Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:38 PM   #1
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Third grade science HELP

I'm starting school in two days and I still haven't picked a science curriculum. I had picked Abeka but then discovered I also needed the teacher's manual? I guess? I feel like so little information is given with each curriculum it's really hard to not only choose one but know how it works and what I might need with it. I need recommendations please. DM me if you have anything you like and want to sell for cheap Apologia comes highly recommended but I don't see any grade levels and I have to pick a specific type of science apparently. I'm lost.

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:46 PM   #2
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Third grade science HELP

Sassafras Science looks really neat!(I think they have 3 or 4 different ones)

The Good and the Beautiful Science does, too (lots of topic choices, too)

We are using Let’s Read and Find Out Science but there is a lot of prep for activities (basically searching Pinterest for unit study ideas to go with the books).

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
marbles (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 04:13 AM   #3
JoyGal
Rose Garden

JoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked at Master Books? They have some awesome science programs that we enjoy (along with loads of other great subjects.)

https://www.masterbooks.com
This is the miracle of life. ~ Maureen Hawkins

My Hygge Page
JoyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoyGal For This Useful Post:
mamacat (09-17-2018), marbles (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 04:51 AM   #4
Love_Is_Patient
Rose Trellis

Love_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of program are you looking for? Mostly reading, more hands on, one textbook vs a variety of books, etc? Any special interest s like animal s, space
marbles (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 07:34 AM   #5
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

Apologia Elementary isn't specific to grade, they're all interchangeable (though IMO their Elementary Physics/Chemistry is far harder than the more concrete ones like Flying Creatures, Astronomy, etc...)
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (09-17-2018), marbles (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 07:51 AM   #6
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyGal View Post
Have you looked at Master Books? They have some awesome science programs that we enjoy (along with loads of other great subjects.)

https://www.masterbooks.com
I haven’t heard of that, I’ll look at it thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_Is_Patient View Post
What kind of program are you looking for? Mostly reading, more hands on, one textbook vs a variety of books, etc? Any special interest s like animal s, space
Partly, I don’t know. This is my first child so a lot of this is very new. I want something fun and interesting and that doesn’t jump around too much. We’ve done astronomy, anatomy, backyard ecosystem, but just on my own and I was hoping to cover things like living things and matter and scientific method. General science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
Apologia Elementary isn't specific to grade, they're all interchangeable (though IMO their Elementary Physics/Chemistry is far harder than the more concrete ones like Flying Creatures, Astronomy, etc...)
This is too open ended for me, then.

and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Old 09-17-2018, 07:58 AM   #7
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Offlne only? I know of a great online Zoology that kids his age love

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
marbles (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 08:16 AM   #8
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

I really liked Jay Wile's Science series. Science in the Beginning, Science in the Ancient World, etc. It's got a hands on activity for every lesson though, so it's going to take a time investment. It's really good though.

I also like Mystery Science. It's online with videos and activities. Everything is explained in detail and it's fun. You can do fewer and go deeper with extra reading or you can just do the mysteries online and go through more.

I feel like you might need something different than these, but these are my favorites for that age group.
mamacat (09-17-2018), marbles (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 09:03 AM   #9
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

https://allinonehomeschool.com/zoology/ There is this

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
marbles (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 09:21 AM   #10
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbles View Post

Partly, I don’t know. This is my first child so a lot of this is very new. I want something fun and interesting and that doesn’t jump around too much. We’ve done astronomy, anatomy, backyard ecosystem, but just on my own and I was hoping to cover things like living things and matter and scientific method. General science.

A great book for learning the scientific method at that age is How to think like a scientist. by Stephen Cramer.

Noeo is great if you want a literature-based approach. It's classical/Charlotte Mason-y science divided by subject, though, not general science (Biology, Physics, Chemistry). We've done several levels. Then Chem and Physics spine books are super fun to have on hand. The experiments are explained well and not hard at all to do; I had most of the household supplies around and anything else was easy enough to find.

Sassafrass covers the topics decently but is poorly written. Last time I looked at it, the copy editing was AWFUL. They may have done a re-write since then, though.

A similar approach is the Quark Chronicles - the story line is much better and it's better writing and editing, but you need to find the supplemental materials. Much of it can just be from library books - read the chapter to get the overall concept, then go to the library to flesh out the details. I bought the notebooking book the first year just to get the hang of it. It's got great booklists.

Ellen J McHenry's stuff is information-packed, but also organized by topic. Units tend to be shorter, than other programs but can be stretched out a lot. She has loads of games and projects that are fun for younger kids, but they can get very involved. It worked a little better for my younger kids to tag along than to do them on their own.

If you can find them in print, the Backyard Scientist series is fabulous for kids that age.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
marbles (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 05:18 PM   #11
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

We're using Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding. Many people have found the layout of the curriculum daunting - flowcharts and learning progressions - but someone, with the original author's permission, has created guided lesson plans now. That book is called Early Elementary Science Education. It's listed for K-2, but is definitely appropriate for 3rd grade, too. Both are available on Amazon.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HuggaBuggaMommy For This Useful Post:
marbles (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 09:54 AM   #12
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

I was just looking at that the other day. It's here:
https://www.amazon.com/Elementary-Sc...XZ5AL&qid=&sr=

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
marbles (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 12:39 PM   #13
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggaBuggaMommy View Post
We're using Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding. Many people have found the layout of the curriculum daunting - flowcharts and learning progressions - but someone, with the original author's permission, has created guided lesson plans now. That book is called Early Elementary Science Education. It's listed for K-2, but is definitely appropriate for 3rd grade, too. Both are available on Amazon.
Would I need both books, or just the guide?

and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Old 09-18-2018, 05:04 PM   #14
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbles View Post
Would I need both books, or just the guide?
Just the guide. It also spans 2 years.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HuggaBuggaMommy For This Useful Post:
marbles (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 05:19 PM   #15
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

IME the biggests piece of elementary science learning, regardless of curriculum, is doing weekly labs - that is what my kids remember most from each year of science we've done, and it's what really helps them learn the scientific method. They can learn to write basic lab reports, form hypothesis (make predictions in the "If...then..." format), and write about results. I think a reasonable lab budget per year is $100-150 (depending on what types of science you're doing. Some of this cost is only needing 1-2 items but having to buy in bulk). Our co-op science teachers buy all of the supplies at the beginning of the year and store them so they're ready to use.
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
marbles (09-18-2018), Quiteria (09-18-2018)