Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #16
UltraMother
Rose Garden

UltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What changed your perspective?

I was a nanny for a family in the early '90s, and it was standard practice to smack the 1yo's hand if he reached for his food before an adult was ready to feed it to him. A few months after I started the job, an African refugee family was sharing the house, and their 10yo girl observed me smack the little boy's hand.
She said to me, "Oh, please, don't beat him!", and I was completely stunned to think that someone could label a little teaching smack that way. I didn't change my views on spanking/smacking until many years later, but her comment was the first little thing that made me question what I thought about discipline.

Babies-they just grow on you.
UltraMother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to UltraMother For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (06-14-2012), Eowyn (05-26-2012), gpsings (06-14-2012), katiekind (05-25-2012), LearningMama (05-26-2012), Llee (06-03-2012), SnowWhite (05-25-2012), swimming with sharks (05-26-2012), Tasmanian Saint (05-26-2012), Virginia (07-15-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #17
sherry
Rose Blossom

sherry is just really nicesherry is just really nicesherry is just really nicesherry is just really nicesherry is just really nice

Babysitting as a fourteen year old. The parents instruction if the kids didn't listen: "Hit them with the fly swatter". So I did that once. And realized, at 14, that was seriously useless in getting kids under control. The lesson kind of stuck with me.

And I will be forever grateful to the co-worker who, very gently, warned me off of Babywise.
sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sherry For This Useful Post:
gpsings (06-14-2012), katiekind (05-25-2012), Peridot (05-29-2012), SnowWhite (05-25-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 10:53 PM   #18
SubarbanHippie

I was never big on spanking, but I was still punitive. I made threats, yelled, showed obvious frustration, provoked my son to anger, pinned unrealistic expectations on him, etc. I will never forget an incident in which I threatened to take all of my son's toys out into the yard and light them on fire if he didn't stop acting out. The look of fear and hurt on his face I will never forget. I actually broke down and cried and told him how sorry I was.

When I became a Christian, I knew I couldn't follow the fundamentalist, traditional approach like TTUaC, GKGW, BW, SaCH or tomato staking. The methodology and interpretation of the Scriptures never sat right with my spirit. I knew God was leading me in another direction. It was actually during a spanking debate on another forum I'm a member of that I found out about GOYBP and AoLFF, which lead me to here. I knew I'd found what it was I'd been trying to do all along, only I didn't have a name for it, a list of tools, a support system or a central clearinghouse of information on it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
gpsings (06-14-2012), LearningMama (05-26-2012), PaperMomma (05-26-2012), sherry (05-26-2012), Tasmanian Saint (05-26-2012)
Old 05-26-2012, 07:14 AM   #19
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

Really it was GCM. I was planning on spanking Ivy when she was older and making sure she knew who was in charge at birth. But God softened my heart enough to stop me until I foung GCM. I found several blogs that caused a complete about face in my thinking and attitudes. Once I learned that I could be nice to my daughter and still be in God's will, I took GBD and ran. I still feel giddy when I remember that revelation.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (06-14-2012), gpsings (06-14-2012), Hermana Linda (05-28-2012), LearningMama (05-26-2012), Peridot (05-29-2012), Tasmanian Saint (05-26-2012), UltraMother (05-28-2012)
Old 05-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #20
Mama4ever
Rose Bouquet

Mama4ever is a splendid one to beholdMama4ever is a splendid one to beholdMama4ever is a splendid one to beholdMama4ever is a splendid one to beholdMama4ever is a splendid one to beholdMama4ever is a splendid one to beholdMama4ever is a splendid one to beholdMama4ever is a splendid one to behold

When my second child was two, I was telling my fil how stubborn and strong-willed she was. He said, "She is determined to have things her way. Teach her right from wrong and that will serve her well when she is older." After that, I quit looking at my interactions with her so negatively and looked for better ways to parent. Around that same time someone posted a link to GCM on another mommy board that I was on.

I doubt fil even remembers that conversation!! He really is a wise man and I am blessed to have him in my life.

married to J
mom to four
Mama4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mama4ever For This Useful Post:
LearningMama (05-26-2012), Llee (06-03-2012), OnAMission (05-28-2012), Virginia (07-15-2012)
Old 05-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #21
LearningMama
Rose Trellis

LearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond repute

Growing up I knew I wanted to parent differently. I was almost always hit out of anger and I knew that was wrong. I still thought spanking was necessary but you just had to do it the right way. I heard a couple Christians talking about how they disciplined their kids and figured if you spanked the right way that was better.

Right around the time I met my DH I was spending time with my pastor and his wife at their home helping out with painting and chores. They are AP (I didn't know what it was called at the time) and it really struck me that they actually talked to their daughters who were around 6 and 3 at the time. They took their time with them let their daughters make their own choices and treated them like people. A lot of seeds were planted during that time

When I became pregnant my pastors wife recommended Dr. Sears' "The Baby Book". Then I went online and started reading. I found Hobo Mama's blog, which led me to Dulce de Leche's blog, which lead me to GCM Lurking around here in the GD and UPP forums really helped me see that spanking is not necessary and GBD is what I can do and what I want for our family.
Welcome Baby "YoYo" !! January 2014
Keeper of one grey cat Liz

...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Last edited by LearningMama; 05-26-2012 at 09:21 AM. Reason: spelling
LearningMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LearningMama For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (06-14-2012), Virginia (07-15-2012)
Old 05-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #22
swimming with sharks
Rose Garden

swimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond repute

I was spanked. We planned on spanking our kids. Then I learned about 'grace'. How's that? Being raised a Christian, I'd never heard the word "GRACE" and all that it entails. I knew I was forgiven, just not the WHOLE encompassing thing.

So I learned about Grace and how AWESOME it was.

Then I got pregnant.

Then I found GCM and read with intrigue that there were all the people who didn't spank.

I read and read and kept reading. It all started to click. One day, I broached it with dh and he was all like That's RIDICULOUS. Then I brought in teaching children about Jesus and showing them Grace like He shows us Grace (even though as adults and we SHOULD know better) and it was like a lightbulb He said Ohhhhh and at that point we followed on the path. Not to say we're always AWESOME at it. 30 years of punitive parenting drilled in to ones brain makes the switch hard some days. But Grace is for Mommas and Daddies too!
'Dragonfly' 6 yo ds
the new kid is 3.5 yo ds
always remembering the one I didn't get to hold

Mary has been healed by the blood of the lamb

swimming with sharks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to swimming with sharks For This Useful Post:
gpsings (06-14-2012), OnAMission (05-28-2012), rjy9343 (05-26-2012), sherry (05-26-2012), Tasmanian Saint (05-26-2012)
Old 05-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #23
NewCovenantMama
Climbing Rose

NewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond repute

For me it was a combination of things. First it became obvious that spanking was inappropriate for ds1, who has autism. That set me wondering - if spanking were really God's prescription for parenting then surely it would be appropriate for all kids. I read advice to spank him "in faith", but it seemed nonsense to spank a child who, at that time, couldn't connect his behaviour with people's response to it and who quite literally couldn't understand the concept of punishment (typical of kids with autism BTW) . I also had a revelation that Jesus has taken the punishment for our children's sin, and all that remains for us to do is train/disciple them (the word "train" had no negative connotations for me then), and we are free to use whatever methods work best. At the time I still thought spanking was mandatory for certain circumstances - though I was a bit confused about exactly what - and that there was something spiritual about it which made it not punishment when done "properly". I was struggling with why if discipline wasn't punishment it sometimes had to look like it.

For various reasons I began researching parenting methods used by Christians. I was homeschooling at the time, and I came across aolff.org through a Christian forum for homeschoolers with autistic children. At first when I read that some Christians disagreed with spanking I assumed it was hooey, but when I examined the Biblical/pseudo-Biblical arguments for and against I found I could pick holes all over the place in the pro-spanking arguments, but couldn't fault those who said God doesn't require spanking. I found that, in general, the more pro-spanking the book or website, the more scripture twisting it contained.

Then when our twins were turning 3, I was concerned about my relationship with ds2 (2 min older than his twin ) as we were fighting each other a lot. I decided to try the 5 steps, and within 2 weeks our relationship was transformed. It took me a while to completely give up the occasional smack (as we call it in the UK), as I didn't always know what to do instead, and dh was sceptical about entirely giving it up. I went through stages of not smacking, then those little voices from the past told me I "ought" to give a smack "for that", and I'd give in for a time, then I'd stop again. I noticed that the only real difference in their behaviour was that when I was smacking they were more likely to hit each other. So I took the plunge and officially and openly became a non-spanking/smacking Mama. Dh is on board now as he has seen over the years how unnecessary it is.

Last edited by NewCovenantMama; 05-26-2012 at 07:58 PM.
NewCovenantMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NewCovenantMama For This Useful Post:
OnAMission (05-28-2012), rjy9343 (05-26-2012), tigerlily (05-26-2012)
Old 05-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #24
MaryPoppinsIAin't
Rose Bouquet

MaryPoppinsIAin't has a reputation beyond reputeMaryPoppinsIAin't has a reputation beyond reputeMaryPoppinsIAin't has a reputation beyond reputeMaryPoppinsIAin't has a reputation beyond reputeMaryPoppinsIAin't has a reputation beyond reputeMaryPoppinsIAin't has a reputation beyond reputeMaryPoppinsIAin't has a reputation beyond reputeMaryPoppinsIAin't has a reputation beyond reputeMaryPoppinsIAin't has a reputation beyond reputeMaryPoppinsIAin't has a reputation beyond reputeMaryPoppinsIAin't has a reputation beyond repute

Before I got pregnant, spanking was always in the back of my mind as a "last resort" sort of thing.

The problem is that I know very very well that the minute things get physical, from there they can only escalate until someone submits out of exhaustion or fear.

Getting spanked only made me angry and sad and scared, it didn't make me feel remorseful at all. Ever. I was never taught healthy ways of dealing with my feelings, or why I shouldn't do this or that, and when I FOUND a healthy outlet (writing/dancing/singing/etc) my parents would threaten to take it away to make me behave like I should. I can't tell you the handwritten stories in old spiral notebooks that are sitting in boxes, unfinished, because I didn't dare have anything special that I cared about. If my parents knew I cared about something, that it was important to me, they could and would use it against me.

There was so much of my childhood that is confusing and stressful to this day. Very little of it made sense, most of it was upsetting, a goodly chunk was traumatic, and I didn't want that for my kids.

I have always known I would have children. Shortly after we married, my husband and I both had the same dream. We know how many, their names, their coloring, the sound of their laughter. It took us six years of trying (and much stress and heartbreak and a time we thought we weren't going to make it) to conceive the first. After all that... I can't even imagine deliberately causing my child pain, and because of my bipolar issues, I can't allow physical discipline in my toolbox. It would inevitably get out of hand, and ... yeah, that's not a darkness I ever want to see the inside of again, and certainly not from the parent's viewpoint.
Three babes under 6, and most of what I know about kids comes from books and babysitting. So if I say something painfully naive, feel free to smile and shake your head as you laugh quietly to yourself.

ISFP. I-84, S-60, F-51, P-53

Laura John, 2006

JJ - , '11

Ana - , '14

Geordi - , '17

MaryPoppinsIAin't is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MaryPoppinsIAin't For This Useful Post:
Peridot (05-29-2012), Rose5000 (06-02-2012), Tasmanian Saint (05-29-2012), triscuit (05-28-2012)
Old 05-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #25
WingsOfTheMorning
Deactivated

WingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond repute

I can remember several things...
  • My surprise the first time my parents suggested a smack for Lydia at under a year old.
  • Thinking Dobson made sense until DD reached 18 months...the supposed age when defiance emerges. I just didn't see it in her then and that made me wonder.
  • Seeing the example of some of the AP parents I know through LLL and how they definitely had boundaries with their kids without the spanking I had been told was necessary.

Then I found GCM from a link in Kellymom.com and was so relieved to learn that I didnt have to sPank to follow Scripture.
WingsOfTheMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WingsOfTheMorning For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (05-28-2012), Virginia (07-15-2012)
Old 05-28-2012, 10:59 PM   #26
triscuit
Rosebud

triscuit is a jewel in the roughtriscuit is a jewel in the roughtriscuit is a jewel in the roughtriscuit is a jewel in the rough
Wink Re: What changed your perspective?

First because of my Mom I knew I needed to look at how I parented so I could be better.
Second I discussed spanking on another forum, it took a long, long time of mulling over the issue in my head and that helped change my perspective.

The straw that broke the camel's back was when a comment was made on a FB page I like against spanking... seeing ALLLLLLLLL these Moms come out and defend spanking and just the things they said and the argument back and forth, back and forth... it was just so mind-boggling and revealed a lot of things to me, and that's when I thought... that's it! I need to seek out a better way and decide! So I headed over here and I am learning SO much!

Remembering Lea 04W02D - Dec '11
& Baby J 06W4D - July '12
triscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to triscuit For This Useful Post:
gpsings (06-14-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 12:46 AM   #27
mwwr
Deactivated

It is good to be Queen!

mwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingMommy View Post
[/COLOR]How many of those kids did you know growing up who NO AMOUNT of spanking would "fix"? I knew plenty. If spanking is biblically prescribed, would that be the case?
My first 2 fit this description. No matter how consistent I was, spanking didn't "fix" them. They'd be dead before they quit fighting.

And, Dobson has a tiny disclaimer in TSWC that "This advice is not appropriate if your child has a medical issue affecting his/her behavior." :lightbulb But, of course, he provides no options for such a child.
mwwr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mwwr For This Useful Post:
gpsings (06-14-2012), Peridot (05-29-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #28
blessedmamaofmany
Deactivated

I love my life.

blessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, it's really difficult to talk about how I was before we stopped spanking. It makes me sick.

My 8yo has ASD. I knew it at an early age, but I spanked her mercilessly, because I didn't understand WHY she does what she does. I didn't have anyone to come along side me and say, "You seem like you're really struggling with her, can I offer you some advice?" I spanked her and my oldest with a wooden spoon, even tho I KNEW in my heart it was wrong. I was pregnant with my fourth, alone (Justin was gone for the Army), my third was only 6mo. I was tired, desperate, confused, and utterly unable to figure her out.

Anyways. Once Justin came home and we moved to NY, we finally got her diagnosed...eventually and the doctor looked right at me and said (kindly), "spanking doesn't work for these kids. Don't do it. THere are better ways"

That was a lightbulb moment for me. We still spanked for awhile because we didn't know any better. And there was a lot of festering anger in our home because of that, and other things. But that sat in my mind and I pondered it all.the.time.

THen it occurred to me. If Steph gets a pass cause she's ''disabled'', why wouldn't the other kids get a ''pass'' too. Why would I spank any of them?
I had some other revelations in there too. Like, I remember having anxiety attacks when my dad would spank my brother. I just couldn't handle it. How could I do that to my babies? Which then reveals I was spanking in anger and out of a NEED to punish...which goes against the cardinal "rule" of "biblical spanking". But the thought of spanking them when I'm calm and it's passed? That made no sense to me. And made me even more anxious.
So I finally said we weren't going to spank anymore. It wasn't fixing anything, and we were ALL getting angrier. I said no more. The end.

I found GCM in the midst of that. I had known Shannon and Heather before from another forum, and they always spoke grace over their kids. Always. That always stuck with me.

I hate who I was then. I so wish I'd had someone to come along side and mentor me. I wish I'd have found GCM sooner.

That was really hard to share. I need chocolate now.
blessedmamaofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to blessedmamaofmany For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (06-14-2012), gpsings (06-14-2012), Llee (06-03-2012), Peridot (05-29-2012), ReadingMommy (05-29-2012), Rose5000 (06-02-2012), Tasmanian Saint (05-30-2012), triscuit (05-29-2012), Virginia (07-15-2012), WingsOfTheMorning (05-29-2012)
The Following User Says they are praying for blessedmamaofmany:
Rose5000 (06-02-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #29
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

{{{{Sandy}}}}

I am sorry. I have many regrets in parenting too. Not that regret, but others. It's hard.
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #30
Petie
Climbing Rose

Petie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond repute

I never spanked Gav. He was abused before he lived with us so that was out of the question. For my bio kids, it was when my then four year old spanked his two year old sister and quietly explained that he had to spank her to "teach" her how to behave. He also insisted that he did it because he loved her. Yeah, we haven't spanked since.
Lala 11
Simon 8
Petie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Petie For This Useful Post:
gpsings (06-14-2012), rjy9343 (05-30-2012), Tasmanian Saint (05-30-2012)