Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* > Cloth Diapering & EC *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Cloth Diapering & EC *Public* A public forum.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:41 AM   #1
Sweet Life
Rose Garden

Sweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond repute
Default ECing 101 - Getting Started with a Newborn?

I've never ECd before ... I found the sticky that has links to a bunch of other websites, but wondered if GCM EC experts could weigh in with best tips and tricks here, as a getting started guide?

Newbie questions:
-Do some babies show signs that they are likely to EC well? Is EC for every baby?
-What signs does baby show, and how can I help her learn?
-What potties, diapers or pants do you like best?
-How does our routine change, in general?

I'm sure there are 2 million more questions, too....
Old 06-19-2017, 10:55 AM   #2
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ECing 101 - Getting Started with a Newborn?

I've ECed all of mine. I feel like they were all naturals at it. I've heard babies who don't like to be wet can do better, but none of mine cared about being wet and they still did great.

Signs are something you can observe and get to know. There is a certain kind of grunting that is hard to describe (but I can tell when strangers' babies in public places need to go potty ). Some babies have individual signs, too. It also doesn't hurt to just take them potty a bunch and sometimes there is just intuition- you just know they need to go and they do. Babies pee all. the. time. so there are lots of chances and chances are if you take them they will go.

I put my kids in cloth diapers (prefolds and thirsties duos) and they still get peed in a lot. I'm not one of those "baby never has an accident" ec moms. Mine still pee in their diapers plenty, but they also go in the potty plenty. But we get all the poop in the potty by 2-3 months.

Routine changes. . . well mostly you just add a potty stop in when you can. So they wake up and nurse right away, and then after that potty. Or just take her when you change her diaper or right before nursing to sleep. Take her before you go somewhere and as soon as you get home (if she's awake). I don't like to disturb babies to have them go potty, so for example mine would usually wake up and want to nurse right away and so even though they probably have to pee, I stopped bothering them with that. Also after they are done pooping at night I didn't take them at night because they were happier if I didn't try.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
JoannaV (06-19-2017), Sweet Life (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 02:44 PM   #3
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

I ECed my first from 5 weeks on. I ECed my preemie in the NICU. I ssssed him. It helped me feel like he was mine in some tiny way. (because they really don't in the NICU in the beginning).

By 12 weeks, she didn't stool in her diaper anymore. She was still stooling 6 times a day at 6 months though! At 12 months, starting squatting to stool. No stool issues until 36 months when we came home with newborn/preemie brother and I fed her poorly. She got constipated. It was awful and a years-long healing.

I ECed her about hourly during the day. She liked to nurse while peeing. So the insert out of a little potty works for sitting at the couch. I often just nursed her in the bathroom and put her bum over the toilet as I was in there for crazy milk supply anyway. (milk sprayed everywhere)

Not consistently day trained until about 28? months. We moved internationally when she was 24 months and that set her back a bit.

I was fine with that because it seems like early enough for me. Certainly not "early" but not as late as what is now common in the US. I am just done washing cloth by then, and I think the vast majority of kids *could* be ready then if other factors align (mom is ready, etc!).

With my 2nd, I mostly just offered when I was changing his diaper. He was only stooling once a WEEK!!! when he came home from NICU. Nice to catch that doozy in the sink (yep). Then I toilet papered it into the toilet. Deep cleaned sink if we had visitors coming. (rare)

He refused to EC from 12-24 months. Potty trained in one day at 24 months. Almost no accidents. Put him in undies and left house. Offered bathroom at all our stops (grocery store, library).

With this new one, I *plan* to EC in the day and forget the nights unless it calms bloody murder screaming. My little sister's baby doesn't seem bothered by peeing her pants (what I call it when infants pee in their diapers-lol) at all. A more sensitive child might be bothered.

I plan to start out with only offering when I am already changing diaper (which is pretty often for me with newborn......I do remember that my first often stooled 3 times in quick succession when in diapers. Seemed to get it all out at once when ECed. Better positioning?)

I'm sure I own most of the books. Maybe just see which ones the library has. They probably have at least one.

I mostly just want to focus on stooling this time because I think stooling in our pants is gross. At any age!
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Sweet Life (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 09:40 PM   #4
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

I ec'd two. One huge thing is if you think they need to go, they almost always do. We developed a really kind of psychic thing. My lap would feel like I just got majorly peed on but it was dry. I learned really quickly to take them immediately because I was about to get peed on.

Our "routine" was always immediately after waking up and after eating. Cues during other times. We had a potty but didn't use it until a couple of months old. They were usually just diaperless But when we did use diapers I used bumgenius Velcro.

My son was independent by 18 months, my daughter we had to stop
At 10 months due to a long illness but I was able to keep her from
Being cathed twice thanks to EC.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
Sweet Life (06-20-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 09:43 PM   #5
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother of Sons View Post
I ec'd two. One huge thing is if you think they need to go, they almost always do. We developed a really kind of psychic thing. My lap would feel like I just got majorly peed on but it was dry. I learned really quickly to take them immediately because I was about to get peed on.

Our "routine" was always immediately after waking up and after eating. Cues during other times. We had a potty but didn't use it until a couple of months old. They were usually just diaperless But when we did use diapers I used bumgenius Velcro.

My son was independent by 18 months, my daughter we had to stop
At 10 months due to a long illness but I was able to keep her from
Being cathed twice thanks to EC.
I completely agree that when you feel you are about to get wet, they are telling you they need to go. They are not wet yet. It's crazy fun. They can talk!
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Mother of Sons (06-19-2017), Sweet Life (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 02:08 AM   #6
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Earthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond repute

Subbing because this is something I'm interested in but a little intimated by

Isabel
Mama to BB, 13
S, 4
T, 2
And Miss A 27/3/2020

Always missing my 5 9/10-1/12
My new venture! www.facebook.com/dizzyknits

Earthmummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Earthmummy07 For This Useful Post:
Sweet Life (06-20-2017)