Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:51 PM   #16
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On Millennials

Another '83 here and I occasionally identify with articles on millennials,but mostly feel more comfortable with the Gen X descriptions.

My nine year old asked me the other day, "I was watching Garfield and he opened this little book and it told him what tv show to watch and what time it was in. Can you explain what that was about?"
I shared this story with a good friend,seven years older than me and she laughed hysterically. I shared this story with my 19 year old co worker this morning and she looked very confused. And I had to explain.
It's so weird to be in this time warp when we grew up with corded phones,VCRs,maybe a huge PC and a Nintendo. And by college,just about everything had changed.
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beth1231 For This Useful Post:
bananacake (10-21-2016), Maleldil's daughter (10-25-2016), mommychem (10-21-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 05:28 AM   #17
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

I always thought I was a young gen x. Really I'm an old millennial. It's interesting because my hubs is only 3 years older than me but he is solidly a gen x and there are things that he remembers from growing up that had no place at all in my childhood/adolescance.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:24 AM   #18
JoannaV
Rose Trellis

JoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond repute

DH is 1981 and I'm 1989, but I grew up without much technology. No TV. Our first computer was a hand-me-down, I think we got it in 1999 but it was Windows 3.1.

How many of you grew up with rotary dial telephones? I did, but apparently push-button phones were the norm by then actually.
I think some technology was adopted quicker by the US than the UK. I remember reading books in which teenagers had phones in their rooms and there was call waiting - that right there was some exotic American technology.

DH (ISFP) 07/09
DS1 01/12
DS2 06/14
DD1 01/16
JoannaV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoannaV For This Useful Post:
Katigre (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 10:31 AM   #19
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not that old but I remember the invention of voicemail (and the commercials promoting it) same for caller ID when it was separate from your phone and costs 5.99 a month. I grew up with a rotary phone with the coil cord and thought cordless phones were the best thing.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:59 PM   #20
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

I was born in 1980.
We never had cable TV and if the wind knocked out the antenae we didn't get any channels. We had a rotary phone in the basement for a long time. I never had any gaming systems growing up. But that was all in contrast to us having a CPU at home with Internet before I was out of elementary school and I had a phone line in my room with a cord phone because my mom worried I would lose a cordless "in that pig sty". I got my first cell my freshman year in college. By my softmore year I could text and email from my phone.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (10-23-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 04:23 PM   #21
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoannaV View Post
How many of you grew up with rotary dial telephones? I did, but apparently push-button phones were the norm by then actually.
I think some technology was adopted quicker by the US than the UK. I remember reading books in which teenagers had phones in their rooms and there was call waiting - that right there was some exotic American technology.

. We had a rotary phone! I remember getting our first microwave, answering machine (not voicemail), our fussy cassette player, etc. We didn't have a remote control for our tv until I was in high school.

I also remember when it was cheaper to sew your own clothes rather than buy them. And when most clothes were not made in Asia.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:42 PM   #22
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

Ha! Yep,I remember my dad shopping for my shoes and refusing to buy shoes made in China
We had a rotary phone when I was in Kindergarten and a record player until I was eight. The PC came when I was 16 and AOL's IMing is how I learned to type.
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:48 PM   #23
twentysixcats
Rose Garden

twentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond repute

I was born in 1982 and I identify more with Millennials than GenX, but the Oregon Trail generation fits me to a T. I had a different upbringing, being a missionary kid and missing out on a lot of stuff due to not being in the States and having somewhat strict parents.
DD2 (7/2012)
DD3 (9/2014)
twentysixcats is offline   Reply With Quote