Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] > Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* A public forum.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:11 PM   #91
Codi
Rose Garden

Codi has disabled reputation
Default Re: Can I do Charlotte Mason in Indonesia?

Yes. Actually I am.

I just was doing a search to feed my ever growing curiosity and knowledge of CM (might make the switch to CM) and found this thread. While reading (re-reading that is) I wanted to post that quote since it seemed like an important aspect for someone considering CM to know and understand. I quoted Leslie because it supported what she was already saying.

Since this is a stickie, I was just adding info for future readers.

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
Codi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:24 PM   #92
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

illinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond repute

What's funny is its possible Leslie wrote both, since that's her (and others) website -- amblesideonline.org

Mommy to: Ds (9.5), Dd (7), Ds2 (6), and Ds3 (4.5).

illinoismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:44 PM   #93
Codi
Rose Garden

Really? That is funny! I didn't know!

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

This has been the most helpful link for me so far.

It breaks down each subject and lists her techniques for each.

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
Old 06-29-2010, 08:25 PM   #94
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoismommy View Post
What's funny is its possible Leslie wrote both, since that's her (and others) website -- amblesideonline.org
I'd forgotten that was on the website! At least I'm consistent.
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leslie For This Useful Post:
Codi (06-29-2010)
Old 06-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #95
Codi
Rose Garden

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
Old 07-08-2010, 06:02 PM   #96
delightedmama
Climbing Rose

silly crafty messy peaceful-ish me

delightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant future
Default Re: Charlotte Mason?

I think to some degree, labels of homeschooling methods, "unschooling," etc. are semantics... not that they don't have distinct meanings, but people use them to describe different ideas. I myself use different words depending on whom I'm speaking to. People often ask me about my plans for education (yes, even though my little one is only 3 months old... I think because I live in China and they just wonder what options I will have). If I'm talking to someone who's into alternative education, I might say "more structured learning in the morning, unschooling in the afternoons." If I'm talking to someone who'd rather my kids be in U.S. public school, I might say "I'm thinking about using the Ambleside curriculum." Just whatever would be most accurate to that hearer's ears!

empowering women out of poverty by selling their Fair Trade handcrafts with Trades of Hope!
delightedmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #97
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

illinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe sometimes they are semantics but Charlotte Mason is a whole different approach and is unique from other ways, I suggest you do some reading about it and then you will understand.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:43 PM   #98
delightedmama
Climbing Rose

silly crafty messy peaceful-ish me

delightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoismommy View Post
Maybe sometimes they are semantics but Charlotte Mason is a whole different approach and is unique from other ways, I suggest you do some reading about it and then you will understand.
Well, semantics AND point of view, perhaps I have researched Charlotte Mason extensively and originally thought it was almost opposite unschooling. But, I quickly learned that I just didn't know much about unschooling! The more I learn about US, the less I think that way, and the more I see it as very compatible with "relaxed CM-ers".

Now, don't get me wrong... I mentioned in my other post the way I word my homeschooling approach to others who don't know Charlotte Mason, but to those who truly understand her philosophy & methods, I'd just say I'm a CM-er. Even though I'm a trained public school teacher, I feel like the CM method is what is best for me and my child(ren, in the future!). It's just that I no longer see it as "opposing" unschooling. (It's amazing how much in my life follows that pattern... but that's another topic!)

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

Sorry for off-topic but I also wanted to mention that I absolutely LOVE the "If you think my hands are full you should see my heart" in your sig... what a beautiful sentiment, and a great reminder! (I'd kind of like to have a "hand/heart-full" myself... we'll have to see how DH feels as Tigger grows up tho!!)

empowering women out of poverty by selling their Fair Trade handcrafts with Trades of Hope!
delightedmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:19 PM   #99
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by delightedmama View Post
It's just that I no longer see it as "opposing" unschooling.
I don't see it as "opposing" unschooling, but they are two different things. People do combine elements of both successfully in their own eclectic blend, but it's like combining orange and grape soda. Both sodas, both delicious, no issues with people who want to mix them -- but, for clarity's sake, I don't like seeing them called the same thing. I like things clearly and distinctly defined, and I suspect that the muddling of terms is how so much myth got tangled up with people's impressions of CM.

Edited to say --

I hear what you're saying about who your audience is. If I'm talking to people who aren't familiar with homeschooling, then the name Charlotte Mason isn't going to have any meaning for them, so I might use the same approach you've used and just say something like "we're more structured in the morning..." or the name of the curriculum we're using.

Last edited by Leslie; 07-09-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #100
abh5e8
Deactivated

abh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond repute
Default handwriting vs penmenship vs copywork

ok...so what do you do for handwriting, initially? i know dd is way to young for anything formal...but she loves to write and draw and can already form quite a few letters, that she taught her self. she often asks me to help her with xyz letter...and i tend to jsut write it on her paper how i would write it and go on.

most of her "writing" is pages full of lines of small print made up of straight lines...similar to the letters V, H, I and M.

should i be showing her a specific way to form her letters? or any old way is fine now and later on she will do penmenship and learn how to make them correctly?

help please...?
abh5e8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:29 PM   #101
Codi
Rose Garden

Default Re: handwriting vs penmenship vs copywork

Im not sure if it aligns with CM, but HWT (Handwriting Without Tears) has some great manipulatives she could play with and learn more letter forms.

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
Old 07-14-2010, 05:22 AM   #102
abh5e8
Deactivated

abh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm...i have the teachers guides for HWT for pre and K, but i'm not really interested in "teaching" her per say...more just like, should i be showing her a specific way of writing her letters when she is drawing and playing and asking me, 'mommy help me make an "s" please'

i know janet is using HWT...i just wondered what else CM mamas/families use for handwriting? or even just teaching how to write letters?
Old 07-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #103
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

From the FAQ's "A child learns the physical skills of learning to write, first by perfectly forming each letter, and later by copying sentences or paragraphs. In the beginning, copywork is no more than letter practice - the child works on forming letters perfectly, with the emphasis on neat, accurate formation--quality rather than quantity. A Year 1 child should do only as much as he can do neatly in ten minutes, perhaps only a single word, or a few examples of one letter, such as "a." Some children may not have sufficient muscle coordination to begin writing until 7 years old."

I believe CM covers it in book one. Best to have them form a few perfect letters. However lessons do not begin before 6. We have used HWT in the past to form perfect letters when he wanted to learn how, we are not doing it now, but we will be starting again soon.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #104
abh5e8
Deactivated

right. sorry, should have quoted that. i read it from AO, but i'm still confused about what the "perfect letters" look like.

and i dont want to do any lessons at all yet....i just want to know what to draw on her pad of paper when she coems to me ans says, "mama, show me how to make an A please" ....cause i can think of a bunch of different ways to make an "a", ya know?

off to read book one...
Old 07-14-2010, 03:43 PM   #105
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

Where do you start your letters? At the top!

That's all I know