Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

View Poll Results: Please check as many as apply and also answer the questions in the first post if you have time!
I've been to a classical homeopath 22 11.00%
I practice classical homeopathy at home. 22 11.00%
We use combination remedies at home. 57 28.50%
I've read books on homeopathy. 25 12.50%
I'm curious about homeopathy. 68 34.00%
What's homeopathy? 6 3.00%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-2008, 10:11 AM   #61
JellyBean
Rose Garden

JellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homeopathy Poll & Support Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean
On ones you find work and use a lot get a bottle dropper...fill it with water and add a few pellets of your remedies. You'll have to succuss it every time you use it (I just tap mine hard on the palm of my hand) but it actually makes the remedy stronger instead of weaker and it makes your remedies last forever!!!
Okay, so I've been doing this but about 1 month into doing it, I started getting floaties so I assumed that maybe I needed distilled water. . . so about 5 days ago I dumped my commonly used ones and started over using distilled water. Last night at bed, my calms forte (insomnia combination) had floaties (some kind of icky black things). SO I got up and checked a few this a.m. and a few have them

has this ever happened to you?
Is the dropper touching your mouth at all? If it does then stuff will grow in your remedy. Also be sure the dropper is a dark amber color (most are) and that it is not stored in sunlight of any kind. I haven't had any problems except for with the ones I left on the window seal and I know my homeopath always said to never let it touch your mouth or that will cause stuff to grow in it. Hopefully that helps!!!
Old 12-15-2008, 10:16 AM   #62
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

or a DAN doctor. does your ds have autism? I couldn't tell from y our post. Even if he doesn't, DAN doctors are knowledgable about food sensitivities. http://www.healing-arts.org/children...es.htm#danlist

If you can afford it and find one who works well w/ children, a classical homeopath could really help as well. Food sensitivities are an over-reaction and homeopathy works better on over-reactions than under-reactions, if that makes any sense. It can work on under-reactions as well but it can take longer.

I know what you mean about it being so different from mainstream medicine and so hard to learn. After about 3 years, I feel like I finally have a good handle on it. It's been well worth it to me. I recommend the Hyland's Kid's Kit. It really helped me get started and it's cured two cases of croup in about 24 hours--when I had doctors telling me it would take 10-30 days w/ prescriptions. It's about $30 retail, about $19 through Frontier, so about the cost of one Rx or 2-3 OTC meds. Mine kit lasts about two years.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:39 PM   #63
KatieMae

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaM
or a DAN doctor. does your ds have autism? I couldn't tell from y our post. Even if he doesn't, DAN doctors are knowledgable about food sensitivities. http://www.healing-arts.org/children...es.htm#danlist
Sensory Processing Disorder is on the Autism spectrum, but Lucas didn't get that official dx, so I can't really say "yes" iykwim. He's "significantly developmentally delayed" - it doesn't really fit in just one category, but he's in the Autism pre-k class. He's hypersensitive, particularly with his mouth, hands & feet, and has a speech delay that is primarily a conversation issue rather than a physical problem that he can't speak; he understands when we talk & has oodles of vocabulary, but can't turn language around & have conversations about something. It's improving, but he's so defensive about his surroundings - he also has a problem with new places or people - that it prevents him from wanting to speak at all. Anyway, I can't say that it's all food related, but I've read so many parents of Aspergers or Autism kids that have seen complete turn-arounds with better/elimination diets, I really want to give it a try... I just need some professional guidance!

Old 12-15-2008, 12:46 PM   #64
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I would try to find a DAN doctor. If you're at all near Chicago, you could go to the Optimal Wellness Center as well. They do amazing things there. They really helped my husband.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:58 PM   #65
KatieMae

No, we're in Atlanta, but there's a DAN dr about 25 minutes from us
Old 10-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #66
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

I got an email asking me to add Gracie's story. This is going to be tough because I'm having a hard time even remembering what her issues were!

As an infant she was very HN. Dh couldn't even hold her, hardly. She was either in the baby carrier, nursing, or asleep in the carrier or asleep still latched on. She had to always be touching me! There were several months where we went nowhere in the car because she screamed so hard in the car. I think she was 2 before she could ride in a stroller w/o screaming. If she had been my 3rd or 4th child I don't know what I wouldve done. Thankfully, she was my first.

As she got older, the huge meltdowns started. Sometimes lasting over an hour. Some days the whole house revolved around her emotions. The only thing that helped her was me being totally calm and patient, available for her. This might lessen it to an hour instead of two. I had to watch the tone of my voice so carefully in everything. Even the slightest hint of aggravation or anger by me or dh could set her off.

She has intense empathy. As a toddler, if she heard another baby crying, she would quickly find a hard surface and start banging her head. she would cry her heart out when she saw a random child being scolded by it's parent, or if the child was crying out of disappointment.

She seemed to have fear of abandonment--even though she had never been apart from me!! If we read a book or watched a show about any kind of family separation, she would cry for hours, even days! If dh and I argued, she would pull us together and tell us to make up. . Her emotions were so up and down, so out of her control. The first time dh took a week-long business trip, she cried and had meltdowns every night, wanted to go back to the airport and get him, even though I tried to tell her he wasn't at the airport anymore. Then, when we went to go get him, she screamed at him to leave and spent the next several hours crying and screaming!

She was a biter, as well. We taught her she couldn't bite us so she started biting herself.

Basically, our whole family often had to revolve around her meltdowns. We couldn't go into a store if she was having one. We'd stay home or in the car until she calmed down. Things like that.

She also was diagnosed with SID, sensory integration disorder. She was paralyzed with fear of loud noises, would not use a public restroom, and could only wear soft, cotton, knit clothes. Not a huge deal, but going from long sleeves to short in the spring or vice versa in fall resulted in huge meltdowns.

The first remedy he gave her stopped her nightmares. She had nightmares w/ a recurring theme of being separated from us and not being able to find us, just wandering around crying for us. But the other issues really didn't improve.

So at our follow-up he asked a few more questions and when I told him that a shirt that was too tight in the neck would make her lash out, hitting, screaming, trying to get the shirt off. After a few other things he said he thought she needed the same remedy as me. That made a lot of sense, I'd always felt SO connected with her, like I understood her so well.

It was like a switch flipped in her. She still would be upset by her typical triggers but the meltdown would last literally seconds (instead of an hour or more!) And then she'd say, "but I'll be okay.". Dh and I walked around the house almost too scared to believe it.
She even read a story book about Pierre Bear, the great hunter of the north, who shot a moose, etc and she laughed instead of crying for DAYS about it. She still prefers not to read "sad" stories but if she does, she's ok.

She's now our easiest child!

I took Simon in about a month ago so I will post his story after awhile.
Posted via Mobile Device
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (10-07-2010), The Tickle Momster (10-01-2010)
Old 10-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #67
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

it won't let me reply to more than one poll option.....

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #68
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

And I don't think I can edit it now that I've made it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #69
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. What a great thread! I need to get a little more serious & dedicated.

I am taking a consitutional remedy for PMDD. It really helps. I really couldn't believe it.

I also have had success with coffea cruda for insomnia. Works great for me. I wonder if it would help my 2.5 ds sleep longer?

Off to see if my library has the books rec'd here.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #70
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

What's PMDD?

Coffea cruda is for when you can't sleep because you can't stop thinking or you're excited (and it helps me, too). It might help a toddler or it might not ...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #71
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

just realized that the start of this thread is old..

I have forgotten most of my homeopathy. I took a course when the kids were little. I need to dig it back out. It is saved somewhere.

For books I have:
The Complete Homeopathy Handbook by Mirando Castro
Homeopathic Medicine for Children and Infants by Dana Ullman, MPH

I took L to a classical homeopath when she was little. I don't know if we really saw any results.

I try to use classical but have multi remedies as well.

I would absolutely love to know all over our constitutional remedies.

We have a local classical homeopath that I have talked to on the phone and via email but I am not sure what my impression of her is.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:25 PM   #72
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

PMDD is Pre-Menstrual Disphoric Disorder. Basically, REALLY bad PMS. for me, it includes rage, inability to tolerate noise, etc.

I knew that about c.c. I do have that issue myself. I wonder what might help a toddler sleep?

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:05 AM   #73
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

I am very excited and hope and pray we have a tremendous success story for ds soon. . . his first visit to the homeopath is Monday - we are going to LisaM's homeopath

I'd like to eventually get the whole family there but it's going to be one at a time so we can pay cash for it

Lisa, thanks for posting your dd1's story. If she's going to be my daughter in law someday. . . .

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tickle Momster View Post
PMDD is Pre-Menstrual Disphoric Disorder. Basically, REALLY bad PMS. for me, it includes rage, inability to tolerate noise, etc.

I knew that about c.c. I do have that issue myself. I wonder what might help a toddler sleep?
We have used Calms Forte for kids and I am currently giving dd kid calm which is a homeopathic combination remedy.

All of my kids have always had trouble sleeping, staying asleep and they often don't get restful nights sleep It's something I plan on discussing with the homeopath!

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
The Tickle Momster (10-09-2010)
Old 10-07-2010, 10:05 PM   #74
SilverMoon
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

It takes less time to do a thing right than to explain why you did it wrong. — Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

SilverMoon has disabled reputation

A year ago this month I started seeing a psychiatrist that uses homeopathy to treat depression. He had me take two remedies to start out, and I kept taking the prescription antidepressant I'd been taking. I sought him out because I thought the AD was no longer working and my previous psychiatrist shamed me rather than listened.
I saw quick improvement to my mood taking the two remedies he prescribed, to the point where a month later I decided to go off the AD. I slowly weaned, taking almost 2 months and I've been off the prescription AD for 8 months with no signs of relapse, despite this being prime depression season for me.
As I went off the AD, though, other emotional issues came up. I found myself getting stuck in a cycle of shame and guilt, plus fighting that knowing I had nothing to be guilty or shamed for. He prescribed another remedy, which works wonderfully.
I now self-regulate. When agitated, I take the stand-by. Every three days (or so because I forget), I take one remedy if shame and anger toward myself are present. I take a different remedy if I feel anger that's directed outward, toward family or others.

"Trust is rebuilt by focusing not on what the other person did or did not do but on critiquing one's own behavior, improving one's trustworthiness, and focusing attention not on words and promises but on actions, attitudes, and ways of being."
— Kenneth Cloke and Joan Goldsmith
The Art of Waking People Up

for the many, many wise voices we've lost

SilverMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SilverMoon For This Useful Post:
cobluegirl (10-07-2010), Soliloquy (02-12-2011)
Old 10-08-2010, 07:17 AM   #75
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

SilverMoon

SonshineMama: I've been praying that your appt Monday will really help!!

It's herbal, not homeopathic, but Valerian Super Calm helped Simon stay asleep when he was having crazy night wakings.

For Fiona and Justice, I give them Nelson's sleep aid which is homeopathic but a combo. I gave it to Justice last night actually. He was waking every 5 minutes and I was losing my mind. Then I remembered that and he slept several hours at a stretch the rest of the night.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Soliloquy; 02-12-2011 at 01:25 AM. Reason: fixed username
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
The Tickle Momster (10-09-2010)