Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] > Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* A public forum.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:14 AM   #16
CakeLady

Default Re: Oh - it's back... My happy low-fat vegan food thread!

I loved your last thread...and can't wait to see what things you are cooking.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:00 PM   #17
momyshaver
Rose Trellis

Grace is for mamas too!

momyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud of

subbing for yummy ideas.
momyshaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:07 PM   #18
KLin
Rose Garden

KLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond repute

More ideas please
KLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #19
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Location: High above a great and beautiful canyon in a Golden State city...
Firebird Rising has disabled reputation

Vegan Low-Fat Crackers

We had these a couple days ago. Unfortunately, I have a sparse and not so exciting collection of cookie cutters, but regardless, these were yummy and made a LOT of crackers.

3 1/2 cup oats
1 cup almonds or pecans
3/4 cup whole wheat flour (I used w.w. pastry)
3/4 cup white flour (unbleached)
1 cup coconut flakes
1 cup water
2 TB honey
2 TB peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt

Process the oats, nuts and coconut in either a blender or processor, dry. Set aside. Process or blend the water, honey, peanut butter, vanilla and salt. Add wet ingredients to the processed ingredients and add all to the flours. Mix well and roll out onto floured board very thinly. Cut crackers with cookie cutters and put on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 7-10 minutes.

If you have to re-roll the dough for any reason, add a few sprinkles of water to keep it from flaking while you roll it.

Inspired by The Country Kitchen by Phil and Eileen Brewer

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks - Gandalf

Firebird Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Firebird Rising For This Useful Post:
domesticzookeeper (02-23-2010), Singingmom (02-23-2010)
Old 03-15-2010, 12:41 AM   #20
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Blueberry Bread Pudding

I've made this three times so far and loved it. The original version came from The Country Kitchen Collection by Phil and Eileen Brewer, owners of a little bed and breakfast in British Columbia. Their recipe calls for another banana and sliced apples.

15 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
3 c soy milk
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 TB Orange Rind
3 TB honey
1 banana
1-2 cups blueberries, frozen or fresh

Blend banana smooth in small amount of the milk. Add salt, vanilla and honey to blender. Pour into bowl, add the rest of the milk and the orange rind.

Fold in the bread cubes. Add blueberries. If using frozen, thaw blueberries in a sieve with warm water, drain as much as possible and place in a small dish with a bowl of flour to coat the blueberries so they don't leak all over the place.

Pour all into greased 8X8 pan or casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until toasted on top.

*You can omit blueberries but would have to change the title to just "Bread Pudding" and that's not so exciting. Or you can use raisins for a traditional bread pudding.

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

Mushroom and Almond Spread

So, I didn't take a picture of this because pretty much, it's not very exciting, just brown mush looking stuff. But while it don't look like much, it's LOVELY on crackers, bread, or celery dipped in it.

1 cup almonds
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
3 1/2 c sliced mushrooms
3/4 tsp thyme leaves
3/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper

Toast the almonds in a 375 F oven until lightly browned, about 10 minutes, cool.

Saute the onion and garlic 3 minutes in a small amount of water. Add mushrooms, thyme, salt and black pepper. Cook until the mushrooms are browned and liquid evaporated.

Toss the almonds in the food processor and grind 'em up good. Then add the rest of the ingredients and process until smooth. Chill before serving.

---------- Post added 03-15-2010 at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-14-2010 at 11:06 PM ----------

Eggplant Potato Moussaka

Eating this tonight and can't seem to stop. Adapted from Veganomican, I've lowered the fat content drastically.

Vegetables
1 lb eggplant
1 lb zucchini
1 1/2 lb Russet or baking potatoes

Sauce
4 large shallots, sliced thinly
4 cloves of garlic, crushed/minced, whatever
1/3 veggie broth or red wine
2 (15 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
2 tsp dried oregano (I didn't have this today and it turned out okay anyway)
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 bay leaf
salt

Cream
1 lb soft silken tofu
1/2 c pine nuts
3 TB lemon juice
1 tsp arrowroot powder, cornstarch, or tapioca flour
1 1/4 tsp salt or to taste

1 c bread crumbs (panko are yummiest)

Preheat the oven to 400. Oil/Spray with Pam three baking sheets, cake pans, or roasting pans.

First, the veggies... Wash eggplant, zucchini, and potatoes, trim off the parts that you probably don't want to eat, like the ends, bad spots on potatoes, etc. Slice all of them lengthwise about 1/4 inch thick slices. Sprinkle salt on the eggplant slices and rub it in gently. Set aside egplant in a colander for 15 minutes to drain. Then rinse in cold water and pat dry with a paper towel.

Spread each vegetable type on a separate baking sheet/pan. It's okay if they slightly overlap. Sprinkle veggies with salt. Lightly spray the tops of the vegetables with Pam. The eggplant typically sticks to the pan the worst so be aware of that when prepping the veggies.

Roast eggplant and zucchini for 15 minutes. Roast potatoes for 20-25 minutes until slightly browned edges. Allow them to cool.

While veggies are cooling...in 1/4 c water in a large saucepan, saute the garlic and shallots until the water evaporates and they just barely start to stick. Add the wine and cook until the onions are translucent. Add in the tomatoes, oregano, cinnamon and bay leaf. Partially cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 12-14 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off heat, remove bay leaf and salt to taste.

Lastly, make the cream by blending the pine nuts and lemon juice. Add the tofu, garlic, arrowroot/tapioca flour/corn starch, salt and pepper. Keep scraping the sides with a spatula. Blend until smooth.

To build your casserole...Lightly oil a 9X13 in pan and preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread 1/4 to 1/2 c tomato sauce, then add a layer of eggplant, of potato, more sauce and sprinkle with crumbs. Spread ALL the zucchini on top. Layer the eggplant, potatoes, sauce and more bread crumbs. Spread the cream with a spatula over the entire casserole. Scatter some pine nuts on top for garnish if you wish.

Bake for 35-40 minutes. The top will crack/split and lightly brown. Cool 10 minutes before serving.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks - Gandalf

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Firebird Rising For This Useful Post:
Singingmom (03-15-2010)
Old 03-15-2010, 06:23 AM   #21
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Gorgeous food!

If you had to use rice milk in the bread pudding, would you thicken it somehow? Since rice milk is thinner than soy.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:30 AM   #22
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singingmom View Post
Gorgeous food!

If you had to use rice milk in the bread pudding, would you thicken it somehow? Since rice milk is thinner than soy.
I wouldn't worry about it. I think rice would do just fine.

Jen D.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

The Following User Says Thank You to Firebird Rising For This Useful Post:
Singingmom (03-15-2010)
Old 03-15-2010, 08:43 AM   #23
joystrength
Rose Garden

Get it? Sock.Monkey. ????

joystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud of

Yea!

I'm trying to go vegan -- as much as I can. Vegan foods are what we "fall back" on due to my kids' allergies (nuts/eggs/dairy) often, so it's nice to find some new recipes. I'm going to try the bread pudding today, I think!!

His joy IS my strength! Live a life of HIS purpose

How long will it go on? If you keep living the way you are living, then you will keep living the way you are living. If you want your life to change, then CHANGE your life. Live differently, for repentance is a way of life. -- DH!

joystrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:13 PM   #24
bliss
Rose Garden

NEUROSPICY!

bliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond repute

You are more than welcome to move in with me and pay rent with yummy food. I've got lots of blankets.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #25
BornFreeBaby
Rose Trellis

BornFreeBaby is a jewel in the roughBornFreeBaby is a jewel in the roughBornFreeBaby is a jewel in the roughBornFreeBaby is a jewel in the rough

Yes!!!! This is great! I just bought the McDougall plan for weight loss and I am hooked!
BornFreeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:01 AM   #26
natalianmama

I am trying the eggplant recipe tonight! Thanks for this thread, I like Mcdougall and I am trying to eat a kind of Mcdougall/Fuhrman combination...your pictures look yummy!
Old 04-09-2010, 07:21 AM   #27
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

sausage anyone?

I'm making some today and will share if it turns out. Also, got a professional camera so pics are going to ROCK now (well I mean as soon as I can figure it out)

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Firebird Rising For This Useful Post:
justTrish (04-09-2010)
Old 04-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #28
justTrish
Climbing Rose
I support GCM!

just me. :)

justTrish is a jewel in the roughjustTrish is a jewel in the roughjustTrish is a jewel in the roughjustTrish is a jewel in the rough

I can't wait to try those crackers!
Old 04-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #29
bliss
Rose Garden

NEUROSPICY!

bliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireshifter View Post
sausage anyone?

I'm making some today and will share if it turns out. Also, got a professional camera so pics are going to ROCK now (well I mean as soon as I can figure it out)
I would LOVE a good sausage recipe - I have a super complicated one that calls for okara and steaming and other obnoxiousness.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #30
Liberated4Christ

sub