Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Beverages *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 04-23-2020, 04:26 AM   #1
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute
Default This whipped coffee fad

Anyone else tried it? Thoughts?

It’s 2 TBS each of instant coffee, boiling water, and sugar. Whip it for ten minutes (I used a handheld mixer). Serve on top of ice and milk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 05:09 AM   #2
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This whipped coffee fad

I have not, but I have seen someone with one on Facebook.
I drink my coffee with no cream and no sugar now (yay me!) and have successfully reduced my sugar consumption in general by quite a lot recently so not something I will be willing to try.
I did show it to dh as he does lot of coffee concoctions in the blender. I said I would make him some this summer and he is interested.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 05:31 AM   #3
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

I've tried it with regular instant coffee and instant espresso, both with sugar and sugar-free (xylitol and stevia), plain and with a splash of vanilla.

It's only as good as the quality of your instant.

That said, it's got a wonderful texture. My older girls want to experiment with it this weekend. We're going to try cooking regular (good) coffee down to a syrup and whipping that up for better flavor. I typically drink coffee black and unsweetened, but I get a yen every so often for a fancy drink, so it sounds like a fun experiment.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
Llee (04-23-2020), Soliloquy (04-23-2020), twoplustwo (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 06:42 AM   #4
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

We've been making it. Definitely better with instant espresso if you can find it. Dd18 has been playing with making it fancy by adding caramel sauce and chocolate sauce drizzled into the glass.

I've added the whipped concoction to my Crio Bru.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Tickle Momster For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 07:07 AM   #5
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Instant espresso is usually better, if you can find a good brand. I usually have instant espresso in my pantry; I use it for baking. My grocery store a few months had replaced my favorite brand (Medaglia D'oro) with another (Delallo) which is just not as good. Cafe Bustelo is okay. I'd love to use King Arthur, but they process everything packed in jars on the same equipment - nuts, eggs, milk, etc. - which we just can't do.

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (04-23-2020), twoplustwo (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 07:09 AM   #6
Virginia
Rose Garden

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

I’ll see if I can find instant espresso!

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Old 04-23-2020, 07:13 AM   #7
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

So, Virginia, what did you think of it?

Lemon is a nice touch if you make it with espresso. (In Italy, espresso is often served with a twist of lemon zest.) You could add lemon extract to the mix or serve it with fresh zest.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (04-23-2020), twoplustwo (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 07:41 AM   #8
Virginia
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
So, Virginia, what did you think of it?

Lemon is a nice touch if you make it with espresso. (In Italy, espresso is often served with a twist of lemon zest.) You could add lemon extract to the mix or serve it with fresh zest.

I thought it was yummy but not something I can spend ten minutes doing daily It was a nice treat!

And since I did decaf, I let DD1 try some and she said it was “delicious”

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
The Tickle Momster (04-23-2020), ViolaMum (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 10:41 AM   #9
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute

I have made a low carb version a few times. The first time I didn't have instant coffee, so I used some of our cold brew and added a bit of protein powder. It made more of a foam than a whip, but was delicious.

I have since acquired instant coffee and while it whips nicely, the taste is so awful. (Dh buys good beans from a local roaster so I'm spoiled) I haven't found instant espresso yet.

It is fun if you are looking for a coffee treat, though a little time consuming. I make a low carb iced coffee almost daily that I think I like better.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:53 AM   #10
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

An Enneagram 7 type 1/2 ENTP

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute

We've been making it, but with just 1TBS of each. 2 TBS of instant coffee is a LOT of caffeine! I actually prefer it more mixed into the milk... like a regular iced coffee I guess.
Missing three I will meet in Heaven (Feb 2012), (Apr 2016) & (Jun 2020)

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
MrsHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsHutch For This Useful Post:
The Tickle Momster (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 12:41 PM   #11
Virginia
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
I have made a low carb version a few times. The first time I didn't have instant coffee, so I used some of our cold brew and added a bit of protein powder. It made more of a foam than a whip, but was delicious.

I have since acquired instant coffee and while it whips nicely, the taste is so awful. (Dh buys good beans from a local roaster so I'm spoiled) I haven't found instant espresso yet.

It is fun if you are looking for a coffee treat, though a little time consuming. I make a low carb iced coffee almost daily that I think I like better.

Oh that sounds delicious!!

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Old 04-23-2020, 01:27 PM   #12
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHutch View Post
We've been making it, but with just 1TBS of each. 2 TBS of instant coffee is a LOT of caffeine! I actually prefer it more mixed into the milk... like a regular iced coffee I guess.
It is a lot of sugar too!

We've played with the ratios and cold vs hot milk, stirring it in. I think my dd must have two dozen photos on her phone of her dalgona artwork.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 01:28 PM   #13
Vicki_T
Rose Garden

Vicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond repute

Yum! I’ve not tried it, or even heard of it before, but it looks really good! I do have some fairly nice instant coffee so I’ll see if I can give it a go.

Last edited by Vicki_T; 04-23-2020 at 01:32 PM.
Vicki_T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vicki_T For This Useful Post:
Virginia (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 01:32 PM   #14
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

No thank you. I cannot drink coffee with any kind of sweetener. They look so pretty and luxurious, though. I'm enjoying seeing them in my Instagram feed.

But we did buy a burr grinder and a Technivorm coffee maker (both ordered from small businesses) as our family splurge with our stimulus check. It's amazing. Huge difference!

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

Putting Admin Hat On

This thread was moved from The Cookbook to Beverages.
Both are public.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 01:41 PM   #15
MaybeGracie
Moderator in A Twinkle in Our Eyes, Cradled in Our Wombs, Gentle Discipline, Nurturing Our Children, and Let's Talk

MaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond repute

I've made it a few times and enjoyed it both hot and cold. It's fun to have something different to try, and it really does look pretty when it's assembled.

Ezer Kenegdo to Isaac since 2007
Raising Jacob (16), Luke (14), Lily (11), Elizabeth (9), Clara (6), and Emily (3) in the knowledge and love of God

Blogging at The Hippie Housewife about attachment parenting, natural living, life as a Jesus-follower, and more, all tied together through our journey towards a more intentional life.
MaybeGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaybeGracie For This Useful Post:
The Tickle Momster (04-23-2020), Vicki_T (04-23-2020)