Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Breakfast *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 07-02-2008, 05:39 PM   #1
Katherine

Default QUICK nutritious breakfast ideas for those early school mornings

Ideas and recipes all welcome.

I need to get some protein and complex carbs into my boys every morning before school... We leave about 7:10, so we're talking breakfast at 6:30 when everyone is still a zombie. (IOW, freshly made pancakes are not an option)

I am NOT a morning person and was really starting to struggle with providing a decent meal by the end of last semeter. This year is going to be even tougher if I have my 2 eldest enrolled, but ds2 is not a morning person either... HATES transitions, and is a very S L O W, nitpicky eater.

I need super quick breakfasts, make-ahead ideas, tried-and true recipes for things that freeze well and toast up nicely, etc.

Nuts and peanuts are not an option for us due to allergies, but it's fine to include them for other who are reading along.

Fire away!!
Old 07-02-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
joyful mama
Rose Garden

Word of God speak...

joyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QUICK nutritious breakfast ideas for those early school mornings

baked oatmeal, made the night before. Eat it hot or cold, with or without milk. Soooo yummy with coconut and walnuts (elminate the walnuts ), dried fruit like raisins and cinnamon. I make mine with maple syrup instead of sugar, old fashioned oats, milk, eggs.

quiche! crustless or crusted (crustless is healthier :duh). I make mine with eggs, cheese, spinach, salt, pepper. Or broccoli, or a combo of the two. Again, make it the night before, its great hot or cold.

Homemade pancakes made beforehand will work, too. My kids like whole grain apple cinnamon pancakes with butter and maple syrup and fruit

homemade smoothies with fruit, yogurt, milk, or kefir

I can give you recipes if you'd like for any of the above

banana bread, cheesy muffins, fruit muffins, all made ahead

all of the above freeze very well (I've heard the oatmeal does but mine never makes it to the freezer ), and are easy to reheat.

Married to my knight in shining armor

Work-in-progress mother to my three awesome kids:

S (8), T (6) and the Little Guy (3)
...and always remembering our little angel

joyful mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:00 PM   #3
Marielle
Rose Garden

Marielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyful mama
baked oatmeal, made the night before. Eat it hot or cold, with or without milk. Soooo yummy with coconut and walnuts (elminate the walnuts ), dried fruit like raisins and cinnamon. I make mine with maple syrup instead of sugar, old fashioned oats, milk, eggs.

quiche! crustless or crusted (crustless is healthier :duh). I make mine with eggs, cheese, spinach, salt, pepper. Or broccoli, or a combo of the two. Again, make it the night before, its great hot or cold.

Homemade pancakes made beforehand will work, too. My kids like whole grain apple cinnamon pancakes with butter and maple syrup and fruit

homemade smoothies with fruit, yogurt, milk, or kefir

I can give you recipes if you'd like for any of the above

banana bread, cheesy muffins, fruit muffins, all made ahead

all of the above freeze very well (I've heard the oatmeal does but mine never makes it to the freezer ), and are easy to reheat.
yes recipes please

cook, sew, knit, crochet, repeat - my blog http://www.maricucu.blogspot.com

Married to T for 13 years and watching over the herd:
I 10.5 yo
R 8.25 yo
N 5.5 yo
M 3.75 yo

“Never put off till tomorrow what may be done day after tomorrow just as well.”

-Mark Twain
Marielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
Psyche
Rose Garden

Srsly?

Psyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond repute

Hardboiled eggs and whole wheat toast with a fruit smoothie Or skip the toast and add wheat germ to the smoothies.

working full time, wife to Jason since '02, mom to C 12 years old, J 9 years old , and T 6 years old , mouse catching, Izzy, and rabbit chasing, Ellie.
Psyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:02 PM   #5
Psyche
Rose Garden

Srsly?

Psyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond repute

Also, you can cook bacon or ham steaks or sausage for a couple days, fry some eggs over hard the morning of, heat the meat in the microwave, toast the whole wheat bread and add some white cheddar. Easy breakfast sandwich.

working full time, wife to Jason since '02, mom to C 12 years old, J 9 years old , and T 6 years old , mouse catching, Izzy, and rabbit chasing, Ellie.
Psyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:12 PM   #6
joyful mama
Rose Garden

Word of God speak...

joyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be back in a bit w/recipes. writing this out I'm totally craving baked oatmeal now, and I just stocked up on oatmeal and walnuts, so I've got to put the kids down and make some

Old 07-02-2008, 06:13 PM   #7
gentlemommy
Deactivated

gentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond repute

gentlemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:17 PM   #8
naturallia
Deactivated

naturallia is on a distinguished road

breakfast sandwiches

smoothies
naturallia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:19 PM   #9
Myrtle
Rose Garden

Myrtle is a glorious beacon of lightMyrtle is a glorious beacon of lightMyrtle is a glorious beacon of lightMyrtle is a glorious beacon of lightMyrtle is a glorious beacon of lightMyrtle is a glorious beacon of lightMyrtle is a glorious beacon of light

wanting to glean...
Old 07-02-2008, 06:23 PM   #10
emmalouise
Deactivated

emmalouise is a name known to allemmalouise is a name known to allemmalouise is a name known to allemmalouise is a name known to allemmalouise is a name known to allemmalouise is a name known to allemmalouise is a name known to all

We have oatmeal made with low fat milk, sweetened with chopped dried fruit, served with yoghurt or milk, and a boiled egg each.

The oatmeal can be prepped the night before by putting the oats, milk (I make it from powder b/c it's cheaper) and fruit in a saucepan, putting the lid on, and sticking it in the fridge overnight. In the morning, put that saucepan on, then the other with the eggs and there you go!

In the summer we have bircher muesli made with yoghurt instead of oatmeal, that actually has to be made the night before.
emmalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:28 PM   #11
Iansmama

Sunflower seed butter and raw honey on toast.

Cook a lot of breakfast meat up once or twice a week and have it ready for a breakfast sandwich.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:17 PM   #12
MamaMansa
Deactivated

MamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to all

I make whole wheat pancakes and waffles ahead of time, and flash freeze them (single layer on a pan). Once they are frozen, I put them all into gallon ziplocks, and that way they don't stick together. The waffles are ready to pop in the toaster, and the pancakes heat up nicely in the microwave. Muffins also freeze well.

I make large batches on the weekends, so I'm not struggling to cook one more thing on a weeknight.
MamaMansa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:37 PM   #13
joyful mama
Rose Garden

Word of God speak...

baked oatmeal:

Baked Oatmeal:

1/2 C pure maple syrup or honey
1 t sea salt
2 t baking powder
3 C oatmeal
1/2 C melted butter
2 eggs
1 C yogurt
1/2 t vanilla
optional: raisins, cinnamom, nuts, nutmeg, dried fruit, flax seeds, dried coconut

Combine oats and yogurt. Let soak overnight. The next morning, add the rest of the ingredients. Pour into an ungreased casserole dish (I use a round cake pan) and bake at 350 for about 30-45 minutes, until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm or cold, with milk. (soaking is for those who follow NT, I don't always do this. If you choose not to, substitute milk for the yogurt, and cook immediately).

I'm sure I've posted the crustless quiche recipe a bunch of times here. Its a sbd recipe, and every time I mention it, someone asks for it, lol:

two different quiches:
(this one is my sister's)

2 pkgs. frozen chopped spinach
16 oz. container cottage cheese
1 diced onion
1 C shredded cheese (any kind, I've used mozzarella and cheddar, montery jack, feta)
2 eggs, beaten
garlic powder (I usually just use salt)
pepper

Thaw and drain spinach well. Combine all ingredients. Bake in a greased 8x8 casserole dish at 350 for 45 minutes until browned. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving. SO GOOD!

the sbd one:

Veggie Quiche Cups with Fresh Spinach (from MizFrog's page)

6 large eggs
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1/2 cup diced onions
1 small bag (6 oz) fresh salad spinach (I prefer more, 16 oz frozen, thawed or a lot more sauteed or steamed fresh, maybe a pound)
1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)

Preheat oven to 350 or 375 degrees F. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin (or a 6-cup larger capacity tin) with cooking spray

Beat fresh eggs with wire whisk in large mixing bowl until completely blended. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well with spoon.

Divide mixture as evenly as possible into each cup. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until a sharp knife inserted in the center comes out clean. They will rise during cooking and fall while cooling.

*I often do just chopped broccoli or half broccoli/half spinach (cooked)

You can 'healthify' almost any muffin recipe. Cheesy ones are soo good for a change, I use 1/4 of the sugar recommendation (I use honey, maple syrup or rapadura), real organic butter, and I add about 1 cup of shredded cheese. mmmm

Kefir smoothies are fantastic, plain w/pb and banana, or fruit ones. sometimes I add a little spinach.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:46 AM   #14
Michelle-Lea
Rose Bouquet

Michelle-Lea is on a distinguished road

Oatmeal w/ peanutbutter added is a big hit here.
Michelle-Lea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:03 AM   #15
Katherine

Great ideas, ya'll! Keep 'em coming.

I think making ahead is going to be the vital element for me. 5 weeks til school starts so I'd better get cracking and put some stuff in the freezer.

Anybody ever tried chicken biscuits? I kept meaning to do this toward the end of last year, but never tried it. My kids don't really like/eat most of your traditional breakfast meats, so I was hoping to find some frozen chicken patties (preferably without a lot of junk in them) that I could heat up and stick on a biscuit.

anybody have a good quiche recipe? My oldest loves brocolli and cheese omlettes, so I bet he'd like the quiche, too, as long as the texture was firm enough.

also... has anybody tried those omlette making gadgets?

like this:
http://www.wdrake.com/WalterDrake/Sh...tBy=Rank%20ASC

or

http://www.pamperedkitchenchefaid.co...0/product/OM-2