Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 03-30-2006, 05:09 PM   #16
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation
Default Re: no greater joy/the Pearls

I see that you have only 2 posts and I finsd it rather odd that this is one of them I certainly hope that you did not register here for the purpose of defending the Pearls. If you did, you will find that we have very strong boundaries that we are willing to protect with kindness and firmness and this will not be welcome.
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 05:53 PM   #17
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

illinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2three
I admit that the recent child abuse murder based on the Pearl's teaching is sad and should be treated as what it is: child abuse. The thing is that my dh and I get their magazine No Greater Joy I use the articles on homeschooling and their daughters, Rebekah and Shalom write very well done columns about herb usage, craft ideas {the recipe for peanut butter playdough went over HUGE with my three little nieces and both my girls}. The way my dh and I see it, is as with anything out there nowadays, you have to use common sense and decide what works best for YOUR family and their needs

So are you saying that you haven't read the Pearls materials?

From their website, here is the way to punish your child if they resist your spankings,

"When she screams or flees, calmly follow through by physically subduing her. Sit on her, if you have to, and slowly explain that you will not tolerate this resistance. Explain in a normal tone (She will eventually stop screaming and listen) that you are going to give her, say, five licks for the original offense and an additional two licks for the fit. Slowly apply the five licks, counting out loud. When I say slowly, I mean with a thirty second gap between each lick and a calm explanation to the screaming child that you are not the least impressed except that you are going to spank harder and she still gets the additional two licks plus one more for her ongoing screaming. When you have finally arrived at five well- anticipated and carefully counted licks, say, “OK, your spanking is over; that is the five licks you got for hitting your brother, but now I must give you two more for trying to run away.” Give her one lick and say, “Now, that is one of the licks for running away; you have one more coming.” Give the second lick, and then calmly and slowly explain that all her licks are over now, except for the one additional lick she incurred for continuing to scream during the spanking. After you have finished, tell her that you are going to let her up now, if she stops screaming, otherwise you are going to give her one additional lick. If she stops, or at least makes a great effort to, then you have won. You may never have to go through this horrible time again. But, if she is continuing to scream, you have the option of continuing to warn and spank, or of ceasing here with a parting warning: “Next time you better not run and throw a fit; for if you do, you will only get more licks and harder ones.”"

This is not the worst I have seen. You should see some of their other ideas, such as how to teach an 18 month old to "come at first call."

Pearls teachings ARE abuse.... there is no separation...

Mommy to: Ds (9.5), Dd (7), Ds2 (6), and Ds3 (4.5).

illinoismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:16 PM   #18
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I see that you have only 2 posts and I finsd it rather odd that this is one of them
My thoughts as well. What Pearl teaches is child abuse - the fact that someone took that message to the furthest extent doesn't change that the message is seriously flawed both from a emotional and spiritual standpoint. The only common sense I can see coming into play with Pearl's materials is the decision to stay away from it all together.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:21 PM   #19
This Busy Mom

Quote:
The only common sense I can see coming into play with Pearl's materials is the decision to stay away from it all together.
Yep, I agree.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:24 PM   #20
4gifts
Rose Bouquet

4gifts will become famous soon enough4gifts will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarynMunchkins
There are so many other authors out there with similar good ideas that don't promote child abuse. I see no reason to support or condone the Pearls because they have a few good ideas mixed in with the lies they teach.
I agree! There are many, better ways to learn homeschooling tips, crafts,family time ideas...anything.I admit, I thought because the Pearls used the word ministry....that they would be a reliable source for info.(this was years ago) This thought was before I knew anything about them and before the first issue of their magazine came to my door.(which comes no more!) I do not promote them..nor could I with a clear conscience.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:22 PM   #21
Mommy2three

Wow! I never meant to stir up a huge fuss or debate. I aplogize if I have offended anyone in anyway shape or form. I found out from a friend of mine that some social work majors he know are reading "To Train Up a Child" to learn what look for in abused children. It's sad that some people feel that abusing their child is the only form of discpline that there is. Trust me, when I was a teenager, being grounded on the week-ends was enough to straighten me up!! I read where one mom took her teenage daughters hairspray away from her girls.
I once again apologize.Please forgive me...

denise
Old 04-05-2006, 03:56 PM   #22
DogwoodMama
Deactivated

DogwoodMama is on a distinguished road

It's OK, sometimes things just don't "read" like we meant them to. Thanks for clarifying!
DogwoodMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:31 PM   #23
4gifts
Rose Bouquet

4gifts will become famous soon enough4gifts will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Wow! I never meant to stir up a huge fuss or debate. I aplogize if I have offended anyone in anyway......

denise
glad to meet you and no offense taken at all
Old 04-05-2006, 06:44 PM   #24
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

I think you'll find we're pretty willing to not take offense at things I know there are good things here and there in their stuff but I've found that the good stuff is so few and far between and better found through better sources
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:49 PM   #25
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

illinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wow! I never meant to stir up a huge fuss or debate. I aplogize if I have offended anyone in anyway shape or form. I found out from a friend of mine that some social work majors he know are reading "To Train Up a Child" to learn what look for in abused children. It's sad that some people feel that abusing their child is the only form of discpline that there is. Trust me, when I was a teenager, being grounded on the week-ends was enough to straighten me up!! I read where one mom took her teenage daughters hairspray away from her girls.

denise
Hi welcome to GCM.... we don't hold grudges so its all good

I figured you just didnt read their stuff....

Mommy to: Ds (9.5), Dd (7), Ds2 (6), and Ds3 (4.5).

illinoismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:08 PM   #26
Lantern Light Mama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

A.K.A. joyinthspirit

Lantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond repute

Forgiven. (we just dont care for the pearls much, can you tell?)
Lantern Light Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 05:53 AM   #27
luvinmykidz
Rose Garden

luvinmykidz is a glorious beacon of lightluvinmykidz is a glorious beacon of lightluvinmykidz is a glorious beacon of lightluvinmykidz is a glorious beacon of lightluvinmykidz is a glorious beacon of lightluvinmykidz is a glorious beacon of light

Mom to 3 very energetic and crazy children!
Richard (11)
Belle (8)
David (6)

Striving to be a more patient momma to children with emotion regulation problems...aka Bipolar disorder, ADHD, sensory integration dysfunction and ODD
luvinmykidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:35 AM   #28
Benjaminswife
Rose Garden

Benjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud of

The way I see the Pearls is that their regular advice is a form of Child Abuse. What happened with the murder is a result of going even further with the abuse. I just don't get how Christians can following their training advice and I think it is best that we don't follow their other advice either.

~Julie~
Wife to Ben since 08/03/02,
Mama to Daniel~9, Drew~7 & Joshua~3
Blogging Through The Journey

Benjaminswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:20 AM   #29
Knitted_in_the_womb

Quote:
I really can't make heads or tails out of what you are trying to say here. Have you read any of the Pearl's books? You say that you read their newsletter in your original post, and in that post you seem to support them. In this post you really don't say whether you do or don't support them...and by extension, whether you believe that their methods are abusive or not.

Jenn
Old 04-09-2006, 12:18 PM   #30
Mommy2three

Have I read the Pearl's stuff? Yes, and in fact I recently reread it. The more I read it, the worse I feel! I just cannot see supporting a group that be so into child abuse. In fact, I'll probably will just cancel my NGJ newsletter once we get moved. I've tried their methods in the past and all it does is cause more problems then I started with.
Take it from me, their methods DO NOT work!!! .The only reason why I even considered using their methods is that Emily wasn't listening and would refuse to cooperate with me or my husband. {We didn;t know that at the time she was 90 % deaf because of her eardrums being blocked! Once that got corrected she was okay )
I suggest that before anyone even considers using the Pearl's methods that they look into alternatives or if there might be a medical reason for their child's problematic behavior.
Hope I've cleared up any confusion for ya'll...

denise