Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* > Cloth Diapering & EC *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Cloth Diapering & EC *Public* A public forum.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:47 AM   #1
Godslilgirl225
Rose Blossom

Married to DH since 2009, Two ginger DS babies 2013/2015, Chihuahua mom, Forever Changed

Godslilgirl225 is on a distinguished road
Default Anybody use cloth diapers?

Specifically AIOs?

I want to possibly restash with just aio for simplicity. We have been using prefolds/fst and covers.

(Our rental has the world's worst washer so we are taking a break. Giving us a chance to save up for a restash! Woo hoo!)

Best and worst brands? Pros and cons of aio?

Thanks ladies!
The call to follow Christ is inextricably connected to the call to serve others in love. Who needs to experience the ministry of the body of Christ more than the insecure, the weak, and the helpless? Into our arms He delivers these new ones, and He is faithful to empower us to have all that we need to be His hands and feet to them." Spirit-Led Parenting
Godslilgirl225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:21 AM   #2
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody use cloth diapers?

I did and used mostly AIOs after a certain age. (that and prefolds and covers were my go to choices) right now I have a large stash of cotton babies BG organics waiting for another LO to grow into. They actually aren't my favorite the fit has always been kinda wonky on my kids.. But I got a GREAT deal new they would have run somewhere in excess of $600-$700 I collected then all for under $200. We will make them work.

---------- Post added at 07:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 AM ----------

oh pros and cons

Pros- super easy to use and that pro is a biggie

cons- can be expensive, ussually not super night or nap time worthy so another solution might be needed for those times. Can be harder to clean and often has longer drying times.
Godslilgirl225 (11-17-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 07:25 AM   #3
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute

There's a whole sub-forum for CD'ing. You might do a search there to see what people have recommended.

I've used BG's, Fuzzibunz, Thirsties, and Happy Heinies. Reasonably happy with all of them, but I got them all in used condition, so the elastic and whatnot was already worn out on some of them.

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:37 AM   #4
Godslilgirl225
Rose Blossom

Married to DH since 2009, Two ginger DS babies 2013/2015, Chihuahua mom, Forever Changed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-EyedLady View Post
There's a whole sub-forum for CD'ing. You might do a search there to see what people have recommended.

I've used BG's, Fuzzibunz, Thirsties, and Happy Heinies. Reasonably happy with all of them, but I got them all in used condition, so the elastic and whatnot was already worn out on some of them.
I knew there was one but couldn't find it on this mobile thing! It's a learning curve I'll dig around some more to find it. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmommy View Post
I did and used mostly AIOs after a certain age. (that and prefolds and covers were my go to choices) right now I have a large stash of cotton babies BG organics waiting for another LO to grow into. They actually aren't my favorite the fit has always been kinda wonky on my kids.. But I got a GREAT deal new they would have run somewhere in excess of $600-$700 I collected then all for under $200. We will make them work.

---------- Post added at 07:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 AM ----------

oh pros and cons

Pros- super easy to use and that pro is a biggie

cons- can be expensive, ussually not super night or nap time worthy so another solution might be needed for those times. Can be harder to clean and often has longer drying times.
Not nap and night worthy bc they leak?

my guy got way chubby around 6 mos but it didn't last very long. He was a skinny newborn and is a skinny toddler lol I don't want to spend the money on fitted aio but fear I may need to since the few one size covers/pockets we tried were HUGE for most if his baby days so cool u snagged them for a steal! Were they seconds?
The call to follow Christ is inextricably connected to the call to serve others in love. Who needs to experience the ministry of the body of Christ more than the insecure, the weak, and the helpless? Into our arms He delivers these new ones, and He is faithful to empower us to have all that we need to be His hands and feet to them." Spirit-Led Parenting
Old 11-17-2014, 09:10 AM   #5
sprout
Rose Garden

sprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond repute

I have not bought new dipes in a very long time. My fav AIO have always been fuzibuns. I don't know what I would get now if I had to restash. But, the shopping would be fun!
sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:19 AM   #6
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslilgirl225 View Post
I knew there was one but couldn't find it on this mobile thing! It's a learning curve I'll dig around some more to find it. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

Not nap and night worthy bc they leak?

my guy got way chubby around 6 mos but it didn't last very long. He was a skinny newborn and is a skinny toddler lol I don't want to spend the money on fitted aio but fear I may need to since the few one size covers/pockets we tried were HUGE for most if his baby days so cool u snagged them for a steal! Were they seconds?
I have tiny newborn they swim in preemie stuff. Mine stay on the smaller side through the diaper years.
One size don't fit mine well till around 5 months. The work just really bulky from about 10 weeks or so..
I dont find most aio alone assorbent enough for long stretches. Pockets can but i despise stuffing.
Yes the stash i have was bought second hand but 10 were new in package.. the rest range from like new to fair condition.

Last edited by milkmommy; 11-17-2014 at 09:22 AM.
milkmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to milkmommy For This Useful Post:
Godslilgirl225 (11-17-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #7
Godslilgirl225
Rose Blossom

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmommy View Post
I have tiny newborn they swim in preemie stuff. Mine stay on the smaller side through the diaper years.
One size don't fit mine well till around 5 months. The work just really bulky from about 10 weeks or so..
I dont find most aio alone assorbent enough for long stretches. Pockets can but i despise stuffing.
Yes the stash i have was bought second hand but 10 were new in package.. the rest range from like new to fair condition.
Sounds like our babes are similar builds

After all the folding of flats I have a bad taste in my mouth. They're cheap and great don't get me wrong! But I can't imagine keeping up w it when we have two kids. I have piles of diapers waiting with just one kid. I would never stuff our diapers. I would reach for our night time disposies constantly lol
Old 11-17-2014, 09:28 AM   #8
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

I have mad flat folding skills.. still hate them..I do like prefolds though.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #9
mamamonkey
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

I Batman!

mamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond repute

I used AIOs and AI2s mostly with DS and will again with this baby.

The biggest part of our stash is Bum Genius (the old style, I don't like the one size ones). I also have Rainforest Babies and Daisy Doodles (they don't make these anymore) that are AI2s that I love. My newborn stash for this baby are Swaddlebees and Blueberry Simplex AIOs and BG. I'm probably going to try some GroVia as well.

I also have a small mix of fitteds and covers. I HATE pockets. I've used prefolds before but DH hates them.
to the spider monkey (6)
to the orangutan (17)
and to Piper Bee (the capuchin's twin) 10/14
mamamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:35 PM   #10
Godslilgirl225
Rose Blossom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamonkey View Post
I used AIOs and AI2s mostly with DS and will again with this baby.

The biggest part of our stash is Bum Genius (the old style, I don't like the one size ones). I also have Rainforest Babies and Daisy Doodles (they don't make these anymore) that are AI2s that I love. My newborn stash for this baby are Swaddlebees and Blueberry Simplex AIOs and BG. I'm probably going to try some GroVia as well.

I also have a small mix of fitteds and covers. I HATE pockets. I've used prefolds before but DH hates them.
Yeah we went prefold/cover route bc it was what we could afford. DH was a good sport and I dare say a pro. But we are both so over it at this point This horrible wash issue since we moved has really killed it for us. I don't know if he will let me restash with Aio's now

(we may b here for a few yrs yet so we shall see-I'll just remind him of the newborn explosions in a disposable and he will change his mind lol)
Old 11-18-2014, 01:12 AM   #11
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Earthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't a big fan of the AIOs I tried. They were leaky and took forever to dry.

If you aren't a fan of flats, my next favourites were shaped nappies with covers, like the tots bots bamboozles. Faster drying and less prone to leaks.
Earthmummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:44 AM   #12
Godslilgirl225
Rose Blossom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthmummy07 View Post
I wasn't a big fan of the AIOs I tried. They were leaky and took forever to dry.

If you aren't a fan of flats, my next favourites were shaped nappies with covers, like the tots bots bamboozles. Faster drying and less prone to leaks.
Does the cost avg out to the same as a aio stash? Bc w sized u have to basically buy multiple stashes as they grow right?
Old 11-18-2014, 08:38 AM   #13
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Earthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy one-size shaped nappies. I've never compared the cost that in depth since I just went with what worked

Isabel
Mama to BB, 13
S, 4
T, 2
And Miss A 27/3/2020

Always missing my 5 9/10-1/12
My new venture! www.facebook.com/dizzyknits

Earthmummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Earthmummy07 For This Useful Post:
Godslilgirl225 (11-18-2014)
Old 11-18-2014, 11:38 AM   #14
Godslilgirl225
Rose Blossom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthmummy07 View Post
You can buy one-size shaped nappies. I've never compared the cost that in depth since I just went with what worked
I'll have hubs run numbers w me
Old 11-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #15
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

We love cloth, but we use all in twos.