Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* > Cloth Diapering & EC *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Cloth Diapering & EC *Public* A public forum.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:52 PM   #16
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are your favourite cloth diapers! 2016

By far my favorite prefolds are the osocozy better-fit prefolds. They are a lot shorter so you don't have to fold them down in the front (they only work if you just lay them in the diaper cover, though- they don't pin or snappi, but I don't pin diapers- if you do pin or snappi, don't get the better fit, but the osocozy prefolds are still great!). I buy mine from clothdiaper.com (though I'm lucky that is a local store for me so I just go there). I have some infant and some premium. I also use the regular infant ones in between those, so go from better-fit infant to regular infant to better-fit premium. My girls never wore the premiums, though- I put them in undies before they needed the better-fit premiums. The better-fit premium is about the length of the regular infant but and the better-fit infant is about the length of regular newborn. They just have more absorbancy than the other sizes of the same length.

I have never used flats.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Sweet Life (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 07:35 PM   #17
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Life View Post
Any recommendations for best prefolds and flats? And for those who use flats do you find they aren't absorbent enough as baby gets bigger? Do you switch to prefolds later on?
I like pad folded flats for older babies and I mostly use receiving blankets. I also tried flour sack towels (suggestion from another diapering board) but didn't find them to be as absorbent.

With prefolds, I have the older style (green edged infant, blue edged premium) and I've had the red edged from Green Mountain Diapers. The red edge size is great, but I was pretty disappointed at how quickly the GMD prefolds wore out compared to my older prefolds. When folded into the cover they are the same size as the receiving blanket flats and those work a lot better for us.
Sweet Life (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 08:48 AM   #18
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I will openly admit that I'm out of practice since my baby just turned 8 BUT since we're talking classic diapers, I'm sure the application is the same.

My fave prefolds and flats were from GMD. http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/

LOVED the red edged ones. Totally my faves and lasted through all four of my kids.

I also loved flats and totally found them absorbent enough as the baby got older. Simply required additional folding or layers. I would just add in more absorbent layers on the inside if additional absorbency was needed. Hemp was one of my faves for trim absorbency.

That said, I loved variety and my cd'ing was never comprised of just one type. I had multipes of all of them. And used the different systems at different times.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:56 AM   #19
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

What loved about flats is that if I needed more absorption I could adjust the fold and then when they were toddlers ( and my diapers were wearing out) I would just fold two of them together. I bought 2 dozen flats for early bird and used then untill they fell apart right as she was potty training. For wiggle worm I needed 3 dozen becase as a baby she went through so may more, we often used almost all 3 dozen in up in my two to three day wash cycle.

The flats I loved the most were from Green mountain diapers the unbleached ones.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:48 AM   #20
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

My stash is almost entirely GMD prefolds. My red edged ones are starting to fall apart - but they're going on 7 years of almost constant use. I've switched covers over the years - I did all Thirsties with G and now use mostly wool.

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:27 AM   #21
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Earthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm feeling quite pouty that GMD isn't available in the UK

Isabel
Mama to BB, 13
S, 4
T, 2
And Miss A 27/3/2020

Always missing my 5 9/10-1/12
My new venture! www.facebook.com/dizzyknits

Earthmummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:16 PM   #22
SalH
Rose Trellis

SalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond repute

Presumably you could order from the US if you want something from overseas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2017, 05:43 PM   #23
JoannaV
Rose Trellis

JoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond repute

I use flats during the day and doubled prefolds at night. For older children I fold a newborn prefold inside the flat. If I slack on the laundry and I run out of those then I use a Gerber flat for extra absorbency. (I was given a pack, and at first they seemed to lose lots of fluff and be unabsorbent, but actually they're not as bad as I thought.)
My prefolds are GMD. They've lasted through three kids. The yellow ones are losing their outermost layer now, it's odd that the orange haven't yet. I have one Bumgenius (or econobum?) Prefold and it feels nice but is even longer and narrower than GMD so seems it'd be hugely annoying on a baby. If I wanted something other than flats I probably would skip prefolds and instead try the GMD workhorses.

My first two dozen flats were GMD. My current three dozen are (three different batches) OsoCozy. My oldest set of OsoCozy are starting to wear like my GMD did, so I'm guessing GMD were similar to start with but I can't remember that long ago. However, OsoCozy don't have labels but GMD do (or did five years ago lol). I don't like the label, it's something extra to think about if you're a bit obsessive about how you hang laundry and fold, but also I think it provides a weak spot for them to start to tear once they get old.

DH (ISFP) 07/09
DS1 01/12
DS2 06/14
DD1 01/16
JoannaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:34 AM   #24
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Earthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalH View Post
Presumably you could order from the US if you want something from overseas?

They don't ship over here. I could ask someone a friend to post them to me but the postage would probably be limiting. Our options for prefolds are kind of limited here

Isabel
Mama to BB, 13
S, 4
T, 2
And Miss A 27/3/2020

Always missing my 5 9/10-1/12
My new venture! www.facebook.com/dizzyknits

Earthmummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:28 AM   #25
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Clothdiaper.com ships all over the world. I just checked for you. I really like their prefolds. If you need covers, too, this package is the cheapest way I know to get good prefolds and covers http://www.clothdiaper.com/package-d...fold-packages/

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Earthmummy07 (02-07-2017), Sweet Life (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 02:16 PM   #26
SalH
Rose Trellis

SalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthmummy07 View Post
They don't ship over here. I could ask someone a friend to post them to me but the postage would probably be limiting. Our options for prefolds are kind of limited here

Do Royal Mail do a post service for overseas? Australia post do now. So they give you a P O box address and you give that to the supplier. You ship from them within America and then you pay the post service of your home country to send it to you. If Australia do it, I would think the Uk would.

---------- Post added at 07:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 AM ----------

https://www.myus.com

This company will do it and post to the uk and lots of other countries. There may be more companies like this so if you want something you can't get, this is how you can do it. Our own postal service run one, and I used it to buy dh a stole on EBay. It worked really well.

---------- Post added at 07:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 AM ----------

https://www.reship.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQ...0aAkXd8P8HAQ#/

Here's another one.

The Following User Says Thank You to SalH For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (02-07-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 07:29 AM   #27
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute

FuzziBunz is having a pretty good sale right now. They've got a few colors of their one size pocket dipes (which were my favorite 4-5 years ago) for $9.95 and a "budget dipe"--which essentially looks just like a BumGenius to me--on sale in several cute colors/patterns for only $4.95. At that price I felt like it was worth trying! Shipping was steep but it still averaged out to $7/diaper which seemed like a steal for brand-new pockets.

I don't *need* any new diapers, really, but I want some girl colors. I'm hoping to sell/trade some of my stash. But first I have to get the stink out of them. I've researched on Fluff Love University...just need to actually work up the motivation/energy to go through all the hassle.
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
schmamy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to schmamy For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (02-08-2017)