Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-07-2006, 06:34 PM   #31
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Probiotics info

well not exactly but the acidophilus fills the holes in the lining of your gut...if they aren't filled..that is where bugs/sickness enters the pictures. If your gut is in great health you are less likely to get sick.

As for ear infections...garlic oil or mullien oil in the ear is great for healing EI's. Also eating and taking things that help keep the rest of you health prevents your body from contracting the bug that give you ear infections...

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 07:37 PM   #32
joyfulmomof2
Rose Trellis

joyfulmomof2 will become famous soon enough

Ok, that helps. You said that you don't use them on a daily basis, I believe. Or maybe that was Kym. My problem is that during the week if I am working outside of the home and ds has to be in daycare, would it help us avoid getting sick as often as we otherwise would do you think?

Homeschooling my two sweet kiddos:

Dino - 10 & Princess - 7
joyfulmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 12:06 AM   #33
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

use probiotics? I try to take them daily. I don't think you can OD on them...but as stated above somewhere...there is some that say you can have too much...I think it would certianly help along with vit c.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
Old 01-23-2006, 09:15 AM   #34
momaich
Rose Bouquet

momaich is a jewel in the roughmomaich is a jewel in the roughmomaich is a jewel in the rough

Hi, thanks for the info about probiotics. My chiro has been telling me to use them with my boys who have allergies. I have discussed them with a local supplements salesperson, but not purchased any because I'm still a bit confused and my kids are already using several supplements plus their asthma meds and my dh is worried they will become "pill dependent." I did not check out everything you posted yet. I was wondering if you listed any info about ingesting more quantities of food with these organisms v. ingesting a supplement. I have recently started using MISO but haven't always had much lick (LOL typo) incorporating it into my usual recipes. I try to serve yogurt often as well.

When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek. Psalm 27:8
momaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:43 PM   #35
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

the biggest thing I can think of is that you can't consume enough yogurt or kefir and get the same about of bacteria as you can in a pill. Now that doesn't mean that the food isn't a good thing. It also depends upon which yogurt you buy....

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

Old 01-23-2006, 05:34 PM   #36
momaich
Rose Bouquet

momaich is a jewel in the roughmomaich is a jewel in the roughmomaich is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobluegirl
the biggest thing I can think of is that you can't consume enough yogurt or kefir and get the same about of bacteria as you can in a pill. Now that doesn't mean that the food isn't a good thing. It also depends upon which yogurt you buy....

Thanks! I noticed somewhere in this thread that the treatment of the supplement changed its usefulness. Does that apply to cooking as well? Like if you use your yogurt/kefir/miso in a cooked dish, would that kill or change the useful organisms?

When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek. Psalm 27:8
momaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:16 PM   #37
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

I have no idea..but I would think so....most things lose properties when cooked....

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

Old 02-03-2006, 03:45 PM   #38
tnaallen
Rose Garden

tnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant future

This thread has been inspiring. I've seen a few of you mention Garden of Life products. Has anyone actually read The Makers Diet? We love it, it makes complete sene (to us) and we were following it pretty good for a while. But have slipped back to old ways since me getting pg (the 1st trimester is a killer for any eat habit..lol), and moving. But now that we are settled and dd is sick I'm much mroe motivated. We never purchased anything outside the regualr vitamins, but we were very interested in adding probiotics, green food supplements, and esential oils as the book talks about to our daily habits. I'll have to pick my book up again and read it.

As for ear infections and any infections, cows milk (any dairy) is an enemy since it thickens secretions and can make things worse. Whenever any of us gets sick we cut off dairy. Same with refined sugars and most carbs. I was giving dd only goats milk yogurt, but she had some of my cows milk yogurt one day and won't go back. lol, i can't blame her. But we do only give he goats milk for drinking if she wants milk, or to mix in her foods. We gave her goats milk products since day one of introducing any other type of milk besides breastmilk. I was usually buyng goat cheese as well, but they are usually soft and that's tough to pack verses shoving a cheese stick into my purse. lol

Well, again, thanks for the boost ladies! i'm very excited now to return to our Makers Diet. (For those wondering, it's not a diet like eat onyl ths amount and such and suhc, to lose weight. It's about being healthy off GOd's plan for how we are to eat, and if you want to do it to lose weight,t hen it will just happen if you are eating healthy (and exercsing).)

Amy
'Kambria 1/14/04
Baby #2 7/20/06
tnaallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 04:17 PM   #39
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

You can do a search in this board and you may find a few Maker's Diet threads..hehe...There are a few of us that have read it...and even some who have done it. I just finished Ruben's new book..is a good read too.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

Old 03-18-2006, 07:51 PM   #40
mamamachanteuse

My 12 mo old just started her first round of antibiotics a few days ago. She is still bfing and I have some Jarro-dophilus pills in the fridge(about a yr old). Could I take them and expect her to benefit or could I break open the capsule on her tongue or with a sip of water. She is fighting me every step of trying to get the antibiotic in her(not that I blame her it's bubblegum flavor YUCK). But I don't relish the thought of trying to get something else in her that she might hate. What about just plain yogurt? Is acidophillus enough? I really want to avoid a yeast problem if I can at all! Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:54 PM   #41
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

you just place the powder on your nipple and she should just nurse it off...or place it on your finger and have her suck it off. Most of them have no or mild flavor. I don't think she would enough from you taking it.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

Old 04-06-2006, 07:29 AM   #42
Cindy

Thank you so much for the helpful information, Rachel. Did you type all that in??

I have been looking at the Garden of Life probiotic for my daughter who is exhibiting many ADHD symptoms. I was wondering how this product fits in to the criteria in your excerpts. You did type that products that contain multiple strains are not the best because one strain can become dominant. The GoL probiotic has 13 strains, and I think there is an "Ultra" with 21. Which one are you using? Do you think this is better worse, or the same as purchasing the four species seperately and using them as prescribed in those excerpts? Also, how would you adjust these doses for children? My seven year old probably needs a therapeutic dose to begin with then a maintainance dose. We are also initiating a sugar free diet beginning May 1st. Should I introduce thr probiotics as soon as I begin the diet or should I wait a little bit?

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2006, 04:33 PM   #43
Cindy

I also noticed the GoL probiotics are not refrigerated. Your article warns against that
Old 04-07-2006, 10:26 PM   #44
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

GoL probotics are a different kind of probiotics. They are good. I don't give them to my kids because they are a hard horse pill type..I get the kind that are in gel caps or a chewable. Jarrow-dophilus is a good brand.

ps. no I didn't type all that...I copied and pasted..hehe

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

Old 04-08-2006, 08:35 PM   #45
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

Here is some info I got off a thread on mdc...

Quote:
Probiotics, antibiotics, yeast and eczema.

Quote:
The gut flora of healthy individuals is very stable (Sears et al., 1950,19-%); this stability may in part be due to interbacterial inhibition (Sprunt and Redman, 1968). Alteration in the level of normal flora by antibiotics has long been known to allow secondary infection by pathogenic bacteria and yeasts (Keefer, 1951; Seelig, 1966).

Occasional publications describe abnormal fecal flora in patients with atopic eczema. Kuvaeva et al. (1984) studied 60 infants in Moscow with IgE mediated food allergy and eczema. They reported a decrease in anaerobic bacteria and lactic acid-producing aerobes and an increase of Enterobacteriaceae. Severity of eczema was directly proportional to severity of dysbiosis. No control data are given. Ionescu et al. (1986) studied fecal flora in children and adults with atopic eczema. Compared with healthy controls, there was a marked reduction in Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium and Enteroccoccus species in the great majority of cases. This was associated with increased concentrations of Candida species, Proteus, Klebsiella, and Staphylococcus allreus, and appearance of atypical coliforms and Clostridium innocutan.. The high frequency of hypoalbumenernia, indicanuria and steatorrhea in the eczema group suggested small bowel bacterial overgrowth with secondary malabsorption. In neither of these studies is it possible to determine whether abnormal bowel flora caused allergy or whether food-allergic disease destabilized gut flora.

http://mdheal.org/microbes.htm
Quote:
It's his gut dysbiosis that is related to the sleeping problems.

I've done a lot of reading about the gut-brain connection... the gut produces the neurotrasmitters, makes perfect sense. Yeast and bacteria produce alcohol like toxins and volatile fatty acids. Ever drink too much and have very interrupted sleep?

If foods are not being broken down properly, the peptides can create opiate like compounds (gluten and dairy peptides are well studied in the ASD community) which effect behavior, like kids get high off them and them have a crash.

Personally I experienced it too ... horrible insomnia, buzzing anxiety, couldn't fall asleep/shut my brain off. Woke during night and stayed awake. All related to digestion... to fermentable foods such as grains, potatoes, corn, sugar that I wasn't digesting properly and they were feeding the bad gut bugs. I understand the issue with my DS only too well. Sadly, I was able to heal myself but DS is still being a tough nut to crack.

Right now we are awaiting stool tests from Great Smokies with a holistic Ped that will probably px herbs. And doing homeopathy. In addition to diet, the SCD, that worked with me but not with him.
Quote:
The 2 best books I've found on the gut brain issues relating to food and digestion are:

"Breaking the Vicious Cycle"
www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info

"Enzymes for Autism" or "Enzymes for Digestive Health" (they are both the same)
www.enzymestuff.com
Quote:
The Gut-Brain Connection
Recent studies show that functional GI symptoms are not necessarily the result of dysfunction in the bowel, but may be due to disturbances in brain-gut pathways.
By Harvard Health Reports

http://www.bhg.com/bhg/story.jhtml?s...catref=bcat143

Quote:
Emotions
It's no secret. Emotions often find their outlet in the gut. Nerves, stresses, emotional upsets, mental problems, and other psychological factors can wreak havoc with the GI tract. That's because the brain and the gastrointestinal system are intimately connected.

The entire journey of food through the 30-foot-long digestive tract is quarterbacked by a remarkable communication network known as the enteric nervous system (ENS). This intricate nerve complex is located in the gut wall and communicates with the brain via the spinal cord. In turn, hormones, neurotransmitters, and connections to the central nervous system that affect muscle, mucosa, and blood vessels in the digestive tract influence the ENS.

The ENS communicates with the brain, first via the sympathetic nerves that pass to and from the gut through transformers called sympathetic ganglia. These nerves connect to the spinal cord and then to the base of the brain. In addition, parasympathetic nerves link to the base of the brain via the vagus nerve from the upper gut or the sacral nerves from the colon. The gut and brain use neurotransmitters to send electrochemical messages to one another by way of these nerves. Scientists say that this complex, sophisticated "gut-brain" system is nearly the equal of the body's central nervous system.

Recent imaging studies of the brain show that functional GI symptoms are not necessarily the result of dysfunction in the bowel, but may be due to disturbances in brain-gut pathways that alter pain thresholds, control movement through and contractions of the GI tract, and influence behavior. [Jane note: except that what is or is not produced in a malfunctioning bowel produces the raw materials for the brain.]

We know that the brain has a direct effect on the stomach if only because the thought of eating can set off the stomach's appetite juices even before food gets there. But the action goes both ways. A troubled intestine can send signals to the brain just as a troubled brain can send signals to the gut. A patient's distressed gut might, therefore, be as much the cause as the product of depression.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1