Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 02-16-2024, 01:50 PM   #1
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pantry/Stocked Items Challenge

For more than a month I have been trying to use what's in my pantry and only buy non-perishables that I need. I'm now down to a variety of random items and things that I bought with good intentions.

I won't list all the randomness at once, but this coming week I will try to use canned Fava beans and seasonings that I bought to make falafel.

Something else I need to use is a small jar of Cranberry Cherry Citrus sauce. I am open to suggestions for what I do with that. Would it work for making a glaze for a ham?

You are welcome to join me or simply follow along as I reach the odd and forgotten cans and jars at the back of my shelves. If I'm feeling adventurous I might even start digging to the bottom of my chest freezer.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (02-21-2024), mummy2boys (02-16-2024), Quiteria (02-18-2024), Singingmom (02-17-2024), twoplustwo (02-20-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 02:49 PM   #2
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pantry/Stocked Items Challenge

Oh goodness, I need to do this. Not ready yet. But I'll cheer you along.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 05:50 PM   #3
RiverRock

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post
Oh goodness, I need to do this. Not ready yet. But I'll cheer you along.
It could be a humorous ride! I have no idea of what I had in mind when I bought palm hearts, but they will probably end up on a salad.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
charla (02-17-2024), milkmommy (02-27-2024), Quiteria (02-18-2024), Singingmom (02-17-2024), twoplustwo (02-20-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 09:11 PM   #4
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in. I started doing this last week after realising how much was actually in the pantry and we are having a lean few weeks with work. So far I've only needed to buy things like milk, bread and some fruit. It's amazing what you can do when you need to!
Waiting to meet 3 in heaven 2/2005, 5/2007 & 8/2011
Striving, with God's help, to be a gentle mother each day
mummy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mummy2boys For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (02-18-2024), Singingmom (02-17-2024), twoplustwo (02-20-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 11:22 PM   #5
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

Funny, I was just lamenting this before I came here. It's kind of an annual January tradition for me, and I put it off this year...but we decided it really needs to be done.

This week is just the beginning, so the ingredients are still pretty normal. Today was pulled pork sandwiches, salad, and baked potatoes with cheddar and rosemary. Yesterday was the same pork on potatoes.

Tomorrow, I think my goal is to make pasta to use an open jar of pasta sauce, and try to use a can of beans.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (02-20-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 12:36 PM   #6
RiverRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummy2boys View Post
I'm in...It's amazing what you can do when you need to!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiteria View Post
It's kind of an annual January tradition for me, and I put it off this year...but we decided it really needs to be done.
Hooray for company!

I have some potatoes (not a family favourite so a bag of potatoes lasts a long time around here) and a can of baked beans. I just looked up a recipe for Jacket Potatoes and will make them some time soon, too.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (02-28-2024), twoplustwo (02-20-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 06:26 AM   #7
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Since my meal plan kick, Ive been doing this too! One time from the pantry and one from the freezer.

My pantry is actually pretty good.

I have half a thing PF frozen shrimp leftover so plan to serve that with stir fry this week.

My pantry item was parm crusted fish to use up some of the bin of bread crumbs (bonus used up some leftover parm cheese too tho I can always find places to stick that!)
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (02-22-2024), RiverRock (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 11:22 AM   #8
RiverRock

So how safe is it to use tofu that is two weeks past its due date? I just found a packet at the back of a fridge drawer. It looks fine, and is still factory sealed. It's a "best before" and not an "expiration" date.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:15 PM   #9
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, I know there are food safety lists somewhere with that info about how long things tend to last opened/not opened compared to best by dates. I've googled them before. Big long lists of a variety of food. Sometimes they're produced by food banks, or cooperative extensions.

Having experienced food poisoning, though, I tend to err on the side of caution more than necessary. I know that things are okay for a while, but I usually just stare at it in reluctance until it's late enough to justify tossing.

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
RiverRock (02-25-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 05:17 AM   #10
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I SO need to do this. My pantry is full! Maybe posting here will motivate me.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
RiverRock (02-25-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 10:08 AM   #11
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

I’m doing a version of this this week but it’s more freezer clean out/rotation.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (02-28-2024), RiverRock (02-25-2024)
Old 02-25-2024, 02:45 PM   #12
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

I need to do this with the freezer and the pantry.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
RiverRock (02-25-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 07:33 AM   #13
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

I used some Vegan sausage patties in my egg bites for the week. So thats another package down!
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (02-28-2024), RiverRock (03-02-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 07:04 PM   #14
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRock View Post
It could be a humorous ride! I have no idea of what I had in mind when I bought palm hearts, but they will probably end up on a salad.

HA during covid I stocked up on so many weird things. It was a combo of dumb panic buying and the reality of well this shelf is only selling cans of barbecue flavored refried beans better buy five cans its protein....
After a while though I can to the conclusion that I wasn't go to use all the random stuff and its was way better to stock up on things I'd actually use.. I ended up donating a bunch of stuff. All perfectly good things but stuff that just sit in our house for years. We also have pretty limit place to store so I only want what I'll actually use.
I tend to plan one meal a week as my "pantry" staple meal. They often double as my dump and go meals as its often just opening a few cans and pressing a few buttons.

Last weeks pantry staple was a "mexican cassarole"
1 can pinto pean
1 can black bean
1 can corn
1 can enchalada sauce
1 pack taco seasoning
corn tortillas

basically mix the drained rinsed cans with the taco seasoning layer a dish with the tortillias 1/2 the mix more tortillas , mixture etc... I'll add cheese if we have some but its good with out. Bake 350 20-30 minutes... We topped with shredded lettuce black olives and sliced avacado.

This week we are doing corn chowder Canned cream of corn canned regular corn can new potatoes water or broth and onion (salt pepper and paprika) Doing a peach crumble for dessert (canned peached and basic pantry staples)
Quiteria (02-28-2024), RiverRock (03-02-2024), twoplustwo (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 07:49 PM   #15
Quiteria
Rose Garden

This week is mostly spaghetti and meatballs, though we had another potato night with different meat from the freezer.

I still haven't used the beans. I think I might allow myself to buy some tortillas as a completer ingredient and make a Mexican dish out of it while I still have a dollop of sour cream left from the baked potatoes.

It's that or combine them with some frozen veggies and some broth to make a soup. Maybe a minestrone, because I think I've got some small pasta, too. Some tiny odd shape that was on clearance once in packages that are too small for my family, but the per ounce cost was awesome. So yeah, this would be a way to stretch them.

I might have enough beans to do both.

RiverRock (03-02-2024)