Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:06 AM   #1
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Earthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Am I weird? Doing things the old fashioned way?

I just finished the 2016 Flats and Hand washing Challenge by Dirty Diaper Laundry this week. It's a really cool topic to delve into but the basic idea is that you use only flat nappies and covers, and have to hand wash and air dry for 1 week.

I think I might be a little bit weird, but I actually really enjoyed it. I already knew that my favourite chore is hanging washing on the line and taking it in, but I didn't expect to find handwashing nappies to be so... satisfying. It was strangely relaxing and I really enjoyed it.

Then today I noticed that this is kind of a thing for me. I'd rather sweep than vaccume, I enjoy scrubbing my floors with a bucket and cloth and hate using my steam mop. I think part of it is actually being able to see the dirt come away more easily, and part of it is that getting hands on seems to make the work more meaningful, even if it does take a little longer. And I find my depression and anxiety more manageable when I feel useful and accomplished.

Doing things by hand feeds my soul some how.

And now I'm aware of this I can utilise it more often to the benefit of my household. But it's taken me most of the day to come to terms with it being OK if I don't want to use the modern conveniences all the time. Part of me felt silly for wanting to do things 'the hard way'.

I mean I'm not going to swear to never use an appliance again, but I'm giving myself permission to scrub my floors if I want to, or hand wash a load when I feel like it.

Anybody else enjoy doing things by hand or am I actually just weird?
Earthmummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Earthmummy07 For This Useful Post:
melliethepooh (05-24-2016), Quiteria (05-24-2016), squiddles (05-25-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 07:21 AM   #2
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I weird? Doing things the old fashioned way?

I don't always think about doing things the harder or old-fashioned way, but I do like when motors don't need to be involved. A steam mop, washing machine and dryer all come with noises that can become irritating over time.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:29 AM   #3
MidnightCafe
Rose Garden

MidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I wouldn't choose to do those particular things by hand. BUT, I've been following the Instant Pot thread with some amusement, because I keep thinking I'd just rather simmer a pot of broth on my stove all day (though I still have trouble choosing a day & getting it going). Or take 45 minutes to cook rice. Or 15 minutes to boil eggs. I make yogurt in an insulated cooler with hot water bottles and a thermometer. I make cold press coffee in a regular pitcher. I *do* use a crockpot...primarily for beans. And I love my blender, mixer, and food processor. Soooo...I'm not opposed to appliances in any way. But, I think there are some things that we each like the "feel" of doing by hand. I watched someone sewing by hand the other day, and it looked sooooo relaxing.

Laundry seems incredibly time-consuming to me; I could never imagine doing it by hand. But, then again, we washed a few things by hand while on a 12 day camping trip last summer, and I was surprised that it wasn't really that big of a deal.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:51 AM   #4
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

MaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone has something that makes them feel grounded. That would NOT make me feel grounded but there is nothing to feel embarrassed about at all that this is your thing.
MaySunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaySunflowers For This Useful Post:
gerberadaisy (06-01-2016), MercyInDisguise (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 08:09 AM   #5
ReedleBeetle
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Hangin' on for dear life!

ReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond repute

I like mopping on my hands and knees.... Well.... I sit crisscross applesauce. I think the floor gets cleaner. It just feels so good! I love it. I can't really do it though.

I hand wash our carpeted stairs with a damp cloth.... Rolling up the animal hair and dirt as I go. It's easier for me than vacuuming them.

Sometimes, sliding my hands into a warm sudsy sink full of dishes feels amazing and I feel so accomplished when I am done. I love the pile of clean, drying dishes.

I love hanging clothes on the line. We don't have a clothes line.... So I haven't since I lived at home, but I miss it. I love the physical act, the visual fluttering and blowing, the sunshine fresh scent..... Mm mm mm.

Single Momma to LegoCraft May 2005
ReedleBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:16 PM   #6
Trixie
Rose Blossom

Trixie has a spectacular aura aboutTrixie has a spectacular aura aboutTrixie has a spectacular aura about

I hand washed clothes for a few months to save money from the laundry mat to save for a washer/dryer. I also don't mind sweeping and doing things "the hard way". To me it is almost meditative to do the work and I love that I am blessing my family with a clean house at the same time.

Mother to
David 2006
Sunshine 2007
Dragon 2008
Mario 2009
Happy 2014
Josiah 2015
Sirena 2016
Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:30 PM   #7
bliss
Rose Garden

NEUROSPICY!

bliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond repute

I LOVE doing that stuff. I hate a lot of housework, but most of what I hate is the picking up junk and organizing part. I love scrubbing, washing, hanging laundry, doing all of that by hand.
Redeemed (05-26-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 03:43 PM   #8
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

I only do towels and bedding on the line, but it makes me feel so good to do it and see it out there too.

I like kneading and shaping dough a lot.

I think feeling closer to our work physically can be really beneficial. That said, I got a new canister vac and I want to marry it and have little vac babies with it
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:04 PM   #9
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss View Post
I LOVE doing that stuff. I hate a lot of housework, but most of what I hate is the picking up junk and organizing part. I love scrubbing, washing, hanging laundry, doing all of that by hand.
Can we be neighbors and swap? I could pick up and clean all day actually geting to the vacuuming not do much.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
bliss (05-25-2016), gerberadaisy (06-01-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 10:56 PM   #10
Redeemed
Rose Trellis

Redeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss View Post

I'm right there with you. I can clean all night if I'm majorly stressed!

Child of God since 07/1982.
Wife to Bryan, my best friend and retired soldier, since 06/2014.

Mom to DD (02/1998), DS1 (08/2006), and DS2 (01/2009).
Two w/Jesus (05/2001) and (12/2004).
Stepmom to DSD (06/2007) and DSS (04/2009).
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:25 AM   #11
JoannaV
Rose Trellis

JoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a fan of handwashing, but I think I could enjoy it if someone else somehow made it convenient and easy for me.

I do choose to not have a dishwasher or a dryer. I use flat diapers, and always fold them origami style. I like to vaccuum exclusively with the little end so I can get each piece of dirt.

Oh, I am quite happy with rinsing poopy diapers. It's enjoyable seeing the water turn clear.

DH (ISFP) 07/09
DS1 01/12
DS2 06/14
DD1 01/16
JoannaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:28 AM   #12
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

gerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
Can we be neighbors and swap? I could pick up and clean all day actually geting to the vacuuming not do much.
I was thinking the same thing.

I like hand mashing potatoes rather than using a mixer. I also sometimes like mixing a batter without my mixer.

I have a bread maker & in the summer, am more likely to use that but once it starts getting warm I want to make it the old fashioned way.
gerberadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:31 AM   #13
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I love hanging laundry on the line.

I love washing dishes by hand as long as it's not lots and lots. I use my dishwasher but I enjoy hand washing large pots and things that shouldn't go in the dishwasher. Once in awhile I hand wash all the glasses just because.

I prefer hand scrubbing.

I find weeding therapeutic.

I love shoveling snow.

You're not weird!
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote