Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:52 PM   #1
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gas mileage?

What vehicle do you drive? What mileage do you get?

DH was saying how my van getting about 17 mpg city was crazy low. I just looked up 2007 Honda Oddssey. It said 17 city, 24 hway, 19 combined city and hwy.

I'll pay attention to exactly what it is next time I get gas. ETA: I got gas today and I filled up 17.something gallons and I had driven about 300 miles on that tank.

DH was fussing that we'd get rid of the van then. I was like, "you'd get rid of a paid for vehicle?".
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10

Last edited by kiloyd; 10-10-2016 at 07:19 PM.
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:01 PM   #2
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gas mileage?

I have a 2010 dodge caravan. It gets around 20 around town and a little over 23 on the highway. I drive around 500 miles a week. Before this I had a 2005 dodge caravan and it got around 19. Maybe 21 on long trips.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (10-10-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 07:17 PM   #3
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Just about all my miles are in town, I rarely go further than 5 miles from home. 90% of it is driving kids 4.5 miles to and from school every day.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
Old 10-10-2016, 07:19 PM   #4
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't drive much I would not dream of getting rid of a paid for car.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (10-11-2016), MercyInDisguise (10-10-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 07:26 PM   #5
kiloyd
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother of Sons View Post
If you don't drive much I would not dream of getting rid of a paid for car.
I know! I plan on having my van for another 6 yrs. My goal is 15 yrs or 200,000 miles.

I actually drive a lot (or at least it feels like it), but it's mostly back and forth to schools. I only put about 10,000 miles on my van a year.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
Old 10-10-2016, 07:29 PM   #6
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

23 mpg, 2014 Chrysler Town and Country

I drive 50 miles a day, plus weekend trips.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (10-11-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 07:29 PM   #7
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

I drive a Mazda MPV (2004) and get about 19-20 mpg.

Dh drives a Ford Focus (2006) and gets about 31. It only seats 5 people, so it wouldn't work for our family or yours, for that matter.

If you are driving 4 kids around, you're not going to get great fuel economy unless you drop a huge load of money on something (which kind-of defeats the purpose unless you are a very dedicated environmentalist who doesn't care about saving money and just wants to save the environment, which is commendable, but due to my budget isn't a reality for me).

I would ask your dh why it bothers him so much or ask him to research what other vehicles he thinks would be better. Then you or he can calculate payoff time (ie if you save $20 a month on gas but your car cost $10000 more, even if you pay cash for the car it will take 500 months to break even. Most people don't drive a car that long. If you are paying interest it would take longer. There are other factors like age and maintenance, too, but that will give you a basic idea, especially if you look at cars the same age as yours).

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Little Forest (10-10-2016), mommylove (10-11-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 08:26 PM   #8
MercyInDisguise
Rose Garden

The only way we'll last forever is broken together

MercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond repute

We have a 2006 Chrysler Town and Country. We get 15mpg city (this is atlanta though, with a TON of being stopped in traffic). Around 20mpg highway.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
Mama to
A 20 months
a little one who will only ever know heaven 8/1/13
MercyInDisguise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MercyInDisguise For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (10-11-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 09:03 PM   #9
mipennsn
Rose Garden

mipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond repute

Our 2010 T&C gets about 15 around town. I try not to freak out about how bad the gas mileage is. Dh drives it to pick the kids up from school 5 days a week (5 mile round trip), grocery store (2 miles round trip).

I typically do school drop off with my car on my way to work. My 2003 Sable is about 18 if I'm around town and recently has been about 23 with work miles (I'm driving a scary number of miles for work).
My GIRL H who is 7!

Full time mommy and breadwinner for my family

mipennsn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mipennsn For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 09:45 AM   #10
Saoirse
Rose Garden

Coming out into the Light!

Saoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond repute

Keep in mind that I only have one child left in the house to transport. DH bought me a 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage when we got married. Typically, I get around 38 mpg just tooling around town. Long trips, we generally get around 44ish.

I went up north to visit a friend and for the 90 minutes I was skirting DC, I was getting 52!!!!

I love, love, love that car.

It was much better than the 19ish I was getting in my old 2001 Odyssey.

"A victim lives in fear. A Survivor endures. A victim is weak and powerless, paying for what was not her doing.
A Survivor has grown strong because she knows the price is not hers to pay, the sin is not hers to atone." - unknown

Alis volat propriis

SingleFabulousMamas unite!
Saoirse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saoirse For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (10-11-2016), MercyInDisguise (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 09:47 AM   #11
kiloyd
Rose Garden

I don't know why dh thinks my gas mileage is so bad. He said my van counts as a car for mileage and therefore is illegal if it's getting less than 20 mph. He's wrong.

Why are men strange? We still have 18 mo paying on his truck. No way would I replace my dependable Odyssey right now.

I get gas 2-3 times a month at about $32 per tank. Not a big deal. $100 in gas a month at most.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
Old 10-11-2016, 11:38 AM   #12
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

I'm jealous. I get gas twice a week at $40 a tank.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (10-11-2016), The Tickle Momster (10-12-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 12:14 PM   #13
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

DH and I each get gas once or twice a month. Your mileage sounds similar to our 2010 Toyota Sienna.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 01:56 PM   #14
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

We just got a Ford transit connect a few months ago. Book gass milage is 19 in town and 28 on highway. I am averaging 27 right now, I do one highway trip a week but the rest is all around town.

I love it it sets 7. One of the reasons we got it was because of the gass milage to passengers was really good.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 04:30 PM   #15
Psyche
Rose Garden

Srsly?

Psyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond repute

Idk about our caravan but our Kia Soul averages 28-31 mpg.

working full time, wife to Jason since '02, mom to C 12 years old, J 9 years old , and T 6 years old , mouse catching, Izzy, and rabbit chasing, Ellie.
Psyche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Psyche For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (10-11-2016)