Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #16
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation
Default Re: Guess What I Got in the Mail Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwillhope View Post
wow! is this really true? ok...this is in response to something I need to quote. hang on...still learning here.

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

wow! is this really true? does this happen like this?
I'm honestly just speculating . . . but I know that Stockholm Syndrome causes people to love and rely on the people who are holding them captive. And torture results in strange connections. I honestly equate the parenting that Pearl advocates to extreme torture--the people you are looking to for your very survival are hitting you if you roll this way or say that, they are calling you names, denying you food, forcing you to eat food, demanding you do this, setting you up to fail at that . . . at some point it becomes unsafe to make any thought/choice of your own. It becomes a matter of survival to learn how to think exactly the way your captor wants you to think. And when this is done BEFORE the child has the ability to think for themselves, I do believe it would be able to prevent them thinking for themselves, though I would hope that other than extreme situations the child could eventually develop those skills if given the opportunity! But that would require healing, therapy, and desiring to live a different life than the people who controlled your youth would allow. I've seen that happen, but it takes an incredible amount of determination and willpower and I think it is more likely with certain personalities than others.
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (06-26-2012), dulce de leche (06-25-2012), Elyse221 (06-24-2012), HadassahSukkot (06-26-2012), PrincessAnika (06-28-2012), SalH (06-28-2012), Taedareth (06-28-2012), Tasmanian Saint (06-27-2012), tazmom (06-26-2012), Zooey (06-26-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #17
JoEllen
Banned

"When life gives you lemons, cut them in half and squirt life in the eye!" - Unknown

JoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond repute

Nathan Pearl is so cute, yet so brainless. How on Earth does eating green beans even begin to equate with not doing drugs?
JoEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #18
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the logic is that the child learns to obey whatever the parents say and to eat healthy food and take care of their body, which is the the Temple of the Holy Spirit. By the time they are teenagers, they are so conditioned to obeying and taking care of their body that they would never dare to contaminate it.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
kwisie (06-25-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #19
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

It's such backward logic too.

I was forced to eat everything on my plate.

I ended up with huge eating issues, anorexia, bulimia, and more.

While I stayed away from drugs, I sure didn't turn dwn the opportunity to drink, and spent most of my lates teens to the age of 28 drunk, every sinle weekend...

So yeah, forcing me to submit, to eat that shepards pie, well, it sure worked for my prents,

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
Elyse221 (06-24-2012), justbreathe (06-26-2012), Taedareth (06-28-2012), Tasmanian Saint (06-27-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #20
mom2g2b
Rose Bouquet

mom2g2b is a glorious beacon of lightmom2g2b is a glorious beacon of lightmom2g2b is a glorious beacon of lightmom2g2b is a glorious beacon of lightmom2g2b is a glorious beacon of lightmom2g2b is a glorious beacon of light

I got the same thing in the mail too. I homeschool and it probably came from some mailing list I'm on. Yuck.

I recently emailed a lady that offers suggestions for helping your high school student get into college. She sent out a list of books that she likes and TTUAC was on the list. I emailed her and shared how I felt about her suggesting that book.

mom of 2 girls and 2 boys
mom2g2b is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mom2g2b For This Useful Post:
Elyse221 (06-25-2012), Taedareth (06-28-2012), Zooey (06-26-2012)
Old 06-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #21
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

We ask that the kids try two bites, and if they don't like it, they don't have to eat it.

I still distinctly remember being made to clean my plate of things I did not like. I have a hard time trying those things now. I do eat my brussel sprouts if they're made appropriately, but I won't touch sardines or a few other things, and I did struggle there for a while with food.

J3K, I really like what your DH said. I may end up putting that on a sticky note on the fridge.
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #22
MomtoJGJ
Deactivated

MomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond repute

We make our kids eat foods. Well, I guess it's not really make. We require them to eat all their food before they get seconds of anything. Unless it really tastes like garbage, or it's too spicy or something.

But I would NEVER venture to think that that requirement would in turn make them not do drugs?!? Nor is it an obedience issue.

The kids all (well not Evie yet, but she's getting there) know that it's a money and health issue. Of course if they whine and complain over food, then it becomes a politeness issue. but that is not necessarily approached by making them eat it. In fact, most of the time they are excused from the table at that point.
MomtoJGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #23
Zooey
Rose Trellis

Zooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey mommy View Post
We watched a segment on AFV the other night where a little girl was forced to eat green beans. She screamed and cried the whole time. One of the commentators called her a horrible child. . I was able to talk to cias about how horrible that wad, and how when it happened to me, i didn't eat green beans until i was an adult. I was so mad they showed it on there. Sadly it's on dvd, so we watch it often.

I would burn the magazine and send the Pearls the ashes. But they'd probably enjoy that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hey mommy (06-26-2012), hollybells (06-26-2012), rjy9343 (06-30-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #24
Glitterfish
Rose Garden

That's not grey in my hair, it's glitter growing from my head. Duh. (formerly of the sstarcake variety)

Glitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond repute

I just got that same magazine in the mail (because I actually signed up to be on their mailing list before I knew better)

Most of the articles are happy-go-lucky, show the world to your kids, open their eyes to the glory of the natural world and hard work, blah blah blah. I would have drank that all in before, but now I know that those happy kids in the pictures aren't allowed to have a bad day, or show anything other than a happy face. And don't the Pearls have 5 kids? There was a section in there where the Pearls' kids chimed in on something, and only 3 did, that I saw.

So glad I can see the wrongness of it all now

Punky
Peanut
Stinker
two we never got to hold
and one due in May 2015

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!". ~Mythbusters
Glitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glitterfish For This Useful Post:
Elyse221 (06-28-2012), PrincessAnika (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #25
PrincessAnika
Rose Garden

dreaming of purple butterflies & bravehearted seahorsies :)

PrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMama View Post
Eeps, not I'm nervous because I request my kids do a 'try me' bite when I fix something new. If they take 2 bites and STILL 100% hate it then fine, but I do request they at least try it, not just dismiss it because it has something green or red in it...I will say, in most things (not all, but many) once they try it they like it. There are a couple meals that one of the other have tried and still hate. I'm okay with that (and I may still fix it if other people in the family like it, I'll make the one that doesn't like it pb&j or something)...so long as they've tried it.
don't be nervous. one or two bite taste requirements is NOT nearly the same thing as requiring a full and entire huge serving. as my girls get older they will have the same requirements - simply because we don't have the money to allow them to waste huge servings. we also won't be giving them huge servings - if i know the one bite is all they will eat of it, thats all they'll be given. i know there are a lot of foods i don't like, or that i didn't use to like, but after repeated tastes i do.
incidentally, despite being required to eat certain amts of certain foods, i didn't learn to eat foods i didn't like until i was twelve and went to russia on a missions trip, and saw how little they have. while there, even if it was not the most appetizing thing to me, to refuse their hospitality would have been extremely rude and hurtful to them. it took me three trips over six years to learn to like borscht.
Angel m/c 6/12/07 @39d, 4/19/16 @6dpo, 8/3/16 @37d
DD1 - K (peanut) 7/26/09
DD2 - M (monkey) 4/19/11
DS1 - C (squishy) 3/23/13
DS2 - J (rascal) 2/4/15
DS3 - A 6/16/17
11/9/7/5/3

::Q:: I add a little excitement, a little spice, to your lives, and all you do is complain. Where is your adventurous spirit, your imagination?

add me on FB
ISFj/p - depends on the day of the week. type 2. i think.

PrincessAnika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #26
3PeasInAPod
Deactivated

3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute

i really pray they don't have a child with spd. It makes me sick to think how my son would have been treated in such a household.
3PeasInAPod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 3PeasInAPod For This Useful Post:
BlissfullyEsther (06-28-2012), DoulaClara (06-28-2012), HadassahSukkot (06-29-2012), PrincessAnika (06-28-2012), rjy9343 (06-30-2012), Zooey (06-29-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #27
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

Requiring a "thank you" bite is NOT even the same category as forcing your child to eat a food they hate.

Oddly, my parents didn't ever require me to eat things or clean my plate and I never did drugs. Huh.

ETA: I did, however, hide bags of chocolate chips under my bed, which the dog found one evening when we were gone and ate all of it. That was NOT a pretty site to return to after a church outing.

But no drugs. Not even any drinking or smoking but no plate cleaning required or done. Does that make me a Pearl failure?

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Last edited by Llee; 06-28-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (06-30-2012), HadassahSukkot (06-29-2012), klpmommy (06-28-2012), PrincessAnika (06-28-2012), rjy9343 (06-30-2012), Tasmanian Saint (07-02-2012), Zooey (06-29-2012)
Old 06-30-2012, 01:08 AM   #28
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PeasInAPod View Post
i really pray they don't have a child with spd. It makes me sick to think how my son would have been treated in such a household.
My daughter has spd and I have been thankful more than once that God was able to reach me and show me a better way. Ivy would have survived that sort of upbringing, but she would not make out without serious scars. And to be honest, I don't know how you are able to love a child like Ivy in an adversarial relationship because you are so busy trying to win. And beating Ivy would be a full time job that would never end. Both parents would be at odds with the child and even each other from the strain of it.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
Tasmanian Saint (07-02-2012), Zooey (07-01-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 01:47 AM   #29
Whirlwind
Rose Blossom

Whirlwind is just really niceWhirlwind is just really niceWhirlwind is just really niceWhirlwind is just really niceWhirlwind is just really nice

I get so frustrated when people try to force others to eat things they don't want to eat. When I was little, mealtimes were horrible. My parents (trying to help me be healthy) would force me to eat vegetables and the like. I'd be so upset that by the time I finished eating, I'd usually throw up. My mom finally hit a point where she said enough was enough. What was the point of making me so upset about one food item that I vomited the entire meal? I'm so glad she finally reached that point.

Unfortunately, I kinda have food issues. I don't like eating at other people's houses. I'll go to restaurants, or we can eat at my house, but I always make up an excuse to avoid going to someone's house for dinner. I feel like as a guest, manners would dictate that it's polite to eat anything they make for you. But the thought of being forced to eat, even by my own manners, makes me really uncomfortable. I'm the only adult I know who hates being invited to someone's house for dinner!

And it did nothing to keep me away substance use/abuse as I got older!
Whirlwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:06 AM   #30
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Bar/Bat Mitzvah picture with husband Michael.

Location: Within sight and earshot of the Disneyland fireworks
Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute

My mother was forced to clean her plate and would be at the table for hours because she hated it. My grandmother was otherwise a reasonable person and they had a good relationship. My mother never used drugs, but she also had no idea how to regulate if she were full or not and has always struggled with her weight. She also refused to eat or serve lima beans after she got married.

My father's story is similar but he ended up banning liver and onions instead.

My brother and I were told to try a bite of new foods and not given seconds on the "icky" stuff unless we ate the miniscule portion they served us of it. But that was only until they were fairly certain we knew for sure we STILL didn't like ______. Then we ate what we liked of the meal served and that was that.

I still do not use drugs (except by rx) and I have never had a weight problem, unless you count the fact that I am lazy and it took 2 years to loose my pregnancy weight completely. Both of us still hate what we hate. We also are willing to try new things.

My kids have the option of eating it or not. But I am not a short order cook. That is all there is and nothing more. They find a way to stay filled.

---------- Post added at 02:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlwind View Post
Unfortunately, I kinda have food issues. I don't like eating at other people's houses. I'll go to restaurants, or we can eat at my house, but I always make up an excuse to avoid going to someone's house for dinner. I feel like as a guest, manners would dictate that it's polite to eat anything they make for you. But the thought of being forced to eat, even by my own manners, makes me really uncomfortable. I'm the only adult I know who hates being invited to someone's house for dinner!
!

and I offended my (Latina) MIL by refusing food though I tried to do so politely. I don't eat pork. Even before I was kosher it made me literally sick. I told her that her carnitas were probably the best ever, but pork does not agree with me. I was sorry to offend, but honestly, I would rather do that than pretend I like something and be asked to eat more.

At other's houses, I take a bite of the ick and then find the one thing I do like and rave on that. (And yes I was terrified to eat at the house of my Singaporian friends - I survived though. I ate lots of rice.)

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Taylor Jordan11/15/04 SkyeDakota10/12/05
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Heather Micaela is offline   Reply With Quote