Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 02-03-2006, 11:54 AM   #1
zak
Administrator

Friend of the Fellowship

zak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond repute
Default feeding schedules - a question

So... the whole infant feeding every 4 hours thing... it's got me thinking.

Do these PDF people continue to control food/times as the child ages and eats solids and snacks? Do they tell their 2 yo they cannot have a snack because "it's not time"?

Just curious... I've never read any Ezzo stuff and this thought just popped into my head.

Dedicated GCMer since 2003

Administrator and Moderating Cradled, Babes, Breastfeeding, Beautiful Mothers and Circumcision
zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 01:43 PM   #2
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: feeding schedules - a question

I think it really, really varies a lot, depending on how broadly the parents buy into the parental control aspect.

And I wanted to clarify something---under the Babywise plan, newborns are expected to feed every 2 1/2 to 3 hours. From there the time between feedings increases, but I wanted to make sure you and others reading here do know it's not a "4 hour schedule" from the start, and some mothers who know their breastfeeding facts (or lost their milk with a previous baby) take the position that they will stick with a 3 hour schedule for the duration, hoping that will be sufficient.
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:00 PM   #3
caringmommy

Is it 2 1/2 hours from start to start or is it 2 1/2 hours from the end of the first nursing session to the start of the next? Just curious. I haven't read babywise but thought I had heard that. It would make a big difference between what they call 2 1/2 hours to what I would call 2 1/2 hours (from start to start).
Old 02-03-2006, 05:52 PM   #4
TulipMama
Deactivated

TulipMama is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Is it 2 1/2 hours from start to start or is it 2 1/2 hours from the end of the first nursing session to the start of the next? Just curious. I haven't read babywise but thought I had heard that. It would make a big difference between what they call 2 1/2 hours to what I would call 2 1/2 hours (from start to start).
Depends on which edition you read. *wink*

Both are referenced in Prep for Parenting, 5th ed, 7th printing, summer 1997, pg 114: "The time between feedings can be measured from the beginning of one feeding to the beginning of the next, or from the end of one feeding to the end of the next." On page 27 of the outline guide, "For the first four to five weeks: . . . the usual time between each nursing period should be no less than 2 1/2 hours from the end of your last nursing period to the beginning of the next. Any time increment between the 2 1/2 hour mark and 3 hours is acceptable." (Bold in original.) Similarly on pg 28 of the outline guide, "Between weeks five and eight: . . . each nursing period should be no less than 2 1/2 hours and no more than 3 1/2 hours from the end of the last feeding to the start of the next."

I believe that in the latest editions it's standardized, from beginning of one feeding to beginning of the next feeding. But I haven't read all the notes and outlines to be able to state that is the case categorically.

For us the goal that was communicated in the baby and toddler materials was three meals a day with the family, and perhaps a before-bedtime nursing/snack/glass of milk. The focus was *family mealtimes* and predictability. That said, a mid-morning snack or mid-afternoon snack could be incorporated into a toddler/preschooler routine. (Hmm. . . which ended up as more times for eating for toddlers than 4-month-olds, who in one edition, were having four feedings, four hours apart. . .) Even though routine and predictability were stressed as important, on at least one of the toddler tapes (and perhaps in the book, but I remember it on a toddler issues tape) snacks were taught as "extras" and toddlers shouldn't feel they are "owed" a snack--so mid-morning/mid-afternoon snacks were optional. Confused yet?

Anyway, the over-arching theme that was communicated in theses materials was that if a parent can control a child's routine, a child's environment, a child's relationships, a child's behaviour--then the child would be better placed to have his heart in a good place.

Oh, my FTT son quickly gained weight when I stopped nursing and started feeding him high-calorie formula (still, idiotically, on the Ezzo routine) and the pediatrician no longer was worried and monitoring his growth after several months. About a year later, however, we moved and had a new pediatrician who was also concerned with his growth, and my son was placed on a high-calorie, nutrient dense diet. Yup, we had always done the "full feedings" that are stressed in Ezzo's materials. But my son needed more frequent feedings as an infant and toddler (but I didn't see that then--I thought that the Ezzo routines were healthiest. . .)

(Elizabeth and Kathy--there is an Ezzo phrase I'm thinking of that I can't remember. . . I know you know what I'm talking about. . . Something related to having moral momentum, not having spiritual inertia, ready to receive the Gospel. . . what is it?)
TulipMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 06:33 PM   #5
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Elizabeth and Kathy--there is an Ezzo phrase I'm thinking of that I can't remember. . . I know you know what I'm talking about. . . Something related to having moral momentum, not having spiritual inertia, ready to receive the Gospel. . . what is it?)
Is it regarding feeding? Maybe 'metobolic chaos'?

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 06:50 PM   #6
zak
Administrator

Friend of the Fellowship

zak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks ladies. I just thought - hmmm, I wonder what happens when the child is actually *asking* (not that they aren't asking by sucking hands, rooting, crying, etc) if the parent just gives them what they want when they want it.

There have been many Ezzo followers on a birth club board I frequent whos children have been eating every 4 hours for many months (our babies are all 10-11 months old now). So, some of these kids are/were nursing/bottle feeding 4 times a day. So it made me wonder... I eat "meals" - but I also snack. And if I'm hungry, I eat. My son nurses every 2 hours on average still. Day and night. I'm sure they think I'm crazy. What? Nursing your child 12 times a day? AND hardly any solids?

I could talk in circles until I'm so confused about these thoughts... I was just curious about toddler "parent directed feedings" and if there was such a thing.

So crazy to control food like that...

Thanks for the input.

Administrator and Moderating Cradled, Babes, Breastfeeding, Beautiful Mothers and Circumcision
Old 02-03-2006, 06:51 PM   #7
TulipMama
Deactivated

Quote:
Is it regarding feeding? Maybe 'metobolic chaos'?
Noooo. . . I'm thinking more the "big picture" discipline thing that the parent-controlled feedings are just the beginning of. . .

I bet I can find it. . . But it soooo bugs me that I can't remember.

(Maybe that's a good thing? *g*)
Old 02-03-2006, 06:57 PM   #8
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And if I'm hungry, I eat.
Add to that that it is there only source of liquids, so imagine being thristy before schedule!

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
Old 02-03-2006, 07:00 PM   #9
zak
Administrator

Friend of the Fellowship

Yeah, Elizabeth, if I think about it too much I'll start to get really sad for those poor babies.

So the whole idea of control - eating and napping and sleeping at night - it's all part of the *big* picture - through infancy into toddler years and beyond?

Old 02-03-2006, 07:14 PM   #10
TulipMama
Deactivated

Ahhh. . . I was thinking of the phrase and Ezzo idea of "spiritual inertia":

To quote Gary Ezzo:

Quote:
"positive parental behavior creates a type of spiritual inertia. In other words,
once the parents have instilled biblical patterns into their child, their training
should carry him to the point where God's spirit will take control of the reins
of his heart. Without sufficient spiritual inertia generated in the formative
years (birth through twelve), the child will ultimately limit the influence of God in his life."

Ie, control your baby's schedule, control your todder's environment, control your child's influences--and then "God's spirit will take control of the reins" and your child will be a Christian.

Yup.

Weird theology at best. And this underlying control focus is seen throughout the Ezzo books, from the infant materials all the way through to the sex ed materials.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:44 PM   #11
CelticJourney
Administrator

Well silly, you said spiritual inerria in your question. I thought you were looking for something else.

Old 02-03-2006, 07:51 PM   #12
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

that is just bizarre--truly bizarre. The idea that if you control your child's caloric intake you can make them a Christian is UNBiblical at best
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:56 PM   #13
LauraK
Deactivated

LauraK is on a distinguished road

Is Ezzo also one who recommends against drinking too much water at mealtimes? When I went to an Ezzo followers home they made their kids (prescooler and toddler) ask before they drank out of their cup?
LauraK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:58 PM   #14
CelticJourney
Administrator

Quote:
When I went to an Ezzo followers home they made their kids (prescooler and toddler) ask before they drank out of their cup?
Never heard it by Ezzo specifically, but it rings true for the 'control' mentality.

Old 02-03-2006, 07:58 PM   #15
Mothering by Heart
Deactivated

Mothering by Heart is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Do these PDF people continue to control food/times as the child ages and eats solids and snacks? Do they tell their 2 yo they cannot have a snack because "it's not time"?
I did. When I had just one child. Thank Goodness the next one came when dd was 2. It was a lot of work keeping everyone on the same hunger timetable. By the time #3 came, I was over that!!

Maybe not all Ezzo parents do that, but I was one of the legalistic, perfectionist ones...
Mothering by Heart is offline   Reply With Quote