Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:56 PM   #1
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

gerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where can I find dietary guidelines for kids

besides the MyPlate site?
We've gotten into a rut on unhealthy junk foods that he's now addicted to & I want to squash that now. After vacation, we'll be starting to cut out some of those things.

The good thing is he also loves things like cheese, yogurt, nuts, etc. but he'll eat 3-4 cheese sticks & 2 yogurts or 2 bowls of yogurt (or more if I don't catch him) in a day on top of a glass of milk. With the yogurt, he'll fill a bowl not measuring how much so it's probably more than a serving.

I'll use the myplate materials if there's nothing better but I know that many are not a fan.

Thanks.
gerberadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:10 PM   #2
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where can I find dietary guidelines for kids

I found a few things helpful in teaching my kids about healthy eating:

1. Talking about a balanced meal needing protein, fat, and carbohydrates (protein and carbohydrates for energy, fat to fill you up so you don't get hungry too soon after eating). I think this is a positive way to look at food - 'does my meal have everything I need to feel full, enjoy the taste, and have the energy I need for my activities?' vs. 'i can't have xyz'

2. Sugar limit per day - 20g/day is a healthy limit for kids (for added sugars - we don't count fresh fruit). Maybe start at 25g if you're just starting out in limiting added sugars). My kids know how to check labels and total it up, and that helped them make better choices. For example, if they really wanted to have candy from Awana then they'd forgo a different treat earlier in the day. It also helped us make better choices about things like ketchup, jelly, yogurt, and maple syrup on pancakes (which is a special treat and not the norm). Each of those things can have added sugars, but within each category some have more than others (ex. Ketchup and pasta sauce often have added sugars, but a few brands don't so we tend to choose those). Picking just one thing to limit (sugar) actually works to weed out a lot of less healthy choices, and especially limit the quantity of them. If you give him the choice of how he wants to fill his 20g quota that can help him feel empowered food-wise too.

Also remember that it takes ~3 weeks for taste buds to turn over, so expect the first few weeks to be harder b/c he will still crave the junkier food. But if you revamp it with his input and know it will be easier in a few weeks that can really help too!
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (09-05-2017), gerberadaisy (09-05-2017), Llee (09-05-2017), ViolaMum (09-05-2017), Virginia (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 04:06 PM   #3
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Dr. Sears has some great resources. I have The Family Nutrition Book, but I think he has some newer ones and also nutrition books for children to read.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
gerberadaisy (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 04:28 PM   #4
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

I'm frustrated with the lack of non-industry-driven resources out there.

One thing I teach my kids is that if you're going to have a snack/junk food like desserts, chips, crackers, etc, you look on the package and see what a serving size is, serve yourself that on a plate or bowl, etc, then put the package away and then eat your serving. Better habit than mindlessly eating a bag of chips or M&Ms.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
bananacake (09-06-2017), ECingMama (09-06-2017), gerberadaisy (09-05-2017), lavenlove (09-09-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 04:44 PM   #5
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

I go in spurts reminding/enforcing this but one rule we have is two fruit/veg snacks before anything else. AND if not full after first snack do a protein or fat.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
gerberadaisy (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 08:45 PM   #6
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

gerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond repute

These are great tips & I'll keep them all in mind.

I was looking for something more along the lines of a break down in the food groups similar to myplate but with a more whole foods mentality. My guy is 5 so myplate is great for being on his level.

We eat everything & have no allergies or food restrictions. I just have a hard time breaking down what he needs of each. If myplate is still the best resource out there I'm good with it, I was just wondering if there was something better. We will definitely start with the one thing - sugar at first. & thanks for the tip about taking at least 3 weeks. I know he & my hubby are going to go at this all kicking & screaming - aww, who are we kidding, I will as well..

I'll definitely look into the Dr. Sears books.

Sugar is definitely our biggest culprit & white flour vs whole wheat/grain. We all have a big sweet tooth & we affectionately call our son a carbivore because if he would ever have to choose 1 food to eat for the rest of his life it would definitely be a carb - probably bread or pasta. I absolutely despite ww pasta but I don't mind ww bread. I'm not a huge fan of all the rest of the grain family unless you want to go with corn - I'm a huge fan.

He's small for his size & extremely healthy so none of this is coming from an emergency situation but I would like to bring us all to a place where we don't pass on the bad habits of at least my childhood to him. I know it'll be a long road because none of us really want to give up the "good stuff".
Old 09-06-2017, 06:18 AM   #7
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

My plate is certainly not "bad" in terms of a resource, and certainly is completely adaptable to a whole foods diet

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
gerberadaisy (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 07:18 AM   #8
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post
My plate is certainly not "bad" in terms of a resource, and certainly is completely adaptable to a whole foods diet
I was under the impression it was wrong in terms of the breakdown of the food groups & accurate nutritional needs. But I could be wrong. If that's not the case, then my problem is solved. I still wouldn't mind some tips about best ways to implement.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:10 AM   #9
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerberadaisy View Post
I was under the impression it was wrong in terms of the breakdown of the food groups & accurate nutritional needs. But I could be wrong. If that's not the case, then my problem is solved. I still wouldn't mind some tips about best ways to implement.
I think it's fine I don't eat grains or much starches because that's how I feel my best. And we don't eat dairy. But I think for the average person, it's fine and it's certainly a huge leap in the right direction.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2017, 01:25 PM   #10
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerberadaisy View Post
The thing is that many within a Whole Foods perspective eat different things in different amounts. W the exceptionof fruits and veggies although even there will be a huge amount of variables of how many fruits/veggies people think u should have

Some are grain free, some are legume free, some are fruit free. Low protein, high protein. Some are high fat, some are low fat. and most people believe their way is the best way

I know nothing about my plate. Do u want a resource for you to track? To teach him? A resource For him to visualize?

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2017, 02:25 PM   #11
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post
The thing is that many within a Whole Foods perspective eat different things in different amounts. W the exceptionof fruits and veggies although even there will be a huge amount of variables of how many fruits/veggies people think u should have

Some are grain free, some are legume free, some are fruit free. Low protein, high protein. Some are high fat, some are low fat. and most people believe their way is the best way

I know nothing about my plate. Do u want a resource for you to track? To teach him? A resource For him to visualize?
To teach & for visualization mostly. Also, if I don't have something to DO, it doesn't often get done so I'll say we're going to do XY& Z but if I don't have something to actually implement other than an idea, well, that's as far as I get.

That makes sense. I get the different "diets" people are on with in whole foods & maybe that's where I was confused. We're not gluten free, paleo, dairy-free or anything so I guess it should work for us with a little tweaking in the carb area because I guess that's what I think is best for us. Thanks ladies.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:35 PM   #12
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

MyPlate tends to be more carb-heavy than I think is ideal, but if you reframe most carbs as 'need to look like actual grain, not be processed into flour/packaged goods' that helps with serving size.

Ex. Quinoa or wheat grains vs. packaged cookies made with 'whole wheat flour' - the plain grain will be a better whole food choice for the carb category.
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post: