Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:05 AM   #1
Hilary316
Rose Blossom

Hilary316 is just really niceHilary316 is just really niceHilary316 is just really niceHilary316 is just really nice
Unhappy "Under Loving Command"

Apparently this was a booklet published in the late 1960s... Someone put it on their FB last night with the heading, "Long, but so helpful!"

I literally felt nauseous reading it. My heart just hurts for children that are put through this type of "discipline."

http://www. ntmu.net/lovingcommand.htm
Clara (11/10)
Benjamin (12/12)
Luke (7/15)

Last edited by CelticJourney; 01-09-2012 at 08:27 AM. Reason: break live link
Hilary316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:35 AM   #2
nessnco
Rose Bush

You are loved.

nessnco is a jewel in the roughnessnco is a jewel in the roughnessnco is a jewel in the roughnessnco is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: "Under Loving Command"

Mother of:4 grown children DD1 (born 88), DD2 (born 90), DD3 (born 92) and DS (born 94). DD has my first gandson (born 18)..

nessnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:37 AM   #3
Atarah

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-09-2012, 07:11 AM   #4
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

I read the first section and couldn't finish. I don't understand why this is so hard: you can't study the english language and american culture to interpret a thousands of years old text.

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to marbles For This Useful Post:
a good book under a tree (01-09-2012), CelticJourney (01-09-2012), gardenfreshmama (01-09-2012), newday (01-09-2012), Zooey (01-12-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
newday
Deactivated

newday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond repute

I always wonder how it is these adults believe God is "chastening" them

"oh, I lost my job. I need to figure out what God is punishing me for..."
"Whoa, that was a bad fall - and no good reason for it. I think it must be God telling me to not keep eating sweets when I have promised Him I would stop."

Is it like that?
newday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to newday For This Useful Post:
PaperMomma (01-09-2012), Tasmanian Saint (01-13-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
FlyingBlueKiwi
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

FlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Might want to break that link.

Go Team Lioness!!!
FlyingBlueKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingBlueKiwi For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (01-09-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
LearningMama
Rose Trellis

LearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond repute

The first paragraph under "All Parents Train Their Children" is exactly what Voddie Bauchum said in the video flowermama posted in this thread http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...d.php?t=433689
I wonder if he got some of his ideas from this.
Welcome Baby "YoYo" !! January 2014
Keeper of one grey cat Liz

...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40
LearningMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LearningMama For This Useful Post:
newday (01-09-2012), rjy9343 (01-12-2012), Zooey (01-12-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #8
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

This is the worst aspect of punitive parenting - the idea that grace is for adults and never for children

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
Domina (01-13-2012), homesteadmama (01-20-2012), Housekat (01-09-2012), J3K (01-09-2012), StewardofLOs (01-25-2012), Zooey (01-12-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #9
arymanth
Rose Bouquet

arymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud of

I don't know if it will do any good, but I sent an email to the "contact us" address, basically explaining the responsibility of "teachers of the Word" to be careful what they teach, since God holds them to a higher standard. This is a particularly dangerous topic to be wrong about, since the Bible talks about "causing little ones to stumble" and millstones around the neck. I also mentioned something about advising parents to do something that is legally considered child abuse in many states (are you telling parents to disobey the law of the land?)

Not sure I'll get an answer, but I couldn't just let it go.

Now blogging at The Shepherd's Apprentice
arymanth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to arymanth For This Useful Post:
cbmk4 (01-09-2012), Domina (01-13-2012), Happygrl (01-09-2012), jmom1984 (01-09-2012), Llee (01-09-2012), newday (01-09-2012), PaperMomma (01-09-2012), rjy9343 (01-12-2012), Snugglebugmom (01-19-2012), StewardofLOs (01-25-2012), Tasmanian Saint (01-13-2012), Zooey (01-12-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #10
Weezie
Rose Garden

A sign of God's love...

Weezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond repute

I feel like I read much of that somewhere before- almost word for word, but I've never heard of them before.

Maybe Dobson? It's going to bug me until I figure it out.

Oh, and it is .
Beansie (8 yrs)
Trooper (toddling around)

The Boo and The Boy too
Daytime "second mother" to Cindy Lou Hoo and Petunia too
Currently DF and WF for trooper
Weezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #11
Castle On A Cloud
Deactivated

Castle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond repute

i just briefly skimmed it... but
Castle On A Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #12
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by newday View Post
I always wonder how it is these adults believe God is "chastening" them

"oh, I lost my job. I need to figure out what God is punishing me for..."
"Whoa, that was a bad fall - and no good reason for it. I think it must be God telling me to not keep eating sweets when I have promised Him I would stop."

Is it like that?
That's exactly the idea I grew up with. Something good happens, it's God rewarding you for good behavior. Something bad happens, it's punishment for doing something wrong. Or it's Satan causing havoc and if you just hang in there long enough and pray hard enough and do all the right things and God will work it out to bless you.

Okay, so it might not have been preached quite that simplistically, but that was the idea.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (01-09-2012), newday (01-09-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #13
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
That's exactly the idea I grew up with. Something good happens, it's God rewarding you for good behavior. Something bad happens, it's punishment for doing something wrong. Or it's Satan causing havoc and if you just hang in there long enough and pray hard enough and do all the right things and God will work it out to bless you.

Okay, so it might not have been preached quite that simplistically, but that was the idea.
I'm reading a book on the Gospel of Luke and this theme comes up over and over. Jesus tells them that 'it will be easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven' - it was a total reversal of this concept of 'good things mean I'm worthy, bad things mean I've sinned' and was a little shocking. Likewise the healings He performed - people didn't get it because 'obviously those people were sick for a reason'. Grace, this radical reversal of understanding of 'worthiness', is at the heart of the Gospel and obviously still so misunderstood my so many.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
6boysmom (01-09-2012), CapeTownMommy (01-12-2012), dulce de leche (01-09-2012), Elyse221 (01-10-2012), LilySue (01-09-2012), Tasmanian Saint (01-13-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #14
6boysmom
Rosebud

Zookeeper mama

6boysmom is a glorious beacon of light6boysmom is a glorious beacon of light6boysmom is a glorious beacon of light6boysmom is a glorious beacon of light6boysmom is a glorious beacon of light6boysmom is a glorious beacon of light
sensitive Re: "Under Loving Command"

This pamphlet was written by Pat Fabrizio. The pastor at a church gave this to me on my first mother's day as a "gift". On an earlier thread, "I don't understand" I mentioned that a pastor preached on and demonstrated discipline. He and his wife swore by that booklet and that's the booklet they gave me. I ended up being so upset by the book that I invited them over for dinner and asked them why they were promoting a book that tells parents to abuse their children. Oops! I didn't realize at the time how ingrained these people's beliefs were. I really thought they didn't know. They literally said I had a rebellious spirit in me and later told my mother that she had the "spirit of Jezebel".

Obviously we left that church soon after, but I had never been exposed to this type of discipline in my life. I was raised with getting an occasional swat and that was my perception of spanking at the time. One reason I joined this forum was because of my experiences at this church and how many people are being taught that this is how to discipline a child.

As a side note, I felt something was off when we started attending the church. One family sat in the front row with 4 "perfect" children (ages 1,2, 4 & 6!!!!) I also invited this mother over for lunch because I was so impressed (and just gave birth to my first precious son). I had been a nanny for 10 years and had never seen such wonderful children so I was curious. Well after our discussion, my eyes were wide open and my heart still cringes in fear and disgust as to what she told me. Her main advice was to never take my child to a doctor within a couple weeks of a good spanking because the bruising was so significant. Believe me that this was many years ago and if I knew what I know now I would've called CPS.
6boysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to 6boysmom For This Useful Post:
CapeTownMommy (01-12-2012), cbmk4 (01-09-2012), CelticJourney (01-09-2012), Domina (01-13-2012), dulce de leche (01-09-2012), GraemesMomma (01-09-2012), LilySue (01-09-2012), malakoa (01-09-2012), newday (01-09-2012), NewLeaf (01-12-2012), rjy9343 (01-12-2012), Tasmanian Saint (01-13-2012), Zooey (01-12-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #15
CelticJourney
Administrator

Wow. 6boysmom, I'm glad you found a safe place here. Welcome

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
6boysmom (01-09-2012), Codi (01-19-2012), GraemesMomma (01-09-2012), Hermana Linda (01-09-2012), malakoa (01-09-2012)