Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:33 PM   #1
Laurlor
Rose Trellis

Laurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Favorite Picture Books

My kids are past the stage of picture books now, and I can't remember all of the favorites. My goddaughter is 1 1/2, and I've decided for the most part, I'm always going to give her books for Christmas/Birthdays to help build a great library. Could you help me make a list of favorite picture books? I REALLY love ones that have a great message because I'm putting a label in the front of each one with a personal message that relates to the book. Extra points for beautiful illustrations. Thank you!

These are the books I've given her so far:

YOU ARE SPECIAL by Max Lucado
MISS RUMPHIUS by Barbara Cooney
MY MAMA HAS A DANCING HEART by Libba Gray
ROXABOXEN by Alice McLerran/Barbara Cooney
THE GARDENER by Sarah Stewart
ISLAND BOY by Barbara Cooney
OX CART MAN by Donald Hall
THE RAFT by Jim LaMarche
LET’S GO HOME: THE WONDERFUL THINGS ABOUT A HOUSE by Cynthia Rylant
THIMBLEBERRY STORIES by Cynthia Rylant
DD1 (24), married to my dearly loved son-in-law
DD2 (22)
DS (19)

Last edited by Laurlor; 10-15-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Laurlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:50 PM   #2
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favorite Picture Books

Hoot Owl, Master of Disguise by Sean Taylor

Knufflebunny by Mo Willems

At Read Aloud Revival (Amongst Love Things), they've started posting a list of best picture books by month. (Look for the monthly list on the right.) October's list has lots of books centering around color-changing leaves and harvest.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
Laurlor (10-15-2016), Llee (10-17-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 01:22 PM   #3
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

The Napping House and Jamberry and my kids loved any of the Kenneth N Taylor books Big Thoughts for Little People etc. They loved finding the ladybugs in each pic - a trademark of his

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C

Last edited by mamacat; 10-15-2016 at 01:25 PM.
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
Laurlor (10-15-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 03:18 PM   #4
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

Anything from Phoebe Gilman, but if only buying one of her books, Something From Nothing is a good start.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
Laurlor (10-15-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 07:28 AM   #5
Little Forest
Rose Garden

Rich in girls.

Little Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond repute

Goodnight Moon
and the classic Golden Books

Sweet Pea-DD1, Jan 04, 1/4
Tiger Lily-DD2, Jan 06, 2/1
Buttercup-DD3, Feb 08, 2/4
Dandelion-DD4, Nov 10, 2/3
Honeysuckle-DD5 March 13, 2/4
And there is DH too, ISTJ, DYT 4/2, I think!
Little Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Forest For This Useful Post:
Laurlor (10-16-2016), mamacat (10-16-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 07:26 PM   #6
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have to come back with more picture book ideas (stories), but if they are Christians, this is a beautiful book. Ds loves it. He got it for his dedication when he was a baby.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/03...ARAFH6CPFAH0EM
Of course the Jesus Storybook Bible is a winner too! This one just has much simpler stories that are better for the toddler/preschool age.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:55 PM   #7
Laurlor
Rose Trellis

Laurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by esperanza View Post
I'll have to come back with more picture book ideas (stories), but if they are Christians, this is a beautiful book. Ds loves it. He got it for his dedication when he was a baby.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/03...ARAFH6CPFAH0EM
Of course the Jesus Storybook Bible is a winner too! This one just has much simpler stories that are better for the toddler/preschool age.
Oh yes! I did give her the Jesus Storybook Bible for her baptism. Forgot to add that! Thank you for this other recommendation too!
DD1 (24), married to my dearly loved son-in-law
DD2 (22)
DS (19)
Laurlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:57 PM   #8
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I think this one would be perfect. Ds was obsessed with the story of John baptizing Jesus. We read it many, many times. He'd tell me how "John dipped Jesus in the water." It was so cute coming from a 2 year old's mouth (words right from the text). That and David and Goliath. I think the book about fell open to those two stories. I thought we could read one story a day, but once we started reading it, he wanted the whole book! Beautiful pictures and stories.
The Following User Says Thank You to esperanza For This Useful Post:
Laurlor (10-17-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 09:36 AM   #9
rdsmommy
Rose Trellis

rdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Katy No Pocket
Angus Lost
Ask Mr. Bear
Corduroy
Curious George
Runaway Bunny
Caps for sale

Pretty much all the books in the Before Five in a Row curriculum.
The golden books collections.
rdsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rdsmommy For This Useful Post:
Laurlor (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 07:47 PM   #10
OnAMission
Rose Trellis

Formerly kdhfly

OnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond repute

we love all the ones mentioned so far as well as

blueberries for Sal by Robert mccluskey
Snowy day
The Following User Says Thank You to OnAMission For This Useful Post:
Laurlor (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 08:04 PM   #11
esperanza
Rose Garden

You can also look up award winning book lists- Newbery and Caldecott are good ones.
The Following User Says Thank You to esperanza For This Useful Post:
Laurlor (10-18-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 05:59 AM   #12
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

The Brambly Hedge collection is my new favorite thing that I can't believe I didn't grow up with.

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greengirl19 For This Useful Post:
Laurlor (10-19-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 03:09 PM   #13
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Every kid should own a copy of Make Way for Ducklings! Oh! and at least one pop-up book.

My kids really love the Richard Scary books as well as Peter Rabbit.

What about ABC books? Alphasaurs, Alphabeasties, and Bugs by the Numbers are gorgeous!
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
Laurlor (10-20-2016), rdsmommy (10-20-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 06:23 AM   #14
twentysixcats
Rose Garden

twentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond repute

Love Robert McClosky books! "Make Way for Duckings", "Blueberries for Sal"...

My 4yo is currently obsessed with "We're Going on a Bear Hunt" - we got it from the library but I think I'm going to get it for her for Christmas.

I found some excellent book suggestions from "Give Your Child the World". "Katja the Windmill Cat" pops into my head as one we loved. I'll have to look through my list again for others.

ETA: two other suggestions
- P is for Passport
- How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
DD2 (7/2012)
DD3 (9/2014)

Last edited by twentysixcats; 10-22-2016 at 06:32 AM.
twentysixcats is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twentysixcats For This Useful Post:
Laurlor (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 04:02 PM   #15
Maleldil's daughter
Rose Bouquet

Maleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud of

My ds' (and my) favorites include:
All the original Curious George
Harry the Dirty Dog
The Runaway Bunny
A Color of His Own
The Baby Beebee Bird
The Shy Little Kitten
The Little Red Caboose
The Saggy Baggy Elephant
The Happy Lion
Little Bear
The Ups and Downs of Simpson Snail
Frog and Toad (these last three are actually easy readers but I couldn't wait and read them to ds when he was 2 and he's loved them ever since)
And my favorite Christmas book is Little Benjamin and the First Christmas

Wifey to the Husby 9/6/2006
Mama to The Littlest Man in all the Land 5/31/2012
and The Littlest Girl in all the World 1/28/2016

Counseling is like cleaning out your fridge. Mostly it's rearranging things so they make more sense. Now and then you come across some really nasty thing that's been stuck in the back way too long.
Maleldil's daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maleldil's daughter For This Useful Post:
Laurlor (10-22-2016)