Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:11 AM   #1
gardenfreshmama
Rose Garden

Through my daughter's eyes...

gardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Pearls' Excuses (A Satire)

So I wrote this in response to the article Debi Pearl wrote titled "Mama's Excuses" that was pretty and and . Hopefully you will enjoy! Please feel free to add as you wish!!

A Pearl Follower’s Excuses

“We are so happy to be at this play date with you. I hope it’s understood that while at my home you relinquish all discipline to me. What do you mean you’re not comfortable with that? Don’t you know the Pearl’s book has been using proof texting and twisted logic to sell thousands of copies for years now? No, they don’t take responsibility for all those deaths of the children who’s parents were using their specific recommendations. That’s absurd that you would think they should… those parents obviously didn’t read the book close enough.”

“Oh I know Johnny didn’t actually do anything wrong but this is a training exercise. You have to give children ample opportunity to fail so you can train them and let them know how inferior and stupid they are. What do you mean Paul tells us not to provoke our children in Ephesians? Well that doesn’t apply here. Why? Because it just doesn’t.”

“Come let me wipe your nose, Johnny. Oh yes, it’s normal for children to flinch when you raise your hand. No, it doesn’t mean he fears me. It means he respects my authority. The psychology of fear? No, I don’t believe in that. 75 years of research has nothing on the Pearls’ divine inspiration.

“Why yes, 4 mo old Hannah has been crying for half an hour. She doesn’t want to take her nap and she’s trying to manipulate me into going in there and picking her up. She will learn soon enough. What do you mean she sounds terrified in there? Young babies aren’t capable of feeling fear. Now, where did I put that switch?”

“Of course we use a switch on our children. If I use my hand to spank them they will grow up to fear me. Well I know he flinches away from me anyway, but he’s flinching from the switch, not from me. He only knows love from my hands. What do you mean that doesn’t make any sense? It makes perfect sense. Children are too stupid to know that it is a person using the switch.”

“How can you not believe in using a switch? The Bible clearly says ‘Spare the rod, spoil the child.’ What do you mean that is from a medieval poem and isn’t in the Bible? Of course it is. The Bible says whatever I want it to to make whatever point I’m trying to make right now. No, I’m not open to any logical interpretation of Scripture regarding the Proverbs. Solomon clearly commanded we beat our children and babies with sticks. Well of course the Proverbs are commandments. No, I am not taking one obscure verse out of context and ignoring the entire message of Scripture. My husband told me this is true and I believe whatever he tells me.

“Okay, you clearly aren’t understanding the the Proverbs are commandments. Well of course I have never slit my throat after eating too much. Only certain Proverbs are actual literal commandments, most of the others are figurative proverbial sayings. I KNOW WHICH ONES BECAUSE MY HUSBAND TOLD ME, aren’t you listening?!”

“Oh, don’t worry about Johnny’s hand. He’s not supposed to get the bandaging wet, but it will probably be okay. Of course I’ll tell you what happened. He was showing a little too much curiosity about the stove, so my husband gently touched his hand to the burner to teach him about ‘hot.’ Now, don’t get upset, I said ‘he gently touched.’ Okay, now you sound like the emergency room nurse. Don’t you think I know child abuse when I see it? It’s only abuse if you hate your children. When you burn them in love, that’s called training. At least he knows the difference between hot and cold now. No, we couldn’t have used something other than the absolute extreme to teach him. Children are stupid, remember?”

Goodness, Hannah is still crying. Has it been an hour already? Babies will just do anything to get what they want, won’t they?! Can you believe how early the selfish sin nature shows its ugly head? No, she doesn’t need anything. Babies only have physical needs and those have been met. No, she doesn’t have emotional needs, only adults have those, and the husband’s are the most important. I really can’t stress this enough. When daddy’s needs are met, then we can all be happy. We are happy, see?? Well, Hannah will get there. She’ll be more happy after I scourge the sin from her with this switch. Excuse me, please.”

Oh, I know I said children don’t have emotions, but what I meant was that cheerful and happy are the only acceptable emotions. There is no excuse for feeling sad or angry. Well, of course sometimes I feel this way, but that’s different. I don’t know why, it just is. My husband told me it was okay for me to feel bad sometimes, as long as it doesn’t get in the way of his needs. Don’t you know the Bible says that children are to be cheerful and obedient at all times? Showing anger is a gateway to becoming child molesters and rapists. That’s the way I was raised and I turned out just fine. Well, yes I know I have trouble relating to people and I have an intense fear of being vulnerable, but that has nothing to do with this.

Yes, I suppose it’s true that Johnny still acts up in spite of our training efforts. He is still a child, after all. The wonderful thing is, I am able to discern childish behavior from foolish behavior. That’s what’s important, really. The Bible says it is the parent’s job to judge the child’s heart and punish accordingly, so that’s what we do. No, I don’t have a reference for that, I’ll have to ask my husband. Well of course I realize how ridiculous I sound… I wouldn’t expect you to get it. We spank now so our children don’t end up in jail. Well, yes I know 99.99% of people in jail were spanked as children, but isn’t it obvious they weren’t spanked correctly? It is a fine line of spanking to produce child molesters and murderers, and to produce happy, productive members of society. Why do you look so incredulous? There you go, using facts and logic again… well that’s just not going to fly around here, Missy.

Anyway, I need you to go now. It is almost 3:00 and my husband will be home in 2 hours. I have to have the house perfect and supper made for when he gets home, lest he decide to find a proper wife elsewhere. I am so lucky to have a man that has put up with me for this long… he really is a saint. No, he’s not spending time with Rita from work anymore, that’s over. It’s completely understandable, though. After little Hannah was born I had a medical condition that prevented sexual relations for several months… a man has needs, after all! I’m just glad I prayed for his speedy return and God answered my prayers. The Lord is so faithful to those who pray patiently for their husbands. Well, goodbye now!

I'm an INFP and I'm going to save the world! Well... maybe tomorrow. After I get some alone time and a cup of coffee... or maybe after ANNABEL (6.25), ASHER (3.5), and EMMELINE (1) are in school... once DEREK gets his culinary school loans paid off...

Last edited by flowermama; 04-24-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: add italics
gardenfreshmama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 57 Users Say Thank You to gardenfreshmama For This Useful Post:
3boysforme (04-19-2012), a good book under a tree (04-20-2012), Ajani (04-19-2012), Amazement (04-19-2012), Barefoot Bookworm (04-19-2012), blessedmamaofmany (04-21-2012), Castle On A Cloud (04-19-2012), charla (04-19-2012), CrunchySeaSalt (04-19-2012), Damselfly (04-19-2012), Dana Joy (04-19-2012), danou (04-20-2012), Domina (04-19-2012), dulce de leche (04-19-2012), Elibellamiah (04-19-2012), Elyse221 (04-19-2012), EnglishRose (04-19-2012), Esther (04-23-2012), fireweedmama (04-23-2012), FlyingBlueKiwi (04-19-2012), hbmamma (04-19-2012), hey mommy (04-19-2012), hollybells (04-19-2012), homesteadmama (04-19-2012), Joanne (04-23-2012), joysworld (04-19-2012), katiekind (04-19-2012), Katydid (04-19-2012), kwisie (04-19-2012), light of mine (04-19-2012), LilacPhoenix (04-19-2012), Lily (04-19-2012), Maggirayne (04-19-2012), MaybeGracie (04-19-2012), MercyInDisguise (04-19-2012), MissusLeata (04-19-2012), momyshaver (04-19-2012), nessnco (04-23-2012), NewLeaf (04-19-2012), november (04-19-2012), PaperMomma (04-19-2012), Peridot (04-19-2012), Persinette (04-19-2012), Snugglebugmom (05-06-2012), Sparrow (04-19-2012), Starfox (04-19-2012), StrangeTraveller (04-19-2012), SweetCaroline (04-21-2012), Tasmanian Saint (04-23-2012), tempestjewel (04-24-2012), TenderLovingWillow (04-19-2012), Two Little Birds (04-19-2012), Waterlogged (04-19-2012), Wonder Woman (04-19-2012), Zooey (04-21-2012)
The Following User Says they are praying for gardenfreshmama:
Doc (04-19-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 06:30 AM   #2
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Pearls' Excuses (A Satire)

Right on, Lynsey!
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to katiekind For This Useful Post:
gardenfreshmama (04-19-2012), Sparrow (04-19-2012), Zooey (04-21-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 06:46 AM   #3
PaperMomma
Rose Garden

PaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to see that go viral.

Momma to
"Sister" 5yo
"Scoomer" 3yo
PaperMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PaperMomma For This Useful Post:
Domina (04-19-2012), gardenfreshmama (04-19-2012), hey mommy (04-19-2012), homesteadmama (04-19-2012), joysworld (04-19-2012), Maggirayne (04-19-2012), momyshaver (04-19-2012), november (04-19-2012), Persinette (04-19-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #4
Amy
Rose Trellis

chocolate distraction

Amy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to see it go viral also

The part about flinching hit close to home- ds1 still flinches at me when I haven't used corporal punishment for a long time

I loved the "burned in love" bit. It sounds like you hit the nail on the head.
ds2 (4/11)
Married to (since 12/97)

No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of anyone who isn't trying." ~ unknown
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Amy For This Useful Post:
Ajani (04-19-2012), gardenfreshmama (04-19-2012), Maggirayne (04-19-2012), Persinette (04-19-2012), Zooey (04-21-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
Wonder Woman
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Yep. I'm a 3.

Wonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond repute

I just want to know which kid in your satire got tripped into the pond and nearly drowned?

Seriously, my father thought he'd teach me to swim that way. Apparently, my panicking, falling to the bottom of the lake, gulping in water, and nearly dying was REBELLION on my part. If I were an obedient child, I'd have floated.
I wish I were making that up.

The casual "thought we'd make our kid think they were drowning" mention was one of the most nightmarish parts of that book for me

Excellent, excellent post - I've shared on all my social networks.
Wonder Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wonder Woman For This Useful Post:
cro (04-19-2012), gardenfreshmama (04-19-2012), Maggirayne (04-19-2012), Sparrow (04-19-2012), Zooey (04-21-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #6
zak
Administrator

Friend of the Fellowship

zak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond repute

I just clicked around a bit on the NGJ site. . Really? I knew there was a reason I stayed away from that garbage.

That original Mamas Excuses article. Ew.

Love your reply!

Dedicated GCMer since 2003

Administrator and Moderating Cradled, Babes, Breastfeeding, Beautiful Mothers and Circumcision
zak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zak For This Useful Post:
gardenfreshmama (04-19-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #7
gardenfreshmama
Rose Garden

Through my daughter's eyes...

gardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond repute

Reb, I actually was going to say something about the drowning also, but I felt like I was getting too wordy already! I'm sorry about your experience

I'm an INFP and I'm going to save the world! Well... maybe tomorrow. After I get some alone time and a cup of coffee... or maybe after ANNABEL (6.25), ASHER (3.5), and EMMELINE (1) are in school... once DEREK gets his culinary school loans paid off...
gardenfreshmama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gardenfreshmama For This Useful Post:
Wonder Woman (04-19-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #8
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for writing this.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2012, 09:00 AM   #9
hollybells
Deactivated

hollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond repute

Brava my dear, brava!
hollybells is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hollybells For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #10
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

I love this!

I really need to stay away from this Pearl stuff. It stirs up such hate in me.

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
FlyingBlueKiwi (04-19-2012), gardenfreshmama (04-19-2012), homesteadmama (04-19-2012), Maggirayne (04-19-2012), MaiMama (04-20-2012), Snugglebugmom (05-06-2012), Zooey (04-21-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #11
TenderLovingWillow
Rose Garden

TenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond repute

I would love this if it didn't break my heart that people actually do this to their babies..

*Mom to Four Munchkins
*Birth Doula
*Childbirth Educator
*Babywearing Educator
*Vegetarian

Last edited by TenderLovingWillow; 04-19-2012 at 11:12 AM.
TenderLovingWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TenderLovingWillow For This Useful Post:
blessedmamaofmany (04-21-2012), gardenfreshmama (04-19-2012), gdzprncess (04-19-2012), joysworld (04-19-2012), Maggirayne (04-19-2012), Snugglebugmom (05-06-2012), Zooey (04-21-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #12
hey mommy
Rose Garden

I am so hopelessly in love..

hey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to see this in a blog. That was awesome..

Don't read when you're eating though.

Janice (ISFP), single-mommy to Cias(11) Samuel( 4) and 2 babies in heaven

Scully: You know, there is life on this planet.
Mulder: I've seen the life on this planet, Scully, that's why I'm looking elsewhere.

A

Check out my NEW facebook page.
I am now a Plexus Ambassador.
hey mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hey mommy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #13
Damselfly
Deactivated

Formerly Jadeswan ;)

Damselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond repute

Ha, excellent!!!! Witty and cutting right to the point!
Damselfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Damselfly For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #14
QuiltinGramma
Rose Garden

QuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant future

Now if I were to do my part and repost this on Facebook...does it direct everyone back here to read it? I see that this is a "Public" forum so that means EVERYONE can come here and read it? I'm off to "share" on Facebook. Do my part to help it go viral.

wife for 40 years to dear hubby-pastor and retired Navy chaplain
mom to DS & DD (Amber) now grown,
to Dixie Lee, a 3 yr old French Brittany,
Magnolia (Maggie), 4 month old French Brittany
and gramma to 4 wonderful grandBOYS and 1 foster granddaughter
QuiltinGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QuiltinGramma For This Useful Post:
gardenfreshmama (04-19-2012), Zooey (04-21-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #15
Maggirayne
Rose Garden

Standing for gentleness and honesty

Maggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond repute

I would see if someone made a note on Facebook. Or was someone going to post it on a blog?
Grace is not a destination, it's a journey.
I first learned to show grace to my child that was not shown to me, then I learned to accept it for myself, and only recently have I been able to have grace for others more.
~Sweetpeasmommy
A
Maggirayne is offline   Reply With Quote