Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #31
triscuit
Rosebud

triscuit is a jewel in the roughtriscuit is a jewel in the roughtriscuit is a jewel in the roughtriscuit is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What changed your perspective?

Go get some chocolate Sandy!!

That is why when people say "gentle parenting (not-spanking) is harder... but..." I don't agree with that... spanking IS harder because eventually when you realize what you are doing..... THAT is hard!!!!!!!!!!!!
Remembering Lea 04W02D - Dec '11
& Baby J 06W4D - July '12
triscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to triscuit For This Useful Post:
blessedmamaofmany (06-03-2012), gpsings (06-14-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #32
Peridot
Rose Garden

I stand before you, DeFrocked!!

Peridot has disabled reputation

1) Maggirayne told me about GCM.

2) Non-Christians offered me more Grace about my spanking than Chirstians offered those who did not.

3) One day I was (almost beating- if I am perfectly honest ) my 3 year old son, Maximus. He had hit his baby brother, Minimus. I was telling him, "You may not hit someone just because you don't like what they did!" Holy Spirit whispered to me, "Why? That is what YOU do." That voice stopped me where I stood.

"A normal, imperfect, LUMPEN human being!!"

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. and yet, one day Love himself barged into the Temple with a bullwhip and declared enough was enough. I will testify to Love.

Peridot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Peridot For This Useful Post:
blessedmamaofmany (05-30-2012), dulce de leche (06-14-2012), gpsings (06-14-2012), rjy9343 (05-30-2012), Rose5000 (06-02-2012), StewardofLOs (06-16-2012), Tasmanian Saint (05-30-2012), Virginia (07-15-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 06:02 AM   #33
blessedmamaofmany
Deactivated

I love my life.

blessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by triscuit View Post
Go get some chocolate Sandy!!

That is why when people say "gentle parenting (not-spanking) is harder... but..." I don't agree with that... spanking IS harder because eventually when you realize what you are doing..... THAT is hard!!!!!!!!!!!!

The shame is overwhelming.
blessedmamaofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for blessedmamaofmany:
Rose5000 (06-02-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 06:12 AM   #34
SweetCaroline
Rose Garden

a little Attachment Parenting will fix that

SweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

i had a very difficult little one. i had sort of fallen into deep attachment parenting practices with him. if i was to exercise all my 'parenting moves' on this one..i'd be spanking him *literally* 20 times a day..

it dawned on me: surely the Lord doesnt mean for me to spank this little 19 month old (at the time) 25 times a day-because thats how hard he was!!

i started googling "is spanking Biblical?" and found GCM. regestration was closed for.the.longest.

i was like Sandy.

i joined gcm almost 2 yrs ago. i wish i could say that it was cold-turkey. but its been a process..i quit spanking as my 'preferred method' of punishment right away- but would still flip out and spank the kids because im a spazz. and i get so angry. and i didnt know what else to do. i would worry that i was ruining them by not spanking them.

but as time goes on- not spanking is being gelled as a 'principle' built around so many other things -that the idea pops into my head less and less often. it makes my heart glad that i've NEVER so much as smacked the baby's ( 18mo.) hand

but its so hard to switch out of punitive thinking. its like a disease. and honestly..some days a gentle parenting win is simply not yelling

but i've come a LOOOONG way
ISFP
SweetCaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SweetCaroline For This Useful Post:
blessedmamaofmany (05-30-2012), dulce de leche (06-14-2012), gpsings (06-14-2012), katiekind (05-30-2012), rjy9343 (05-30-2012), sherry (05-31-2012), Tandem mama (06-09-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 06:40 AM   #35
Amahoro
Climbing Rose

Amahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond repute

Ummm... I had a baby...

As time went on, I started thinking 'What the HECK was my mother thinking? Why on EARTH do my Church friends recommend a book with such horrid thoughts about babies? How can people isolate such tiny babies so quickly'...

Having my son just made me realise that there was no way on God's green earth I could subscribe to parenting the way I had seen it presented to me up until then.

Then I joined the Aus Breastfeeding Association, and as a lot of gentle/AP stuff kinda goes hand in hand with breastfeeding, I slowly got introduced to mums who were gentle with and practiced 'attachment-style' parenting. Which then got me wondering if there were Christian resources for this style of parenting.

And then I found GCM...
Amahoro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Amahoro For This Useful Post:
bentlaj11 (05-31-2012), katiekind (05-30-2012), rjy9343 (05-30-2012), Tasmanian Saint (05-31-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #36
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

I was spanked growing up and it didn't teach me anything positive at all. At some point, I figured out that most of my friends had not been spanked as children. They're now adults and they turned out just fine, if not better, when compared to my friends who were spanked.

I read research about childrearing as well as books like Unconditional Parenting and The Continuum Concept which challenged my views of normal. Reading all those Torey Hayden books in college probably didn't hurt either since she was a teacher and couldn't spank the special-needs children she was teaching. Those were hard books to read, but one was required for my education courses and I read all the others pretty soon after that first one.

I did NOT, however, deeply examine spanking from a Christian perspective until maybe 2 years ago when I joined GCM. I'd read a few articles here over the years and had read a bit on the message board without becoming a member in the five years preceding my membership. I read enough to know that I was comfortable with not spanking and my own parents disagree that spanking is *mandated* by the Bible so the choice to not spank at all was not a huge stretch for me really.

Spanking has never been an option for me with my kids. I struggle mainly still with yelling and I don't have nearly as much patience as I wish I had But I'm working on those things and GCM has given me many tools to help with that process I was on the road to permissive parenting when I joined GCM and I'm so glad that I came here when I did!

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BarefootBetsy For This Useful Post:
Tasmanian Saint (05-31-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #37
ruhama
Deactivated

Jumping off the hot tin roof.

ruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond repute

A million little things.

Our pastor, Joe, said one day he brought his three children into his study - one by one. His first, his son, he asked "What is the most important thing I've taught you? What is most important about life?" "Always do the right thing," his son answered.

I have failed, Joe thought.

He brought his second son in and asked again. "What is the most important lesson I've taught you about life?" "Always do what's right. Follow the rules," said the second son.

I have failed again.

His youngest, his daughter, came in next. Again he asked, "what is the most important thing?" he asked. "Jesus will always love me," she said.

Truly, I want the most important thing in my son's mind to be that Jesus loves him. I don't want him spending his life trying to mimic the fruit of righteousness. You can paint a rock red and tie it to a vine, but it's a far cry from a ripe tomato. You cannot punish a child into loving God or himself or you or his neighbors you can only punish him into feigning such things. Therefore I hope to disciple my children in the limited ways a sinner can so that they are pointed to God's mercy and love. The world has enough pain to teach the lessons the world demands. Mercy is not taught through a lack of grace.
ruhama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to ruhama For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (06-17-2012), Barefoot Bookworm (06-16-2012), bentlaj11 (06-01-2012), blessedmamaofmany (06-03-2012), BlissfullyEsther (06-14-2012), charla (06-03-2012), DaltonsMomma (06-14-2012), DoulaClara (06-16-2012), dulce de leche (06-14-2012), everydaygrace (06-15-2012), Glitterfish (06-14-2012), gpsings (06-14-2012), Housekat (06-09-2012), jmom1984 (06-14-2012), lalaithnil (06-17-2012), LilacPhoenix (06-14-2012), Llee (06-03-2012), Maggirayne (06-16-2012), MaybeGracie (06-14-2012), MiriamRose (06-16-2012), NewCovenantMama (06-01-2012), Peridot (06-02-2012), PrincessAnika (06-16-2012), Redeemed (06-16-2012), ReedleBeetle (06-16-2012), Rose5000 (06-02-2012), Rugayatu (06-14-2012), sherry (06-01-2012), SnowWhite (06-21-2012), StewardofLOs (06-16-2012), StoryOfGrace (06-14-2012), SweetCaroline (06-01-2012), Tasmanian Saint (06-07-2012), tempestjewel (06-14-2012), Virginia (07-15-2012), wallflowermama (06-16-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #38
SweetCaroline
Rose Garden

a little Attachment Parenting will fix that

SweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhama View Post
A million little things.

Our pastor, Joe, said one day he brought his three children into his study - one by one. His first, his son, he asked "What is the most important thing I've taught you? What is most important about life?" "Always do the right thing," his son answered.

I have failed, Joe thought.

He brought his second son in and asked again. "What is the most important lesson I've taught you about life?" "Always do what's right. Follow the rules," said the second son.

I have failed again.

His youngest, his daughter, came in next. Again he asked, "what is the most important thing?" he asked. "Jesus will always love me," she said.

Truly, I want the most important thing in my son's mind to be that Jesus loves him. I don't want him spending his life trying to mimic the fruit of righteousness. You can paint a rock red and tie it to a vine, but it's a far cry from a ripe tomato. You cannot punish a child into loving God or himself or you or his neighbors you can only punish him into feigning such things. Therefore I hope to disciple my children in the limited ways a sinner can so that they are pointed to God's mercy and love. The world has enough pain to teach the lessons the world demands. Mercy is not taught through a lack of grace.
can i FB this or tattoo it across my torso or something..anything?? thats fantastic.
ISFP
SweetCaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SweetCaroline For This Useful Post:
gpsings (06-14-2012), ruhama (06-03-2012), StewardofLOs (06-16-2012), Tasmanian Saint (06-07-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #39
ruhama
Deactivated

Jumping off the hot tin roof.

ruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetCaroline View Post
can i FB this or tattoo it across my torso or something..anything?? thats fantastic.
Sharing is acceptable. Tattoos are fantastic.
ruhama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ruhama For This Useful Post:
blessedmamaofmany (06-03-2012), StewardofLOs (06-16-2012), SweetCaroline (06-01-2012)
Old 06-09-2012, 05:00 AM   #40
Tandem mama
Rose Garden

In my world everyone's a pony

Tandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond repute

I had lots of non-spanking friends who told me why they didn't spank. I was spanking "right" and it wasn't frequent so I thought to each their own.

Nothing anyone said changed my views. It was when our family was in a high stress situation and sunshine was acting oppositionally. I spanked her. She did the behavior again. I spanked again. Harder. Repeat another time. I had this sort of revelation. "this is not working!!!" another time, during that same period, I was yelling and screaming and spanking her and I had a sort of out of body experience where I saw myself. I was terrifying!!! My poor baby. I looked like an abusive parent. I was not spanking hard but wow I was so scary. That's the moment when all my defenses of what I was doing flew out the window. I broke down and cried and apologized to my little girl and prayed and swore i would not spank again. At first it was difficult because I didn't have the tools. At first I wanted to spank. I may have slipped a couple times, I can't fully remember. But I've worked hard and it's been over a year since she's been spanked. She doesn't cower in fear when she makes a mistake anymore. Before that stressful time I'd only spanked a couple times. We are doing better and better. I still struggle with yelling but I've come a long way from that day when I looked like a monster.

Married since 2007 to my Apple-geeky artist Don (INTJ)
Mommy to Lydia (1/08) "Nature is really dirty"
Charlotte (7/10) "me am not chawlotte me are batman"
Introducing Nolan January 11, 2014

Tandem mama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tandem mama For This Useful Post:
gpsings (06-14-2012), Peridot (06-16-2012), rjy9343 (06-14-2012), Tasmanian Saint (06-09-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #41
Rugayatu
Climbing Rose

Rugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amahoro View Post
Ummm... I had a baby...

As time went on, I started thinking 'What the HECK was my mother thinking? Why on EARTH do my Church friends recommend a book with such horrid thoughts about babies? How can people isolate such tiny babies so quickly'...

Having my son just made me realise that there was no way on God's green earth I could subscribe to parenting the way I had seen it presented to me up until then.
This. We have friends who had their first child 8 days after DD and they followed Babywise to a "T" from the beginning. They also recommended TTUAC which they had gotten from a family member. We read bits and pieces of both books and I just could not imagine treating my child the way they described. MIL would talk about how FIL would put DH down in the farthest bedroom and take MIL to the basement and turn the TV up so she couldn't hear DH crying as an infant. I just could not imagine doing that to my sweet babe.

Then our friends with their baby were talking about "switching" as young as six months, flicking and the dad said one day, "Babies and toddlers can't understand, they can't be taught because they don't have reasoning, but they can be conditioned, just like a dog." To compare a child to a dog just about made me lose it. Even if I did believe my child should be trained like an animal, I was a professional horse trainer before DD was born and I know that beating and punishment is not the way you train an animal either.

I figured there had to be a better way. I finally found GCM last fall when DD was turning 2. I have smacked her hand a couple times (before that) because I just did not know what else to do, it was completely in anger and I knew immediately that it was desperately wrong and apologized. But that punitive mindset is SO hard to get rid of!! I used time outs for quite awhile, most of which DD would spend crying for me. But even though it's the way I was (mostly) raised, it just didn't make sense to me. Actually my horse training background has been a bonus because I trained horses in a very positive way as well, but with DD it goes so far beyond that, obviously. I am so thankful every day for this place, I would be so lost without it!
mama to sweet and spunky DD ~ 9/2/09
squishy and serene DS ~ 1/12/14
and my angel baby ~ 1/8/2008

"The work we do is only our love for Jesus in action."
~Mother Theresa
Rugayatu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rugayatu For This Useful Post:
Llee (06-16-2012), PrincessAnika (06-16-2012), rjy9343 (06-14-2012), Tasmanian Saint (06-15-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #42
gpsings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

ORANGE you glad I made a new avatar? :D

gpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansmama View Post
This basic argument:

If Proverbs is literal, then you need to beat your 2 year old on the back with a large stick. But that would bruise or break their back and is illegal. So, obviously it's not literal. So, if it's not literal, why are you hitting them?
It also says if you beat them with a rod they will not die.

I was reading another book about 'Godly Vegetable Growing' or something like that....I went to that forum board. They were closed off and hostile and very very defensive of spanking. So, looking for a parenting style/ method...and having a friend who seemed to have success using it, I signed up.
I used a wooden spoon on the back of the thighs.
One day, I opened the drawer to get a spoon to mix something, and my son whimpered and crossed his legs. The look in his eye made me cry.
Someone on that board had made a snide remark about the Gently Christian Mothers and it wasn't very nice, but it implied that the children were undisciplined.
I decided to check it out, since I was deeply troubled at the thought of spanking again.
I have so many regrets about my parenting before finding this place, but I'm here now, and my children know they are safe. Except for yelling. I'm still working on that one...

Gretchen
ENTP
Wife of Kevin
Blessed AP, Homeschooling mama to:
Aneliese age 13, Breena age 10, and Caden age 7

gpsings is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gpsings For This Useful Post:
Llee (06-16-2012), Peridot (06-16-2012), rjy9343 (06-14-2012), Tasmanian Saint (06-15-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #43
blessedmamaofmany
Deactivated

I love my life.

blessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsings View Post
It also says if you beat them with a rod they will not die.

I was reading another book about 'Godly Vegetable Growing' or something like that....I went to that forum board. They were closed off and hostile and very very defensive of spanking. So, looking for a parenting style/ method...and having a friend who seemed to have success using it, I signed up.
I used a wooden spoon on the back of the thighs.
One day, I opened the drawer to get a spoon to mix something, and my son whimpered and crossed his legs. The look in his eye made me cry.
Someone on that board had made a snide remark about the Gently Christian Mothers and it wasn't very nice, but it implied that the children were undisciplined.
I decided to check it out, since I was deeply troubled at the thought of spanking again.
I have so many regrets about my parenting before finding this place, but I'm here now, and my children know they are safe. Except for yelling. I'm still working on that one...
I have so many regrets too.

I remember once (last year?) we were walking through Walmart an my oldest pointed to wooden spoons displayed and said, "I remember when you spanked us with those".
Oh God! How could I have been so cruel?! I cried out in my heart. She was NINE. I hadn't hit them with spoons in FIVE years. I couldn't believe she remembered.
Right there I begged her forgiveness and told her it was wrong of me and it is never ok for an adult to hit a child.
blessedmamaofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to blessedmamaofmany For This Useful Post:
BlissfullyEsther (06-14-2012), gpsings (06-20-2012), Llee (06-16-2012), Peridot (06-16-2012), rjy9343 (06-15-2012), Tasmanian Saint (06-15-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #44
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsings View Post
Someone on that board had made a snide remark about the Gently Christian Mothers and it wasn't very nice, but it implied that the children were undisciplined...
As they say, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

It was meant for evil but God used it for good.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
everydaygrace (06-15-2012), gpsings (06-20-2012), LearningMama (06-14-2012), Llee (06-16-2012), NewCovenantMama (06-15-2012), Peridot (06-16-2012), PrincessAnika (06-16-2012), saturnfire16 (06-23-2012), Virginia (07-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #45
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmamaofmany View Post
I have so many regrets too.

I remember once (last year?) we were walking through Walmart an my oldest pointed to wooden spoons displayed and said, "I remember when you spanked us with those".
Oh God! How could I have been so cruel?! I cried out in my heart. She was NINE. I hadn't hit them with spoons in FIVE years. I couldn't believe she remembered.
Right there I begged her forgiveness and told her it was wrong of me and it is never ok for an adult to hit a child.
But you saw what you were doing was wrong and stopped. That makes a huge difference in your relationship with your kids. And your kids now will be armed with truth before they are parents instead of feeling their way for it.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
blessedmamaofmany (06-16-2012), gpsings (06-20-2012), ReadingMommy (06-15-2012), Rugayatu (06-15-2012), SnowWhite (06-21-2012), Tandem mama (06-15-2012), Tasmanian Saint (06-15-2012)