Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Breakfast *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 06-20-2011, 06:27 AM   #1
MotherSong
Rose Bush

My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness

MotherSong is just really niceMotherSong is just really niceMotherSong is just really niceMotherSong is just really nice
Default Breakfast Ideas

We're needing breakfast ideas here.

I would rather avoid cereal (expensive and not healthy) in favor of other foods. Non-traditional breakfast foods are fine.

What did YOU eat for breakfast today? Yesterday? The day before? I just need help in brainstorming ideas so that we don't get so stuck in a rut.

All suggestions are very welcome! Thanks!

Mom to Trinity born at home 3/30/03

Mama to Bubble, born at home 5/5/05

Mom to Buttercup born at home 8/14/07

Mamá al Chamaco, nacido en casa 8/8/11

MotherSong is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MotherSong For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2011, 06:47 AM   #2
MomtoJGJ
Deactivated

MomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Breakfast Ideas

Monday's we do muffins... whatever kind I can scrounge together, sweet or savory
Tuesdays we do muffin tin meals... Wednesdays are 'whatever Wednesday' and basically I just figure out something to give them... Thursday's are smoothie "Thirsty Thursday"... Fridays are some version of French toast. Saturday's we do a big breakfast with meat, eggs and either biscuits or pancakes... and Sunday is Cinnamon Rolls.
MomtoJGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MomtoJGJ For This Useful Post:
Annhabben (06-20-2011), MotherSong (06-25-2011)
Old 06-20-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
Kailie

Thanks for starting this I had been meaning to start one like it for a while!

I usually have Vector cereal mainly for the convenience factor. Greek yogurt and pb toast were favorites when I was working.

I sometimes do left overs or make a small quiches early in the week and heat them up.

I would love to find a yummy easy to make a small batch of oatmeal because it is usually only me eating breakfast here in the morning as DH makes his own.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
RachelB
Rose Bouquet

RachelB has a reputation beyond reputeRachelB has a reputation beyond reputeRachelB has a reputation beyond reputeRachelB has a reputation beyond reputeRachelB has a reputation beyond reputeRachelB has a reputation beyond reputeRachelB has a reputation beyond reputeRachelB has a reputation beyond reputeRachelB has a reputation beyond reputeRachelB has a reputation beyond reputeRachelB has a reputation beyond repute

I really, really dislike cooking first thing in the morning, so most of what we do for breakfast is easy. Some of my go-to breakfasts:
- Waffles, pancakes, or french toast made in big batches and frozen. Can be popped in the toaster, same as you would do with store-bought waffles.
- Oatmeal. Put in the crock pot before bed, and wake up to yummy breakfast.
- Breakfast burritos. Buy approx a million eggs when they're on sale, scramble (along with whatever you like), wrap in tortillas, and freeze. Take them out as you need them and heat in the microwave.
- Yogurt with fruit and granola.

Wife to Steve
Mommy to Nadia (2001)
Mommy to Seth (2004)
RachelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
Niphredil
Deactivated

Niff-er-doodle!

Niphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond repute

We mix & match these items -

*Oatmeal or Malt O Meal
*Eggs - scrambled with cream cheese, with salsa or with meat(ham, sausage). Fried served on a bread, roll or bagel. Omelets.
*Pancakes - plain, with fruit mixed in or fruit topping, or, gluttonously, coffee cake topping. Rarely french toast or waffles.
*Hashbrowns or fried potatoes
*Sausage or ham, on occasion.
*Toast & jam, bagels & PB or bagels & cream cheese.
*Smoothies or fruit salad.
*Yogurt - plain, with fruit, granola or cereal.
*Breakfast burritos
Niphredil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Niphredil For This Useful Post:
MotherSong (06-25-2011)
Old 06-20-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

Today's breakfast was a little non traditional. Leftover ratatouille with fried eggs on top. Most days I don't have the time to cook eggs and we make a smoothie (yogurt, banana, peanut butter, and frozen berries).

I liked having leftover veggies with eggs a lot.

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

french toast this morning

yogurt often
eggs in some form, often w/ bacon or ham
smoothies sometimes

mostly for ideas
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #8
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

This morning dh poured hot water over quick oats for "raw porridge", I had left over omelet from yesterday's lunch, ds had a bowl of cereal, and the other 3 dk had bagels--2 with butter, one with cream cheese and jam. That's typical for a weekday around here. Sometimes I defrost frozen fruit and mix Greek yogurt with that, or I will make porridge (either in a pan or crockpot). Yesterday I dipped a banana into pb for breakfast.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
MotherSong (06-25-2011)
Old 06-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #9
ncsweetpea
Deactivated

ncsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond repute

This morning it was leftover pizza from fathers day dinner. But it made me think a breakfast pizza might be fun.

Dd nearly always eats yogurt or cottage cheese. This morning it was topped with a spoonful if homemade blueberry jam.

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

I was also kicking around the idea of doing a ham and cheese baked muffin. Maybe grating on some zucchini or something.
ncsweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
Iarwain
Rose Garden

Iarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond repute

Homemade kefir is the usual breakfast food here, either blended with strawberries and stevia or else with orange juice concentrate and vanilla. I usually add spinach or greens powder to it. Oatmeal and scrambled eggs fill in when that's not enough because they're cheap, easy, and filling. The kids like to add peanut butter to their oatmeal for extra protein. I guess we're pretty boring here but at least it's a rut we enjoy being in.
The Mad Scientist - 18
Princess - 15
Lemur - 12
Noodle - 9
... and little miss Rosebud - age 6
Iarwain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iarwain For This Useful Post:
MotherSong (06-25-2011)
Old 06-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #11
Thia
Rose Garden

Thia has disabled reputation

What are these baked muffins that you guys speak of? I'm looking for some new ideas. My husband needs stuff he can reheat in the morning. He says he's sick of eggs. He doesn't eat cold cereal or oatmeal. We have pancakes on the weekend. He has waffles about once every two weeks. I do a breakfast casserole once in a while, but he's sick of that too.
Thia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #12
everydaygrace
Climbing Rose

everydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond repute

Old 07-07-2011, 04:27 AM   #13
delightedmama
Climbing Rose

silly crafty messy peaceful-ish me

delightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant future

We've found that we have more energy when we don't do grains at breakfast, but DH hates eggs and we're sick of green smoothies. Any more suggestions for non-egg or baked/flour-based breakfasts?

empowering women out of poverty by selling their Fair Trade handcrafts with Trades of Hope!
delightedmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:55 PM   #14
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

fruit and cheese? I am partial to watermelon with feta, dh likes can fruit with cottage cheese. The kids like colby-jack with something like an apple or grapes next to it rather than mixed like dh's and mine.
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #15
passthemanna
Rose Garden

"...to do justice,and to love kindness,and to walk humbly with your God..." Mi 6:8

passthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond repute

we usually do ww toast with coconut oil & pb with fruit. seems like ds & i both just automatically prefer the same thing day after day & get all off kilter if we run out of pb or bread oh no- just realized we only have 2 slices of bread & dh will need a sandwhich tomorrow

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
Photographer at Grace and Gratitude by TLC
https://www.facebook.com/GraceandGra...TLC/?ref=br_rs
passthemanna is offline   Reply With Quote