Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #16
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: parenting books/courses

The first book that I read that made me cry with relief that I wasn't alone on this journey was The Ministry of Parenting Your Baby by Sears, but it's out of print now

If they are looking for new baby stuff, Sears did have a book/CD class awhile back

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #17
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

While I overall like Turansky and Miller, there were a few things I didn't love about their books. The biggest one was their idea of telling kids that they're making God sad by their actions. I blogged about that one (back in 2007!), and Scott Turansky came on my blog and responded to my criticism. He did so really respectfully, which I thought was cool. He shares his belief on sin and kids, which I think some will agree with and others won't. I also blogged on several things I really liked in that book. They are in other posts.

(And, on a side note, it is hilarious to read the things I thought 6 years ago. Wow. We've changed a lot, LOL.)

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Punkie For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (09-12-2013), CelticJourney (09-12-2013), Ellen (09-12-2013), flowermama (09-13-2013), inesperada (09-12-2013), Luciola (11-17-2013), MercyInDisguise (09-13-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #18
Ellen
Deactivated

Ellen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, Punkie. I either haven't seen/heard that from them or didn't remember it. What I like about them is their ability to reach all kinds of parents with simple practical, positive tools.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ellen For This Useful Post:
Katigre (09-13-2013), Llee (11-17-2013)
Old 09-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #19
ruhama
Deactivated

Jumping off the hot tin roof.

ruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove View Post
I didn't set the price for Biblical Parenting. I had literally no say in it.

Grace-Based Living is out and it's more reasonably priced - I had a say in that. There is a free downloadable study guide for both books on my site.

I'm really sorry you couldn't get into it. You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I'm not sure why you felt the need to add it to this discussion , but you're certainly entitled to it
Oh I'm just sharing my experience the way I would with any other book, the same way others here have with other parenting books - the same way I do when I discuss ANY book with a group of fellow readers. I can understand that my feedback could be disappointing to hear. I don't see a writing style-reader mismatch as something pointed toward the author at all, I don't think it's unkind to assess the writing style or ability displayed when an author publishes a book. I do think the book's writing style is significantly different from other parenting books out there and having a hard time reading it is a legitimate concern to share when discussing how accessible a book is for a group of varied people. Everyone on GCM kept saying how good it was and how much they loved it and when I first came here I was desperate to get a copy. I don't see any reason why we wouldn't be just as welcome to share opinions on this book as we would any other parenting book. And so I'll keep doing so.

If my words have been hurtful, please PM me.

Know who else's writing style is grating for me? Patrick Rothfuss. The dude everyone loves in fantasy right now and is selling a ton of books. And if someone recommended his book here I'd say the same thing (only I'd be more critical b/c he really failed at writing female characters for that series and totally fell in the Mary Sue trap).

There are books I stopped reading b/c of time and lack of interest but Biblical Parenting was one I stopped reading (and still would like to finish) because my brain wasn't sliding smoothly over the writing.

That must be frustrating to be unable to set the price for BP. But still, regardless of the control you have over it, it is significantly more expensive than other parenting books out there. That's probably just what happens with how it was/is printed. But it's still a down-side. *I* would not attend a parenting group/seminar using BP or a similar book (in price or size of printing).

Connected Families also has free group study guides on their website. I think we should get a list of all the parenting books that have study guides. That would make an awesome sticky! Or just a good resource. This question seems to get asked pretty frequently.

CJ, I'm sending you a PM.
ruhama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #20
On Fire
Rose Bush

On Fire is a jewel in the roughOn Fire is a jewel in the roughOn Fire is a jewel in the roughOn Fire is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticJourney View Post
She asked for suggestions. I gave mine. I am trying to ascribe positive intent to your comments, but they just seem deliberately unkind.

I was shocked too. Especially in this context.

Last edited by On Fire; 11-17-2013 at 06:17 PM.
On Fire is offline   Reply With Quote