Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:50 PM   #1
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

I'm most definitely an INFJ. ;-)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute
Default I got to go inside a Mormon temple yesterday!!

They built an LDS temple in a town near me. DD and I drove past it every week this spring and watched it being built. It has got to be one of the most beautiful buildings ever!!! I always wanted to see inside one, but figured I never would since only Mormons are allowed inside. But I guess they do public tours before they are dedicated!!!

Ladies, it was so cool!!! It's beautiful and ornate, but that's just the beginning! In the instruction rooms, they are decorated with murals to represent the area where the temple was built (so aNew England forest/field/steam in this case. ) Then there was the baptismal room. There's a huge round rub in a recessed floor. The tub is supported on the backs of 12 (life sized?) marble oxen, representing the 12 tribes of Israel) It's gorgeous. (Temple baptisms are for baptism of deceased relatives only, other baptisms happen in regular meeting places.) I also loved this thing called the celestial room. In the case of this temple, it was a stately looking room with an enormous chandelier in the center. The room is intended to reflect the beauty of heaven. The room is a place of quiet reflection and prayer, which I thought was really neat. I wish there was such a thing in other churches.

Another thing that I thought was neat was the statue of the angel Mironi (sp?) on the temple steeple. It's planted in gold. Whenever they take it down to clean and repair, they replace it with one from another temple, then that one they took down gets repaired and goes to another temple, so they move around. I liked how that connects the temples from place to place.

I thought it was interesting to learn only Mormons in good standing over the age of 18/19 can go in the temple once it's dedicated (but children over 12 can enter the temple to be baptised on behalf of deceased ancestors or to be sealed in the case of convert families, only) Even for repairs and maintenance, the people either must be Mormon, or in the event of major repairs and reconstruction, the temple will actually be temporarily undedicated and then rededicated.

And since the temple is believed to be the most holy place of worship on earth, keeping it clean and beautiful is of high importance. Therefore we had to wear shoe covers over our shoes. Once it's been dedicated, the worshipers have special temple clothing and shoes they wear- pure white to represent (was it?) Purity and equally of men and woman before God. That part (the focus on the temples holiness) really drove home to me what the temple importance was in the old and new treatments.

Well, it was fascinating. I had a Mormon friend with me who answered my millions of questions. so I got substantially more information than the standard tour. She was pointing out so much I would have missed otherwise, and gave me tons more background. Told me about other temples she's been in. It was awesome. It did make me wish there was more ceremony and solemnity in my church tradition. I truly enjoy learning about other religions so it was a great experience for me. I wish DD was old enough that she would remember it!! I may or may not consider traveling to a temple open for public tours when she's older. ANYHOW,I highly recommend checking one out of you ever have the chance (and bring a chatty Mormon friend along)!!!

Last edited by WaitPatientlyOnTheLord; 10-20-2016 at 06:58 PM.
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to WaitPatientlyOnTheLord For This Useful Post:
deena (10-29-2016), ECingMama (10-20-2016), greengirl19 (10-22-2016), Llee (10-20-2016), RiverRock (10-23-2016), SalH (10-22-2016), sunflowermom (10-20-2016), Vicki_T (10-22-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 07:08 PM   #2
ReadingMommy
Rose Trellis

ReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I got to go inside a Mormon temple yesterday!!

I toured one in my area as a teenager. It sounds like they were very similar.
Creative, Thinking Boy (04/2008)
Spunky Little Lady (08/2010)
Snuggle-bug Sweetie (09/2014)

ReadingMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ReadingMommy For This Useful Post:
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (10-21-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 07:17 PM   #3
Little Forest
Rose Garden

Rich in girls.

Little Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond repute

It is like a secret society. I don't like how closed off and secretive it is. Transparency is a good thing. I know that when they have weddings not even non LDS relatives can attend. Thanks for sharing as that was interesting to read about and have never heard all of that before.

Sweet Pea-DD1, Jan 04, 1/4
Tiger Lily-DD2, Jan 06, 2/1
Buttercup-DD3, Feb 08, 2/4
Dandelion-DD4, Nov 10, 2/3
Honeysuckle-DD5 March 13, 2/4
And there is DH too, ISTJ, DYT 4/2, I think!
Little Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Little Forest For This Useful Post:
3PeasInAPod (10-20-2016), milkmommy (10-21-2016), Redeemed (10-21-2016), squiddles (10-22-2016), ViolaMum (10-21-2016), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (10-21-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 07:17 PM   #4
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

I had no idea. Thanks for sharing.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (10-21-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 08:09 PM   #5
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing. Some of you may know I am Mormon, too. I love the temple- it is very sacred and special to me, and I'm glad you got to go and that you liked it.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
RiverRock (10-23-2016), SalH (10-22-2016), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 03:04 PM   #6
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Forest View Post
It is like a secret society. I don't like how closed off and secretive it is. Transparency is a good thing. I know that when they have weddings not even non LDS relatives can attend. Thanks for sharing as that was interesting to read about and have never heard all of that before.

Non LDS folks can attend the regular ceremony, but not the marriage in the temple, which I understand is where the couple is united for eternity.

Though I am not LDS, I am fairly familiar with it because we had LDS missionaries trying to convert us for 18 months We are still good friends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:19 PM   #7
Little Forest
Rose Garden

Rich in girls.

Little Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post
Non LDS folks can attend the regular ceremony, but not the marriage in the temple, which I understand is where the couple is united for eternity.

Though I am not LDS, I am fairly familiar with it because we had LDS missionaries trying to convert us for 18 months We are still good friends

My sum total of knowlege on the topic is that someone I know who had converted and was marrying another LDS obviously had his parents turn up to the wedding and they could not get inside and just waited outside. Sounded like such a sad story. I guess they didn't get the memo about not being able to get in, but they wanted to support their son at his wedding and couldn't.

I really don't like that level of secrecy and exclusivity. Anyway, years later, that guy and his wife are no longer practicing LDS.

Sweet Pea-DD1, Jan 04, 1/4
Tiger Lily-DD2, Jan 06, 2/1
Buttercup-DD3, Feb 08, 2/4
Dandelion-DD4, Nov 10, 2/3
Honeysuckle-DD5 March 13, 2/4
And there is DH too, ISTJ, DYT 4/2, I think!
Little Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Forest For This Useful Post:
bananacake (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 06:15 AM   #8
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, a friend of mine went to a LDS wedding. She could only go to half. The marriage in the temple is so that that particular couple, even if they divorce later, are married for all eternity and will live in a celestial kingdom together. I could be wrong.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:28 AM   #9
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Little Forest, I am sorry it bothers you. Just like the ancient Jewish temple didn't allow all people in because of the sacred ordinances performed there, our temple also doesn't. The Church wants people who go in there to be prepared to make the sacred covenants that we make there. The Catholic Church has buildings set apart for nuns and monks and no one else, though no one gets married there.

I get that it's hard. If there are any more questions I can answer for you or anyone else, I am happy to.

Bananacake, if people divorce they can apply for a cancellation of temple sealing. My brother-in-law got one.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote