Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
TuneMyHeart
Rose Garden

Here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it. Seal it for Thy courts above.

TuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pearl's "plant your tree in the midst of the garden"

I read the first chapter of TTUAC today and I'm really hoping he's taking this verse out of context:

Quote:
When God wanted to "train" his first two children not to touch, He did not place the forbidden object out of their reach. Instead, He placed the "tree of knowledge of good and evil" in the "midst of the garden (Gen. 3:3)."
I wish I hadn't read this.
TuneMyHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
JessicaTX
Rose Garden

JessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pearl's "plant your tree in the midst of the garden"

Well, it didn't work out too well did it? If you take that view it seems like you'd have the view that God set us up to fail. I don't think that was the point of the tree in the garden.
JessicaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JessicaTX For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
BriansLovie
Rose Garden

Striving to be a gentle mama and enjoying my littles.

BriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond repute

I so despise how he thinks that we must put temptation in front of our children to train them. It seriously makes me ill.

Mama to J - 11, J - 9, & A - 5
&
Two angels
9/2007 & 1/2008
BriansLovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
TuneMyHeart
Rose Garden

Here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it. Seal it for Thy courts above.

TuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond repute

why did he put the tree in the garden? I definitely don't think He sets us up to fail, and I would never do that to my children.
TuneMyHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
Chris3jam

That's my question, as well. *Why* put the tree in the middle of the Garden? Why not put it were they couldn't get at it?
Old 01-30-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
tigerlily
Rose Garden

tigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond repute

‎"Don't they teach recreational maths anymore?"
~The Doctor
tigerlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
Buela

So, with this reasoning, are we supposed to hire a hooker to try to seduce our teenage sons, just to see if they can withstand the temptation? Seriously?
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
CapeTownMommy (02-01-2010), curlymopmom (01-30-2010), DoulaClara (01-30-2010), ECingMama (02-04-2010), relizabeth (02-18-2010), Serendipity (01-30-2010), SortaCrunchy (01-30-2010), tiffany (01-30-2010)
Old 01-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #8
Autumn
Deactivated

Autumn has a reputation beyond reputeAutumn has a reputation beyond reputeAutumn has a reputation beyond reputeAutumn has a reputation beyond reputeAutumn has a reputation beyond reputeAutumn has a reputation beyond reputeAutumn has a reputation beyond reputeAutumn has a reputation beyond reputeAutumn has a reputation beyond reputeAutumn has a reputation beyond reputeAutumn has a reputation beyond repute

If obedience were our only option it wouldn't be obedience. He wanted us to choose to love him and obey him.

If I made a robot that I programmed to wake me up every morning with a warm cup of coffee and tell me how much it loves me, how wonderful I am and how beautiful I look today, it doesn't matter - it's a robot. It was programmed to do that and it's doing that because that's all it can do - it isn't genuine. It doesn't really love me because it's not choosing to love me, it doesn't have any other options.

God gave Adam and Eve only one thing that they couldn't do. If he hadn't given them the opportunity to potentially disobey, it wouldn't matter how much they obeyed - it wouldn't have been genuine.

I love the people I love because I have made a decision to love them. If I didn't have a choice, it wouldn't be real love.

THAT BEING SAID: The Pearls are taking this whole thing way out of context. That's extreme and not fitting with the inconceivable love God has for his children. He doesn't want us to fail - He wants us to really love Him.

Last edited by Autumn; 02-11-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Autumn For This Useful Post:
brandi (02-04-2010), CapeTownMommy (02-21-2010), curlymopmom (01-30-2010), DaltonsMomma (01-30-2010), duckwithoneleg (02-20-2010), Eowyn (01-30-2010), erinee (01-30-2010), JellyBean (02-04-2010), Lantern Light Mama (01-30-2010), Maggie (02-18-2010), mommasgirl (01-31-2010), mountainash (01-30-2010), mwwr (02-20-2010), Quiteria (02-04-2010), relizabeth (02-18-2010), TenderLovingWillow (02-03-2010), tiffany (01-30-2010), Vicki_T (02-21-2010)
Old 01-30-2010, 07:59 PM   #9
tiffany
Rose Trellis

tiffany has much to be proud oftiffany has much to be proud oftiffany has much to be proud oftiffany has much to be proud oftiffany has much to be proud oftiffany has much to be proud oftiffany has much to be proud oftiffany has much to be proud oftiffany has much to be proud oftiffany has much to be proud oftiffany has much to be proud of

This is probably not going to be a popular opinion here, so I'm prepared for Please hear me out on this and don't hit me just yet. I don't think God put the tree there to temp us, but I do think there are things that are within our reach that he does not remove from our grasp that he teaches us to stay away from. For example, in the NT he says that gentiles are to abstain from blood. Blood is still in people, in animals, in our food, etc. He didn't do away with blood, just because we are not to mess with it. He just gives us the instruction to stay away from it. In the Torah, the command is given to abstain from unclean meat, but those animals are not wiped off the globe, we just have to stay away from them in our diet (if we are TO). He tells us not to look at another with lust, but He doesn't blind us. He tells us not to be sexually immoral, but He doesn't render us unable to do so - not by removing our physical abilities, our emotional abilities, or by removing the opposite sex from our interactions. All those things are still within our grasp, we are just instructed and taught not to go there.

I don't think it's healthy to remove any obstacle from out child's grasp and let them run 'willy nilly' - it's just not what God does with us. However, I don't agree with the idea that He put it there to tempt us either. There is a difference between doing something to tempt someone and teaching them not to get involved with something that is plainly there and that we have to learn to work around. Like dressing modestly. We are to be modest in our dress so as not to tempt other men, but we don't have to cut our breasts off so they don't show, ya know? There is balance. We have to be careful about working with the opposite sex. We need to keep things professional and not be one-on-one with a person of the opposite sex if we can help it, certainly not setting ourselves up for temptation, but women don't go work in environments where only other women work and vice versa. We just learn to navigate around it within godly limits. I think that's the hard part of parenting - finding the boundaries and teaching them to our children, so they will learn to apply boundaries to their own lives.

I have a friend who doesn't want to teach her children boundaries at all and there have been very uncomfortable situations with her children on many occasions. There has to be balance.

Self-control - that's part of the fruit of the spirit, and it has to be developed.
Mama to Mr J since Dec 05, Miss E since Dec 07, and Baby H since Oct 10, and Baby M since 12/30/11
With my whole heart I have sought You; Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments! ~Psalm 119:10
tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tiffany For This Useful Post:
Autumn (01-30-2010), Joyful Mommy (02-03-2010), mommasgirl (01-31-2010), Pragmatist (02-04-2010)
Old 02-03-2010, 07:03 PM   #10
saturnfire16
Rose Garden

saturnfire16 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffany View Post
This is probably not going to be a popular opinion here, so I'm prepared for Please hear me out on this and don't hit me just yet. I don't think God put the tree there to temp us, but I do think there are things that are within our reach that he does not remove from our grasp that he teaches us to stay away from. For example, in the NT he says that gentiles are to abstain from blood. Blood is still in people, in animals, in our food, etc. He didn't do away with blood, just because we are not to mess with it. He just gives us the instruction to stay away from it. In the Torah, the command is given to abstain from unclean meat, but those animals are not wiped off the globe, we just have to stay away from them in our diet (if we are TO). He tells us not to look at another with lust, but He doesn't blind us. He tells us not to be sexually immoral, but He doesn't render us unable to do so - not by removing our physical abilities, our emotional abilities, or by removing the opposite sex from our interactions. All those things are still within our grasp, we are just instructed and taught not to go there.

I don't think it's healthy to remove any obstacle from out child's grasp and let them run 'willy nilly' - it's just not what God does with us. However, I don't agree with the idea that He put it there to tempt us either. There is a difference between doing something to tempt someone and teaching them not to get involved with something that is plainly there and that we have to learn to work around. Like dressing modestly. We are to be modest in our dress so as not to tempt other men, but we don't have to cut our breasts off so they don't show, ya know? There is balance. We have to be careful about working with the opposite sex. We need to keep things professional and not be one-on-one with a person of the opposite sex if we can help it, certainly not setting ourselves up for temptation, but women don't go work in environments where only other women work and vice versa. We just learn to navigate around it within godly limits. I think that's the hard part of parenting - finding the boundaries and teaching them to our children, so they will learn to apply boundaries to their own lives.

I have a friend who doesn't want to teach her children boundaries at all and there have been very uncomfortable situations with her children on many occasions. There has to be balance.

Self-control - that's part of the fruit of the spirit, and it has to be developed.
To me, the big difference is that all the things you mentioned- unclean animals, blood, breasts, the opposite sex- ALL serve another purpose besides being an oppotunity to use the wrong way. They aren't *only* temptations. They have a purpose. The temptation is to use them in a way other than the way God designed them.

A trash can has a purpose and *also* MAY be a temptation for a child to get into. A trash can placed in the middle of the living room for the *sole purpose* of enticing a child to touch it and then hitting them is not the same thing.

Wife to D
Mama to:
E 12/05
L 7/08
Z 12/10
A 6/14
and J in heaven 2/10

Torah Keeping, Unschooling Family

My blog on unschooling and family life: Peace On Dark Nights.
saturnfire16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saturnfire16 For This Useful Post:
CapeTownMommy (02-21-2010), Quiteria (02-04-2010), SortaCrunchy (02-04-2010)
Old 02-04-2010, 08:50 AM   #11
tiffany
Rose Trellis

tiffany has much to be proud oftiffany has much to be proud oftiffany has much to be proud oftiffany has much to be proud oftiffany has much to be proud oftiffany has much to be proud oftiffany has much to be proud oftiffany has much to be proud oftiffany has much to be proud oftiffany has much to be proud oftiffany has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfire16 View Post
To me, the big difference is that all the things you mentioned- unclean animals, blood, breasts, the opposite sex- ALL serve another purpose besides being an oppotunity to use the wrong way. They aren't *only* temptations. They have a purpose. The temptation is to use them in a way other than the way God designed them.

A trash can has a purpose and *also* MAY be a temptation for a child to get into. A trash can placed in the middle of the living room for the *sole purpose* of enticing a child to touch it and then hitting them is not the same thing.
I agree with you!

I don't think God put it there to tempt them - I think it served another purpose. I don't know what, but I agree that He didn't just plant it, or as mentioned before allow it to be there, just for the sole purpose of temptation. I am NOT agreeing with the Pearl's on this - I think they are WAY off base and do twist scripture and have a sadistic view of God, themselves, and children. It's sad.

I'm just saying I don't think that we should remove every thing out of our children's path because God didn't remove everything from our path, even if it is tempting. I am not saying *put* something there for the sole purpose of tempting.

Mama to Mr J since Dec 05, Miss E since Dec 07, and Baby H since Oct 10, and Baby M since 12/30/11
With my whole heart I have sought You; Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments! ~Psalm 119:10
tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #12
mwwr
Deactivated

It is good to be Queen!

mwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond repute

bbl
mwwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:37 PM   #13
breezy
Rosebud

people i know love "i can has cheezeburger dot com"

breezy will become famous soon enough

oh dear...these people are crazy . due to all the media attention, i checked out their website in case somone i know is interested in their methods. i'm speechless .
breezy is offline   Reply With Quote