Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
Lantern Light Mama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

A.K.A. joyinthspirit

Lantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just need some encouragement, sort of a vent, under some pressure from friends

My best friend is into totally controlling her children. That was what her mom did to her. That is what she does to her kids now. They are big into James Dobson. My heart is just aching, because I am not into controlling my kids. I want them to learn inner control . Most of the time I fail, and when I do I get reminders from her way to often how much school would help my autistic three year old because he would learn by mimicking other kids. I'm so frustrated that everyone seems to think it is just fine (actually necessary) for me to pawn my child off to the government in order for him to learn. Why is it that just because he has autism that automatically makes me incapable of meeting his needs at home in other peoples eyes? It doesn't make sense to me. I think we are in a learning curve, plus three is just a hard age any way, for both of us. I don't think just because it is hard is a reason to throw in the towel and become a super control freak mom! Really, I just want to cry. Other than GCM there is no body in my life that really supports GD or homeschool or respects it. My support system is stinky right now. :/
Lantern Light Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
malakoa
Rose Garden

Fearless

malakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant future
Default Re: Just need some encouragement, sort of a vent, under some pressure from friends

Yeah, let's be sure to send him somewhere he can learn to imitate yard-apes. That's a great solution!

You're doing what's right for you.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
Wholly Mama

Default Re: Just need some encouragement, sort of a vent, under some pressure from friends

While outside resources can be wonderful in giving you extra support when needed, it isn't necessary for everyone, all the time. YOU are your child's mother. YOU are the expert.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
MarynMunchkins
Deactivated

MarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond repute

Public school was an absolute *disaster* for my special needs child. The *only* reason he hasn't been hospitalized this year is because he's home with me.

You're doing fine.
MarynMunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
newday
Deactivated

newday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond repute

You are making important choices for your family's well being - not easy, but your hard work is sure to come back to you.. We reap what we sow.

You are right to be frustrated at the lack of support and encouragement. Keep up the good work Mama!! Three IS a hard age...
newday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by newday
You are making important choices for your family's well being - not easy, but your hard work is sure to come back to you.. We reap what we sow.

You are right to be frustrated at the lack of support and encouragement. Keep up the good work Mama!! Three IS a hard age...
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:41 PM   #7
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Your lo needs your love and attention even more because of his special needs. You are doing a great job!

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:09 PM   #8
tigerlily
Rose Garden

tigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm so frustrated that everyone seems to think it is just fine (actually necessary) for me to pawn my child off to the government in order for him to learn. mad Why is it that just because he has autism that automatically makes me incapable of meeting his needs at home in other peoples eyes? mad It doesn't make sense to me. I think we are in a learning curve, plus three is just a hard age any way, for both of us. I don't think just because it is hard is a reason to throw in the towel
You should tell her exactly that -- if you come off as a little crazy -- even better. It would probably give her pause before commenting on your parenting choices again.

‎"Don't they teach recreational maths anymore?"
~The Doctor
tigerlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:12 PM   #9
Lantern Light Mama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

A.K.A. joyinthspirit

Lantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just need some encouragement, sort of a vent, under some pressure from frien

I probably made her mad today. We saw a Dobson book in the thrift shop and she was starting to talk about him. I just told her I'm not into "control".
Old 02-20-2009, 08:18 PM   #10
tigerlily
Rose Garden

tigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I probably made her mad today. We saw a Dobson book in the thrift shop and she was starting to talk about him. I just told her I'm not into "control". shifty
Why should this make her mad? You're parenting your children, she's parenting hers. Maybe it's time to tell her you don't feel comfortable with Dobson and don't want to talk about him or his parenting methods anymore. Let her know you value her friendship, but these discussions are upsetting to you. A true friend will understand.

‎"Don't they teach recreational maths anymore?"
~The Doctor
tigerlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #11
cindergretta
Deactivated

My miracle blessing who brings tears to my eyes!

cindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond repute

Well, she is controlling her kids. If that makes her mad, she should stop.

Afa the school/autism thing, I am so with you. My 5 y/o has Asperger's. If I get ONE more "you should put him in Kindergarten" comment, I may truly lose my cool. My favorite was when I was told to put him in a special needs pre-school so he could learn how to socialize. How is he going to learn how to socialize from other special needs kids????? He might learn their bad habits, but uh, NO THANK YOU.

Cannot wait to meet you.
cindergretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #12
Lantern Light Mama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

A.K.A. joyinthspirit

Default Re: Just need some encouragement, sort of a vent, under some pressure from frien

I did but the nagging is getting to me. I love my friends....but we don't think the same.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:25 PM   #13
Lantern Light Mama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

A.K.A. joyinthspirit

For the sound of things, we are going to the perfect place for me to just me comfortable with being who we are (as in non conformist). lol.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:41 PM   #14
Titus2Momof4
Rose Garden

Titus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to all

It doesn't make any sense to me, either. YOU are his parent, no one will have his best interest at heart like you do. Not even the "best" teachers.

Abby (15) Lexi (15) Loralai (13) Noah (11)

Titus2Momof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:15 PM   #15
CapeTownMommy
Deactivated

CapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond repute

CapeTownMommy is offline   Reply With Quote