Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:35 AM   #1
Elyse221
Rose Bush

Elyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to behold
Default Boundaries with Kids?

Anyone read it/know much about it? I seem to remember it being mentioned on here as not being gentle/positive but beyond that I don't know much. The church we've been visiting is offering a class on it, so I'm wondering about the book mostly to get an idea of what type of parenting would be promoted there. If it's not positive but not outright "You HAVE to spank your kids" then I think I could live with that .
Elyse221 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Elyse221 For This Useful Post:
bananacake (08-11-2015)
Old 01-26-2015, 02:55 PM   #2
Steph
Rosebud

Steph is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Boundaries with Kids?

Have never heard of it. Boundaries seems to be a word that I like, more than say one like limits or restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Graceformysheep.wordpress.com

Wife to Jake (ENTP)
Momma to Spunky Lamb (10/29/12)
Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steph For This Useful Post:
Elyse221 (01-27-2015)
Old 01-26-2015, 03:32 PM   #3
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

I'll see if I can find those old threads...

Sent by Tapatalk from my phone

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph View Post
Have never heard of it. Boundaries seems to be a word that I like, more than say one like limits or restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, me too.

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

Ok, the book, Boundaries by Cloud and Townsend, got very good GD reviews. Someone did warn that their Boundaries with Kids book is punitive and to have caution with it, but I can't find anymore information. I would be interested to know more. I think it would be worth it for you to check it out and report back to us.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
Elyse221 (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 02:16 AM   #4
Maleldil's daughter
Rose Bouquet

Maleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud of

I read it. It's been a while, but this is what I remember:

I was disappointed. I thought it would be about parenting in a way that would encourage kids to maintain their own and respect others' boundaries. Instead it was about how to have boundaries so your children will not run over you.

It had some things that were positive, like most books. It might be most potentially helpful if you were a very unboundaried person who was just learning about how to have boundaries and not be enmeshed in your child's life. There was a lot of discussion of holding a boundary even if the child feels badly, and of letting them own their own feelings.

It was punitive. The authors stated that a spanking or time-out would be a good way to enforce a boundary with young children. I also got a bad taste from some of the examples of forcing your pre-schooler to separate from you even if they don't want to (like leaving your 3 yr old with a babysitter when they are crying for you). So, I wouldn't recommend it, though there's no implication that you must spank.

Sorry there is not much detail, it's been a few years and I don't own it to re-read.

Wifey to the Husby 9/6/2006
Mama to The Littlest Man in all the Land 5/31/2012
and The Littlest Girl in all the World 1/28/2016

Counseling is like cleaning out your fridge. Mostly it's rearranging things so they make more sense. Now and then you come across some really nasty thing that's been stuck in the back way too long.
Maleldil's daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Maleldil's daughter For This Useful Post:
CJNeeley (01-27-2015), Elyse221 (01-27-2015), Hermana Linda (01-27-2015), MariJo7 (01-29-2015), On Fire (08-07-2015), rjy9343 (01-31-2015), Rose5000 (02-05-2015), Soliloquy (08-10-2015), sweetpeasmommy (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 09:17 AM   #5
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

That is very helpful, thank you.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
On Fire (08-07-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 10:42 AM   #6
Rose5000
Climbing Rose

Rose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermana Linda View Post
That is very helpful, thank you.

Yes, it was.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:09 PM   #7
On Fire
Rose Bush

On Fire is a jewel in the roughOn Fire is a jewel in the roughOn Fire is a jewel in the roughOn Fire is a jewel in the rough

I vaguely seem to recall on here reading a few years ago that maybe Cloud and Townsend's books had a misogynistic tone or something??? Have I got that right?
Old 08-07-2015, 05:14 PM   #8
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Fire View Post
I vaguely seem to recall on here reading a few years ago that maybe Cloud and Townsend's books had a misogynistic tone or something??? Have I got that right?
I did not notice it in Boundaries, nor in Boundaries in Marriage. I wasn't really looking for it, though.

I haven't read Boundaries with Kids.

Have you read them and found them to be misogynistic?
Old 08-10-2015, 12:25 PM   #9
purple_kangaroo
Rose Garden

purple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Following . . . I own Boundaries, Boundaries in Marriage, Boundaries with Kids, and Boundaries with Teens. I liked the first one, though it's been years since I read it. Can't remember if I ever read the second one, and I haven't yet read the last two.

Seeking truth and understanding.

I have 4 precious children: A (born Feb 2001), M (June 2002), E (Aug 2005) and N (Dec 2013). AMEN!
purple_kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:07 PM   #10
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

There's quite a few authors/books that are really great and then you read the version for parenting ... and you wonder why they can't see it. Why they can't see children as human beings.

The Love Dare is an amazing book. Mind blowing in how it teaches you what it really is to love someone.

The Love Dare for Parents is so anemic, in comparison. And they mention spanking in the appendix.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
purple_kangaroo (08-10-2015)
Old 08-10-2015, 04:16 PM   #11
hollybells
Deactivated

hollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
The Love Dare is an amazing book. Mind blowing in how it teaches you what it really is to love someone.

I've avoided the Fireproof movie but the book is good?

Last edited by Soliloquy; 08-10-2015 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Hit edit instead of quote by accident
hollybells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:29 PM   #12
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Very. If you actually do it. Just reading it is nice but actually doing the daily steps forces you to come face-to-face with whatever is in you that is resistant to giving unconditional love.
hollybells (08-10-2015)
Old 08-10-2015, 06:51 PM   #13
hollybells
Deactivated

hollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond repute

I've been itching to place another Chapters order ... I'll add it to my list.

And as I was scrolling up, I saw that my post was edited and thought:

1. Wait, what? I didn't edit my post. Did I edit it? I so don't remember editing it. Annnnd ...

2. What posting guideline could I have possibly violated?

Paranoia abounds.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:22 PM   #14
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Sorry! I thought of PMing you but I was hoping my note explained everything adequately.
hollybells (08-10-2015)
Old 08-10-2015, 08:32 PM   #15
hollybells
Deactivated

No worries!
The Following User Says Thank You to hollybells For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (08-10-2015)