Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 10-07-2015, 09:18 PM   #16
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation
Default Re: HELP! 12 yo refusing to shower

I just come out and tell my children 'you're getting older and you stink. I refuse to smell you so take a shower." and their world will come to a halt until they do.

If he insists he likes the smell of sink then I'd have him rub himself with a washcloth and feel free to sniff it all he wants.

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

I do think the age is seeking more responsibility and freedom -- it's one of the ages I have the talk about stealing privileges and focus on earning them with responsibility
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:32 PM   #17
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

It has been a month. Soccer is over and he now had little reason to shower. Tonight I remembered he didn't shower yesterday after Kung and his legs were covered in mid from his soccer team party. I told him he had to shower during half time of the football game. Thought we were in agreement. Now he is yelling at me that I said he just had to wash his legs. I NEVER said that.

Grrrrr!!!!!!!!

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:52 PM   #18
wildswede
Rose Blossom

wildswede will become famous soon enoughwildswede will become famous soon enough

Have you talked to him about the reason for not wanting to shower? In a collaborative problem solving course I did, we watched a video of a high school principal who had to talk to a student about his body odor... turns out the boy was horrified at the thought of sharing a bar of soap with the rest of his family. A wash cloth and liquid soap solved the problem immediately. Not that this is what is going on, but if you engage in the battle and try to meet force with force you won't ever find out what the real issue is and it could be something super easy to change.
wildswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wildswede For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (11-20-2015), The Tickle Momster (11-20-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 11:49 PM   #19
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I remember my last two years of high school I drove myself to school. I'd be just about ready to get out of bed in the morning and my dad would tell me to get up. That always made me stay in bed an extra 15 minutes.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
BlissfullyEsther (11-20-2015), JessicaTX (11-20-2015), Quiteria (11-20-2015), The Tickle Momster (11-20-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 01:47 PM   #20
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

There are 2 issues. One is not liking to actually get undressed and into the shower. The other is not wanting to put on jammies while still damp.

Last night I gave him the choice to shower before bed, or strip his bed in the morning and shower today. He chose the 2nd option. Told him if he gave me grief about showering today I'd revoke that choice for a loooong time. So far, so good.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Following User Says Thank You to The Tickle Momster For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (11-20-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 02:31 PM   #21
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Here i just implemented that he has to shower monday, wednesday, and saturday. no matter what. he can choose when he gets in but sometime that day he is in. it is working fairly well with smaller amounts of grief.

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
The Tickle Momster (11-20-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 05:05 PM   #22
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseforjoy View Post
Here i just implemented that he has to shower monday, wednesday, and saturday. no matter what. he can choose when he gets in but sometime that day he is in. it is working fairly well with smaller amounts of grief.
That could be an option during the not-soccer-season time. Might offer it to him.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
Old 11-20-2015, 06:15 PM   #23
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

Those issues seem reasonably easy to solve. I hate putting clothes on while damp so o wear a robe and lounge about until I feel ready to get dressed. Can he do something like that? have you asked him to help problem solve?
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (11-20-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 06:48 PM   #24
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

I'm usually pretty good at asking the kids to problem solve. I'm not sure he had any solutions. Need to ask again while we are both calm.

As for lounging in a robe, probably not a good solution at this point. The issue is we get home from Kung Fu at bedtime. So it's showers and bed.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
Old 11-20-2015, 07:31 PM   #25
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

my girls love to dry with a towel and then blow dry their body

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (11-21-2015), everybody's mother (11-21-2015), Quiteria (11-21-2015), rjy9343 (11-20-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 08:22 PM   #26
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

I hate getting dressed while damp as well. I can't always wear a robe until I am dry enough to not be uncomfortable so I use two towels and blow dry underarms and anywhere else that might be damp. I also like to turn on my celling fan so that my bed is cool and it's not so bad if I miss a spot.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (11-21-2015), Quiteria (11-21-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 11:16 AM   #27
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing that might help is if he doesn't dress in the bathroom after he is done. The humidity never really goes away.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (11-21-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 11:41 AM   #28
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

For not wanting to get undressed and into the shower, is he cold? I mean, he has to get undressed to change into pajamas anyway, right?

Sometimes being allowed to run a space heater for a few minutes while brushing teeth and using the toilet, etc., might be enough to make the room more comfortable. Plus learning to run the water for a second to get warm before climbing in, so that it's not hitting him with a cold blast.

Is there a good lock on the door so siblings don't barge in unintentionally?

I'd ask him a little more to see what he needs to problem solve like that.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (11-21-2015), The Tickle Momster (11-21-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 07:41 PM   #29
wildswede
Rose Blossom

wildswede will become famous soon enoughwildswede will become famous soon enough

I'm curious as to whether this maybe his way of telling you he needs to slow down with sports? Since he knows that showering is a requirement when he does sports, could this be a way of telling you by forcing his hand at something related to activities? Just tossing possibilities into the wind here, but perhaps showering is just a small piece of what's going on for him?
wildswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wildswede For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (11-21-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 01:00 AM   #30
FaithHopeLove
Rose Garden

Follow That Truck!

FaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond repute

Would changing the kind of fabric his pajamas are made of help? If there's any synthetic fibers in my sleepwear at all, I can't bear to wear them on damp skin. With cotton, I'm good.

PS - have you seen the number of views this has gotten? You must not be alone in this problem!
FaithHopeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FaithHopeLove For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (11-23-2015), rjy9343 (11-23-2015), The Tickle Momster (11-23-2015)