Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 08-06-2005, 03:51 PM   #31
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation
Default Re: more rod discussions

1 Corinthians 4:21 "What will ye? shall I come unto you with a rod, or in love, and [in] the spirit of meekness? "

"rod" Greek=rhabdos
Quote:
1) a staff, a walking stick, a twig, rod, branch

2) a rod with which one is beaten

3) a staff

a) as used on a journey, or to lean upon, or by shepherds

b) when applied to kings

1) with a rod of iron, indicates the severest, most rigorous rule

2) a royal sceptre
Proverbs 29:15 "The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left [to himself] bringeth his mother to shame. "

rod Hebrew=shebet
Quote:
1) rod, staff, branch, offshoot, club, sceptre, tribe

a) rod, staff

b) shaft (of spear, dart)

c) club (of shepherd's implement)

d) truncheon, sceptre (mark of authority)

e) clan, tribe
Isaiah 10:26 "And the LORD of hosts shall stir up a scourge for him according to the slaughter of Midian at the rock of Oreb: and [as] his rod [was] upon the sea, so shall he lift it up after the manner of Egypt. "

matteh
Quote:
1) staff, branch, tribe

a) staff, rod, shaft

b) branch (of vine)

c) tribe

1) company led by chief with staff (originally)
"choter" is a third Hebrew word and I can't find the verse that uses it off hand but it's the one that means "twig".
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 05:35 PM   #32
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
rod Greek=shebet
I thought shebet was Hebrew. Is this a typo Crystal?
Old 08-07-2005, 10:23 AM   #33
hsgbdmama
Deactivated

Yeah, it's winter here ...

hsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, I just wanted to post where I received the information regarding Mr. Pearl. It is from Created To Be His Help Meet by Debi Pearl (No Greater Joy Ministries), and here is the reference:

Quote:
My husband started studying Greek forty years ago. (He daily uses three different Greek Bibles in order to correct the teachers who attempt to correct the Bible with the Greek.) When my husband, who is a Bible scholar and, for many years, also a student of Greek, wants to know what God says, he always opens his KJV Bible.
(Pearl, 53)
hsgbdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 10:26 AM   #34
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofjoy
Quote:
rod Greek=shebet
I thought shebet was Hebrew. Is this a typo Crystal?
Yes I had fussy babies on me :P
Old 08-07-2005, 10:28 AM   #35
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

I think someone should let Mr. Pearl know that the authors of the Bible are all Jewish (except for one who may have been a Gentile God-fearer but may actually have been Jewish after all) and that even when writing in Greek they were expressing a Hebraic mindset!
Old 08-07-2005, 10:59 AM   #36
hsgbdmama
Deactivated

hsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove
I think someone should let Mr. Pearl know that the authors of the Bible are all Jewish (except for one who may have been a Gentile God-fearer but may actually have been Jewish after all) and that even when writing in Greek they were expressing a Hebraic mindset!
That's kind of what I thought ... wasn't the OT primarily written in Hebrew and the NT primarily in Greek (and Aramaic)? (At least this is what I remember from Bethel Bible. )

And why THREE Greek Bibles? Is there a difference in translations? Thanks for answering my questions.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:44 PM   #37
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

Well the Pentateuch was the Greek version of the Hebrew Scriptures and that is, if I am getting the order correctly, what the Latin Vulgate was translated from and that is what the KJV is from. So if he's KJV only he would probably consider the Pentateuch the most reliable because that's what the KJV comes from--but that is still a translation
Old 08-07-2005, 07:29 PM   #38
hsgbdmama
Deactivated

Huh. Interesting -- thanks, Crystal!
Old 08-07-2005, 07:46 PM   #39
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How silly! So because someone disagrees with you on women pastors the rest of what they say is useless? She must get her info from a very narrow world. Almost every denomination has women pastors nowadays.

Unfortunately this is what disturbs me most...that just because someone doesn't agree with women being ordained or preaching (sorry Crystal....but I have to be honest here ) and I don't, that you would dismiss what I think?????

Weird
Waiting to meet 3 in heaven 2/2005, 5/2007 & 8/2011
Striving, with God's help, to be a gentle mother each day
mummy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 05:18 PM   #40
greenemama
Deactivated

greenemama is on a distinguished road

okay, so here's some more from the same blog in the OP. i am so horrified to be told that i HATE my children because i do not literally hit them with a rod. i am so sad that people believe this junk!

she's taking this from the matthew henry commentary.
Quote:
Pro 13:24 He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.
"Note, 1. To the education of children in that which is good there is necessary a due correction of them for what is amiss; every child of ours is a child of Adam, and therefore has that foolishness bound up in his heart which calls for rebuke, more or less, the rod and reproof which give wisdom. Observe, It is his rod that must be used, the rod of a parent, directed by wisdom and love, and designed for good, not the rod of a servant. 2. It is good to begin betimes (early) with the necessary restraints of children from that which is evil, before vicious habits are confirmed. The branch is easily bent when it is tender. 3. Those really hate their children, though they pretend to be fond of them, that do not keep them under a strict discipline, and by all proper methods, severe ones when gentle ones will not serve, make them sensible of their faults and afraid of offending. They abandon them to their worst enemy, to the most dangerous disease, and therefore hate them. Let this reconcile children to the correction their good parents give them; it is from love, and for their good, Heb. 12:7-9."

Please note:
1. M. Henry believed that foolishness was bound up in the heart even of children of believers and that correction of such included physical punishment.
2. It is to be administered by the parents, not a servant (teacher or principal?).
3. It is good to begin early in childhood, not wait until adolescence when the corruption is ingrained.
4. Those who refuse to use physical punishment when it is warranted, really hate their children, "though they pretend to be fond of them."
5. One of the purposes of strict discipline is to make the child "afraid of offending."
any comments here? i feel so depressed after reading it. i realize that this is a typical belief system and that my inlaws most likely believe this way. i'm forever gathering information and looking for places to study the thing so that if (when?) the subject comes up i can be prepared in case i run out of bean dip.
greenemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 05:24 PM   #41
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

Reading commentaries is not the same as exegetical study of the Scriptures I wouldn't even bother responding to that.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:41 PM   #42
greenemama
Deactivated

greenemama is on a distinguished road

i'm not planning on responding to her at all again. she called us all "scripture twisters" and "liberal" and indicated that she believes that i am merely "professing" christianity as i don't spank. there's no way i'm responding to someone who cannot dialogue without namecalling.

i guess i'm wondering what your comments are on the commentary. it sounds like something my IL would say. :/
greenemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 05:49 PM   #43
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

Well, I don't disagree with it if you read the "rod" as "authority" and "the Word of God". Insert these meanings and his commentary is fine
Old 08-08-2005, 08:24 PM   #44
Katherine

Quote:
severe ones when gentle ones will not serve, make them sensible of their faults and afraid of offending
I'm no Bible scholar, but I don't like this part of Henry's wording.... :/

I don't like the notion that we are supposed to instill fear in our children--at least not fear of US or fear of offending men. I realize he's from a different time and uses the English language in a slightly different way, but I think she's interpreting it quite literally.. they should be AFRAID.

And if your inlaws or someone IRL brings it up, you can always respond with what Crystal said:

Quote:
Reading commentaries is not the same as exegetical study of the Scriptures

Old 08-09-2005, 04:33 PM   #45
chelsea
Rose Garden

chelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
4. Those who refuse to use physical punishment when it is warranted, really hate their children, "though they pretend to be fond of them."
Umm, yah...I'm only pretending to be fond of my son.
He really couldn't get much more judgemental than that.
Hmm, or could we say that his comment is true AND that physical punishment is never warranted, therefore we are really never "refusing to use physical punishment when it is warranted" because it is never warranted???