Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Canning / Preserving *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 05-26-2015, 11:16 AM   #1
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Summer Canning 2015

Still have so much to learn!

I plan to make some peach butter very soon. If I buy organic and put them in the food processor first, can I use the peals? I don't mind removing them, but if they have some nutrients without chemicals, I'd like to keep them.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:32 AM   #2
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Summer Canning 2015

i keep the peels on my apples for apple sauce and apple butter, so i would assume it is fine

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (05-26-2015)
Old 05-27-2015, 05:30 PM   #3
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I have done peach jam and left the peals on. It was great.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (05-27-2015)
Old 05-29-2015, 07:53 AM   #4
derdsgirl
Rose Trellis

derdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hoping to do some pressure canning this summer, in addition to strawberry jam, salsa, and whole peeled tomatoes like last year. I need to get a pressure canner first...
derdsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:11 AM   #5
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

SCORE!! Went to the farmers market to one place that has organic peaches. When the guy was getting the basket out of the big cooler, dd noticed a basket of plums. I asked how much they were and he said they were very ripe and he would just give them to me. Well, very ripe plums = plum butter by morning....for the cost of the honey that goes in. Epic win for the newbie.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
derdsgirl (06-16-2015), graciousmomma (06-22-2015), Mother of Sons (06-15-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 08:11 AM   #6
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

We went strawberry picking this morning. That should be strawberry jam, strawberry kiwi jam and strawberry lemonade concentrate by this evening.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (06-15-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 11:05 AM   #7
mom23sons
Rose Bouquet

mom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to all

Next week starts strawberry season here....I have rhubarb and will be making strawberry rhubarb jam....yummy.
I haven't needed to make jam for a couple of years as what we had, has lasted this long.
ds has asked for blackberry jam, also.
We used to get peaches from an elderly man nearby, but he was called home by the Lord this winter. So will have to see if his daughter will be handling that.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:01 PM   #8
CelticJourney
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23sons View Post
Next week starts strawberry season here........
Just got notice that ours ends this week .... it's kinda fun to see the regions differences.

Canning lesson of the week. When doing peaches 30 sec isn't enough, but WOW does the 60 seconds in the boiling water make a huge difference in getting the peals off. Now maybe it's the state of the peaches (some had to be tossed), but it was such a wonderful thing to not sit and peal for hours to get the job done.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:33 PM   #9
mom23sons
Rose Bouquet

mom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to all

If peaches aren't fully ripe then they take a bit more to get peels off! I am looking forward to fresh juicy strawberries that actually have flavor....the ones in the store don't have any flavor, imo.
CelticJourney (06-17-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 01:51 PM   #10
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

The ones I picked didn't either. Either too tart or mostly flavorless. Very disappointing! I made 12 pints of strawberry lemonade concentrate and 4 half pints of jam. I put close to 15 cups in the freezer for later.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:11 PM   #11
CelticJourney
Administrator

How do you make the lemonade?

Old 06-17-2015, 04:04 PM   #12
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

6 cups of berries
4 cups of lemon juice (fresh is better)
6 cups of sugar

Purée the berries and put in a large pot with the lemon juice and sugar. Heat to -90 degrees. Don't boil. Skim foam. WB for 15 minutes. The recipe says it makes 7 pints but it only made 6 for me. Mix one pint of concentrate with 3 pints of water (more or less water to taste)
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (06-18-2015)
Old 06-18-2015, 04:14 PM   #13
CelticJourney
Administrator

Got a message today that the berry patch is having a two day 'emergency' picking tomorrow and Saturday. They had planned to open next Friday, but there is concern that if we get forecast storms after all this intense heat, the berries will split.

If I get enough to make two batches of blueberry butter, 80% of my Christmas stash will be DONE.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:08 PM   #14
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Strawberrie rhubarb jam made at my mom's today. We picked it all in her yard.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (06-19-2015), graciousmomma (06-22-2015)
Old 06-18-2015, 08:42 PM   #15
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

I like your jars!