Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
Eowyn
Deactivated
I support GCM!

I am no man!

Eowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Light bulb moment

I grew up being spanked as the first resort form of discipline. Often, I would react by getting angry (of course), and throwing a giant fit. I just now, at 30, realized in part why it was never just one spanking.

I didn't react properly. I didn't do what I was supposed to. I was *supposed* to submit and admit the error of my little kid ways. I was supposed to somehow connect the pain I was experiencing with my action and realize that I had done the wrong thing and remember not to do it again. I was supposed to be penitent and sorrowful for my actions.

Except that I hadn't read the book. I didn't know that I was supposed to be sorry for what I'd done. I didn't know what I was supposed to be doing. I just knew that somehow, causing me pain didn't serve to ease the anger or the frustration of the person inflicting it. I did know that it hurt and it made me angry and that my anger and feelings were then directed immediately towards the pain and the person inflicting it.

Spanking interferes with the cause and effect relationship of discipline and consequences because it comes between the erroneous action and the real-world results.
Eowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Eowyn For This Useful Post:
Can'tTurnLeft (05-26-2012), DaltonsMomma (06-24-2012), duckwithoneleg (05-26-2012), FlyingBlueKiwi (05-26-2012), homesteadmama (05-26-2012), lalaithnil (05-26-2012), Little Forest (05-28-2012), Llee (05-26-2012), melliethepooh (06-23-2012), mwwr (05-26-2012), NewCovenantMama (05-27-2012), OperaDivaMom (06-01-2012), ReadingMommy (05-26-2012), rjy9343 (05-26-2012), Rose5000 (06-02-2012), RubySlippers (06-02-2012), Singingmom (06-23-2012), Tasmanian Saint (05-28-2012), TenderLovingWillow (05-26-2012), The Tickle Momster (05-26-2012), triscuit (05-28-2012)
Old 05-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
TenderLovingWillow
Rose Garden

TenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Light bulb moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eowyn View Post
I grew up being spanked as the first resort form of discipline. Often, I would react by getting angry (of course), and throwing a giant fit. I just now, at 30, realized in part why it was never just one spanking.

I didn't react properly. I didn't do what I was supposed to. I was *supposed* to submit and admit the error of my little kid ways. I was supposed to somehow connect the pain I was experiencing with my action and realize that I had done the wrong thing and remember not to do it again. I was supposed to be penitent and sorrowful for my actions.

Except that I hadn't read the book. I didn't know that I was supposed to be sorry for what I'd done. I didn't know what I was supposed to be doing. I just knew that somehow, causing me pain didn't serve to ease the anger or the frustration of the person inflicting it. I did know that it hurt and it made me angry and that my anger and feelings were then directed immediately towards the pain and the person inflicting it.

Spanking interferes with the cause and effect relationship of discipline and consequences because it comes between the erroneous action and the real-world results.
I am in the middle of writing a blog post about this exact same thing!! I realized this last week.

Its hard to recognize sometimes.. I grieve for the little girl I was, and I wish I could go back and give her a heads up.

The bolded should go in the Radom Quote section at the top of the page. :reckon
TenderLovingWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TenderLovingWillow For This Useful Post:
Eowyn (05-26-2012), Little Forest (05-28-2012), Tasmanian Saint (05-28-2012)
Old 05-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
WingsOfTheMorning
Deactivated

WingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond repute

This is a great response to the idea that a spanking is supposed to get the child's attention.
WingsOfTheMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

I would egg my parents on. I had a really tough bottom. My once broke a spoon on my bottom. I think she stopped spanking around that time. I was too "strong willed". I am glad I didn't come from a Dobson family. I am sure I wuldn't believe in God.

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
ReadingMommy
Rose Trellis

ReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Mostly what I remember is the relief when it was all over (I guess my parents thought that was repentance) But I think what spankings were really "good for" was the threat factor. All they had to do the next time something happened they didn't like is say "do you want a spanking?"
Creative, Thinking Boy (04/2008)
Spunky Little Lady (08/2010)
Snuggle-bug Sweetie (09/2014)

ReadingMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ReadingMommy For This Useful Post:
Lady Grey (05-26-2012)
Old 05-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
ShangriLewis

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

I always said yes.

My parents didn't spank for godly reasons. They did it because they thought you spanked when kids were bad. So, I seriously don't have that connection.

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
Eowyn
Deactivated
I support GCM!

I am no man!

Eowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShangriLewis View Post
I would egg my parents on. I had a really tough bottom. My once broke a spoon on my bottom. I think she stopped spanking around that time. I was too "strong willed". I am glad I didn't come from a Dobson family. I am sure I wuldn't believe in God.
It was a hairbrush here. And my parents did like Dobson quite a bit. They respect the way we're raising our children, though, to their great credit.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
ShangriLewis

My mom is super proud of me. She loves how far I have come

Heather

Old 05-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #9
Eowyn
Deactivated
I support GCM!

I am no man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShangriLewis View Post
I always said yes.
My thought process was, "Of course I don't want one. But I want to do what I want to do, and you're going to do it anyway if I don't do exactly what you want, which isn't something I can figure out so.........what the heck. G'head."
The Following User Says Thank You to Eowyn For This Useful Post:
melliethepooh (06-23-2012)
Old 05-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
ReadingMommy
Rose Trellis

ReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My thought process was, "Of course I don't want one. But I want to do what I want to do, and you're going to do it anyway if I don't do exactly what you want, which isn't something I can figure out so.........what the heck. G'head."
Yes...the inscrutability of what behaviors were going to warrant a spanking is why I was spanked many times throughout my growing up years. But in the moment, if I was doing something, the threats worked enough to make me stop when told.

Our spanking implement was a plastic spoon that STUNG like crazy. It was not something I ever wanted to endure if given the option.

---------- Post added at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

Also, I like your point about kids not reading the parenting manuals! In my case though, my parents were pretty up front with their spanking philosophy. We always had discussion sessions about why they were doing it, complete with Bible verses to back it up. It was a good way to get us to toe the line...of course we couldn't argue with God's chosen way!
Creative, Thinking Boy (04/2008)
Spunky Little Lady (08/2010)
Snuggle-bug Sweetie (09/2014)

ReadingMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #11
Eowyn
Deactivated
I support GCM!

I am no man!

I am enormously thankful my parents didn't bring Scripture into it.

I was told that I had done something wrong, and now I must be punished, although I never really understood why.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I was told that I had done something wrong, and now I must be punished, although I never really understood why.
Bringing Scripture into it really messed with my head and gave me burdens that no child should ever shoulder. It is only in the last year that I realized just how wrong it is to quote scripture at a kid before you hit them.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
DaltonsMomma (06-24-2012), Little Forest (05-28-2012)
Old 05-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #13
tigerlily
Rose Garden

tigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

So at what age could you be told that "X was wrong" and you understood that it was wrong?

Or do you mean you never understood why you had to be punished? If that's the case, at about what age did you realize that you do need to make amends for a wrong done?

‎"Don't they teach recreational maths anymore?"
~The Doctor
tigerlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #14
lalaithnil
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

lalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond repute

GREAT insight, Lindsay! I was always confused about why I was getting spanked
, like the time I scratched my name in the car with my fingernail when I was 5; I thought it was HILARIOUS and that everyone else would agree. Not.so.much. Even more inscrutable was Dad standing over me after the spanking screaming at me to stop crying (that happened afterwards most times). I didn't get that, and still don't. Nobody talked to me about what I'd done wrong, about respecting property or anything. All I learned was not to scratch my name in the car, which I would've figured out anyway when nobody laughed.

lalaithnil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lalaithnil For This Useful Post:
Little Forest (05-28-2012), MercyInDisguise (06-01-2012), Rose5000 (06-02-2012)
Old 05-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #15
Eowyn
Deactivated
I support GCM!

I am no man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
So at what age could you be told that "X was wrong" and you understood that it was wrong?
Around 8 before I could really internalize it, but it was critical to be told why, and exactly why, not just because the Bible says so. It's part of growing into the knowledge and understanding of why the Lord commands what He does.

Quote:
Or do you mean you never understood why you had to be punished? If that's the case, at about what age did you realize that you do need to make amends for a wrong done?
That. I wasn't taught to make amends. As a result, I was in my 20s before I understood it. I'm doing my best to teach my kids this from the start.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eowyn For This Useful Post:
tigerlily (05-26-2012)