Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 12-29-2019, 08:24 PM   #1
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dishwasher. What to get? (got one)

Looking for a new dishwasher. Overwhelmed at all the features!

I know we went a stainless steel tub.

I don't use the dry cycle, doesn't work on plastic and the glass dishes dry just fine without it.

Anything else to look for?
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10

Last edited by kiloyd; 01-07-2020 at 07:53 AM.
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:52 PM   #2
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dishwasher. What to get?

Noise level - mainly an issue if you run it during the day.

Look at reviews some apliences that are new with amazing features don't actually function as well as more simple ones

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-29-2019), Llee (12-30-2019), twoplustwo (12-30-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 08:54 PM   #3
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at 50 decibels.

I wonder about the Smartwash feature. Will it be not enough water like an HE washing machine?
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
The Following User Says Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
knitlove (12-29-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 09:35 PM   #4
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea.

My mom bought a front loader when it brand new and had no end of teouble. And then she got a brand new ' half double oven' where there was a small oven on top instead of a warming draw beneath, and that thing neaver would heat up both oven as planed.

I just know that I don't trust any. Totally new design because they tend to release it before they havethe bugs worked out.

The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-30-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 11:19 PM   #5
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

Bosch! they're SO QUIET! my husband bought me one for my birthday like 4 years ago I think and it works perfectly. Just in the last two months the drawer for the detergent stopped latching but that's an easy fix. seriously, the water draining from it is the loudest part, sometimes we forget it's running and are surprised by the water. mine has controls on top of the door so once it's closed, no little fingers can push buttons. I also really like the inside configuration, I don't have an issue with plates falling forward or odd spaces for things. I really love my dishwasher, genuinely. Buy a Bosch. haha I'm passionate!

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marbles For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-30-2019), Llee (12-30-2019), Virginia (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 07:41 AM   #6
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

We got a Bosch a couple of years ago, too. It was a lower end Bosch on sale but it's still the quietest dishwasher I've ever had. The insulation for this thing is at least double of our previous dishwasher. Our kitchen and living are open plan, so it's nice to have the quiet feature. If your kitchen is separate from the rest of your living spaces, it might not be as important to you.

The only quibble I have is that it can be a little tricky to load pots and pans or odd-sized dishes because it's configured for plates, bowls, cups, and saucers. (I can't fit my sheet pans in it - they are just the tiniest bit too big and stop the water spinner unless I lay them flat, which means one pan takes up the entire rack, which is just inefficient. So those get hand washed. I use them at minimum 3-4 times a week, so it bugs me. I have sheet pans in my dish drainer all the time. They fit just fine in my last dishwasher.)
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-30-2019), Llee (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 08:03 AM   #7
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

My mom has a Bosch and it is very quiet. It also takes forever to run one cycle. Like two hours or more!! I would definitely ask about that. Maybe not all models are like that, but it is ridiculously long to run one cycle.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to esperanza For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-30-2019), Llee (12-30-2019), ViolaMum (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 08:41 AM   #8
kiloyd
Rose Garden

A friend of mine loves her Bosch too. I found one for a good price that is stainless steel tub except I think bottom inside is plastic.

Used to get a decent dishwasher for $400, now more like $500-600. A better Bosch is closer to $1,000.

I pretty much only put plates, utensils, bowls, and cups in the dishwasher. Hand wash all else. Maybe it's because I've not had really good ones? Never had one that would get egg off.

I normally hand wash dishes once a day. With no dishwasher and ds home from college it's 2-3 times a day.

I just want a black outside dishwasher with stainless steel tub and utensil holder not on the door. No fancy steam and delay wash, won't use any of it. I always just use normal wash and no heat dry.

I hate spending so much money on a (to me) not totally necessary appliance.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
The Following User Says Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 09:17 AM   #9
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Our last dishwasher was one of the low water usage energy star machines and it took 2 hours to run a cycle. Our machine before that wasn't one of the water efficient ones and it ran in under an hour (I want to say 45 minutes or so),which was a HUGE adjustment. Our Bosch has the same energy efficient rating, but the regular cycle is 1:45, the delicate cycle is 1:25, and there's an express wash that runs in 1 hour.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 09:38 AM   #10
kiloyd
Rose Garden

https://www.sears.com/kenmore-elite-...&blockType=G3#

Click on the picture and tell me what you think of that tiny top rack.

I'm all for saving the planet. But when it comes to washing things, water is needed!
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
Old 12-30-2019, 09:39 AM   #11
knitlove
Rose Garden

Are you look g at them in person? If so I would totally take your silverware and dishes and see how they fit!

The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 09:47 AM   #12
kiloyd
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
Are you look g at them in person? If so I would totally take your silverware and dishes and see how they fit!

Like the washing machine commercial where they brought laundry to fit?

I have looked in person at Lowe's and The Home Depot. Looking online right now, our Sears is 45 minutes away.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
Old 12-30-2019, 10:38 AM   #13
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
Noise level - mainly an issue if you run it during the day.

Look at reviews some apliences that are new with amazing features don't actually function as well as more simple ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloyd View Post
I hate spending so much money on a (to me) not totally necessary appliance.

We look at reviews and always get the baseline type. Because I feel the more features the more things to break. And I too hate spending money on appliances because I feel they just need to be replaced eventually, so just get the base and someday Ill have a different one.

2 things I don't care about - 1. noise level. Our dishwasher is by no means noisy but it's not 100% silent like my sisters. We generally run the dishwasher overnight or in the am after breakfast so don't notice the any noise. Since it's after we eat we aren't at the dishwasher to notice the noise.
2. Run time - our newest one is also water efficient and I can't believe how long it takes to run. Longer than our old one. Like 2 hours if I had to guess. But again, we generally eat, fill it and run it - so it's not a problem and I wouldn't factor in run time in the future.

So basically all we cared about was cost and long lasting. Oh and to match our other appliances. With only 4 people and handwashing water bottles, pots, pans, etc we do about 1 dishwasher load a day. We have a Fridgedaire.

I HATE appliance shopping so good luck on your journey.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-30-2019), Llee (01-03-2020)
Old 12-30-2019, 11:03 AM   #14
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

The EPA rules are what make the cycles take 2 hours.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-30-2019), twoplustwo (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 12:08 PM   #15
knitlove
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post

2 things I don't care about - 1. noise level. Our dishwasher is by no means noisy but it's not 100% silent like my sisters. We generally run the dishwasher overnight or in the am after breakfast so don't notice the any noise. Since it's after we eat we aren't at the dishwasher to notice the noise.
I wouldn't say that I care about noise either but the one we currently have is so so loud . It will make you jump when you are in a different room when it changes to different parts of the cycle. If we had a totally open concept it would be really hard to do anything when it is running. So noise level is now on my radar because I know how freaking loud they can be.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
Llee (01-03-2020), twoplustwo (12-30-2019)