Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] > Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* A public forum.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:39 AM   #16
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Location: High above a great and beautiful canyon in a Golden State city...
Firebird Rising has disabled reputation
Default Re: Charlotte Mason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoismommy
I did want to note though that I think the list of attainments is for an older 6, so near to 7. Is that right? Sooo... we aren't worried about it yet.
Yes, I believe so also, but again, giving the benefit of the doubt, I am incorporating them into our daily life as well.

At this point, we are memorizing simple songs/poems like, "Run, run, as fast as you can, you can't catch me, I'm the gingerbread man." or the patty-cake patty-cake song that Cameron sings with Elijah, changing the verses each time he sings it, trying to make someone in the house laugh. We're setting the bricks for recitation and memorization.

Cameron has learned which side of the house the sun will set and where the moon can be found. He often will comment on the "pretty" sunsets and squeals at the sight of the moon when we're out and about. He gets his left and right most of the time, but seems to have regressed in the last few months, not sure if he's playing with us or if it's the 3 yr old thing.

We have been working on some wildflowers/garden flowers. Poppies, marigolds, roses and irises are among the plants he recognizes and can name out loud.

This summer, we talked about woodpeckers and then looked in DH's ID book to see what kind lived around here. When the woodpecker is up in the trees pecking, Cameron often will mention it and look for it in the tree.

At this age, I don't expect that I will get an answer when I ask questions about this stuff. It depends on his mood. I find that if I don't mention it and he sees something he knows a bit about, he'll bring it up. I wouldn't expect more of him than what I listed above and even that is inconsistent knowledge.

Funny enough, the last two days, I've really come to respect the idea of stretching a child upward, spiritually, emotionally, and knowledgeably without expecting consistency from them at the higher level. Believing that they "get it", giving them the benefit of the doubt, encourages me to think that their level of absorption is higher than we all might expect.

Oh boy, I'm talking a lot tonight. I'm going to keep my mouth quiet now. Hopefully I won't be having to put my foot in it.

Jen D.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks - Gandalf

Firebird Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:51 AM   #17
HummusDip

Jen, you are so wise. I'm sucking this up like a sponge. Please, keep talking.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:00 AM   #18
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummusDip
Jen, you are so wise. I'm sucking this up like a sponge. Please, keep talking.
I'm having a good day but I should probably stop because I couldn't remember how to spell "absorption" and had to google it and then didn't believe it so I grabbed a dictionary and lo and behold, it doesn't have two "b"s

Jen D.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks - Gandalf

Old 01-12-2009, 01:21 AM   #19
HummusDip

Don't you know I'm the worst speller ever??? You could spell my name wrong and I probably wouldn't notice.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:04 AM   #20
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireshifter
Hummus Dip,

With the recent post about your husband's struggle with the idea of homeschooling, presenting him with some of the Ambleside Online information as a loose structure for your plans might be what he needs to feel more at peace. Being that the AO schedule is rather firm, you can possibly suggest using some of the assignments from AO as well as incorporating unschooling/delight-driven/eclectic into your program. Just a thought to put out there, in case that idea will bring him over to....the DARK SIDE of us crazy homeschoolers

Jen D.
That is similar to what I did with Bart. He was and honestly still is hesitant about us homeschooling. However, having things laid out in front of him and seeing it in a traditional school format has helped him understand that while it may look like we are reading and playing outside all day there is a purpose and we are learning and learning things that have a place in our family culture.

Also, we are loosely working through year 0 books right now with JJ and he is seeing results from it which has also helped. Funny bit is after a quick overview of AO his response was "Huh, you've been doing this since Tori was 3 and didn't know it."

I plan on being loosely structured. My oldest needs it. She would prefer a strict schedule but a part of me dies a little inside when I have to stick to a strict schedule. I want to be able to explore topics deeper when and if our children express an interest. That freedom is important to me.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:02 AM   #21
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

illinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not a believer in a pure radical unschooling model because I do feel that children need some sort of established structure, something that helps them bend to a direction they would not naturally travel without guidance. I see a direct link between parents who lack self-discipline having children who lack self-discipline. I also see parents who have self-discipline with kids that do NOT. I believe the latter example is where a failure to communicate and address this absence of self-discipline occurs. I think the Charlotte Mason model comes into play to prevent such a problem by way of making things such as poetry a part of daily life to foster appreciation, encouraging fluency in another language to expose children to cultures they may not otherwise pursue or even be aware of, etc.
This is what I think too, and self discipline is one of the reasons why every book I read on unschooling left me. :/ But thats JMO.

And come on, most of the quotes in my signature these days are very unschooly of her.

Mommy to: Ds (9.5), Dd (7), Ds2 (6), and Ds3 (4.5).

illinoismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:22 PM   #22
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Leslie, I'm coming back to this because I hope I didn't offend you and want to further clarify.
Jen, I'm an INTJ: it's pretty difficult to offend me. But I am a stickler for accuracy, and if my definition of unschooling is incorrect, of course, I'd want to fix that on the website.

Quote:
I'm not a believer in a pure radical unschooling model because I do feel that children need some sort of established structure, something that helps them bend to a direction they would not naturally travel without guidance.
I know what you mean - that's why I could never be a pure radical unschooler. I'm too undisciplined. Yet there are aspects of it that I still use.

Quote:
Maybe a better term for what I do is "eclectic" if it has to be labeled.
I think the label is probably the problem. Most people seem to be an eclectic combination of two different approaches. That can present a problem when trying to explain to someone the differences between CM and other approaches - there's so much overlap in the way people actually homeschool in their own home. One of AO's goals is to sort out the differences in pure definitions, more for the sake of clarification than to tell people how they should homeschool.

Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:30 PM   #23
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Thanks for understanding, Leslie.

I was so profoundly impressed by the amblesideonline work my friends were doing, it stuck with me and is something I've been looking forward to using to some degree with my sons.

I also am adamant that if I, as a child, would have been allowed to go at the rapid pace I wanted for the stuff I was interested in (reading, spelling, music, handwriting, etc) and go as slow as I needed for the hard stuff (math, science), I would have been a much better learner and would have understood more.

Jen D.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

The Following User Says Thank You to Firebird Rising For This Useful Post:
Zooey (07-30-2011)
Old 01-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #24
Codi
Rose Garden

Codi has disabled reputation

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoismommy
I did want to note though that I think the list of attainments is for an older 6, so near to 7. Is that right? Sooo... we aren't worried about it yet.
Yes, I believe so also, but again, giving the benefit of the doubt, I am incorporating them into our daily life as well.

At this point, we are memorizing simple songs/poems like, "Run, run, as fast as you can, you can't catch me, I'm the gingerbread man." or the patty-cake patty-cake song that Cameron sings with Elijah, changing the verses each time he sings it, trying to make someone in the house laugh. We're setting the bricks for recitation and memorization.

Cameron has learned which side of the house the sun will set and where the moon can be found. He often will comment on the "pretty" sunsets and squeals at the sight of the moon when we're out and about. He gets his left and right most of the time, but seems to have regressed in the last few months, not sure if he's playing with us or if it's the 3 yr old thing.

We have been working on some wildflowers/garden flowers. Poppies, marigolds, roses and irises are among the plants he recognizes and can name out loud.

This summer, we talked about woodpeckers and then looked in DH's ID book to see what kind lived around here. When the woodpecker is up in the trees pecking, Cameron often will mention it and look for it in the tree.

At this age, I don't expect that I will get an answer when I ask questions about this stuff. It depends on his mood. I find that if I don't mention it and he sees something he knows a bit about, he'll bring it up. I wouldn't expect more of him than what I listed above and even that is inconsistent knowledge.

Funny enough, the last two days, I've really come to respect the idea of stretching a child upward, spiritually, emotionally, and knowledgeably without expecting consistency from them at the higher level. Believing that they "get it", giving them the benefit of the doubt, encourages me to think that their level of absorption is higher than we all might expect.

Oh boy, I'm talking a lot tonight. I'm going to keep my mouth quiet now. Hopefully I won't be having to put my foot in it.

Jen D.
Alyx also loves the moon and MUST show everyone when he see's it! As well as the sunsets... "Look at the beautiful clouds Mama!!!!!" (When they are orange and purple)

We also teach him simple songs/poems like you described. But his memory is so good, he memorizes things after hearing them once...so he knows many things by memory.

Also, we just moved and this place has a larger window box for plants. I plan to find some things for us to plant and take care of in there as well!

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
Codi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:27 PM   #25
mom2boys
Rose Garden

mom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond repute

I use a lot of Ambleside Online's stuff, as well as Simply Charlotte Mason.
I'm suprised to hear some thought she was punitive, becuase I've heard her speak and I've been through her blog a zillion times and nothing's ever sent up my red flags! She usually very gentle, esp. with her autistic child.
I also use Heart of Dakota for my youngers, which is charlotte mason based.
Ben (14) Greyson (11) Gabe (8)
INFP and DYT 3/2
mom2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:43 PM   #26
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

illinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2boys
I use a lot of Ambleside Online's stuff, as well as Simply Charlotte Mason.
I'm suprised to hear some thought she was punitive, becuase I've heard her speak and I've been through her blog a zillion times and nothing's ever sent up my red flags! She usually very gentle, esp. with her autistic child.
I also use Heart of Dakota for my youngers, which is charlotte mason based.
http://simplych arlottemason.com/2008/11/05/natural-consequences/

"....Second, it takes a long time to force down a glass of lemonade mixed with milk."

The rest of that post will explain but this is what I will say. If my child mixed lemonade with milk and tried it because I said that would be okay, so be it. What is the point in making them finish it?

Ewwwwwwww

Mommy to: Ds (9.5), Dd (7), Ds2 (6), and Ds3 (4.5).

Last edited by illinoismommy; 11-06-2009 at 11:01 AM.
illinoismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:18 AM   #27
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Amblesideonline is free? Wow, I really like what I have read so far. I am thinking of using this more as a mixed method with some Montessori type things too.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:27 AM   #28
Codi
Rose Garden

Codi has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeasmommy
Amblesideonline is free? Wow, I really like what I have read so far. I am thinking of using this more as a mixed method with some Montessori type things too.
Hard to navigate though. But worth it.

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
Codi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:45 AM   #29
celestial princess
Rose Garden

...sometimes I can't see it for the trees

celestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by APMamaCodi
Quote:

what do you find difficult about it?
celestial princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:27 AM   #30
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestial princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by APMamaCodi
Quote:

what do you find difficult about it?
I've also found it very informative yet difficult to navigate. I'm still finding answers to my questions when I thought I already looked at that page. That my simply be a result of the amount of information they provide.

What I find somewhat difficult and it may just be how my mind processes and an aesthetic things is a Book list should be a list with bullets etc. The spacing is tight and for the amount of infor spreading out the spacing and changing up the text a bit would help break up the awesomely helpful info. Again that may just be more or it could just be that I'm not used to finding info on there just yet.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote