Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:22 PM   #16
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ugh! when they pick out tacky clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
I agree. I don't veto for tacky. My kids wear a lot of tacky clothes despite my preference against them... It's an expression of their taste, and I let them have that. I sure wore my share of tacky clothes as a kid.

I do absolutely veto for inappropriate or with words that I don't approve of.
This.. That outfit linked wouldn't even make me blink....
Ajani (08-14-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 10:33 AM   #17
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerberadaisy View Post
While I wouldn't buy that particular outfit, my mom would & I wouldn't say a thing as I don't find it "tacky".
My MIL bought a lot of stuff like that. I wouldn't buy it, but it didn't bother me either.

Though my dd rarely wore the outfit as it came & usually mix and match that stuff anyway & really wore it as a full put together outfit - but two halves of 2 different outfits like that - totally her for the little girl win!
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (08-14-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 11:13 AM   #18
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

The only rule I have aside from appropriateness is it has to match. The outfit is NOT my style.

What if the shirt goes with black leggings? And the pants go with a solid shirt? The outfit together

My son one day wabted it to be red day. Red pants, shirt, socks and shoes. .

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:31 AM   #19
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

When I was a kid, my grandmother brought me out to buy something for my birthday. I picked out a white jacket that looked like Michael Jackson's red jacket in the Thriller video I thought it was so cool!

My mother, who wouldn't buy me anything white (I was kind of a dirt-loving kid), was horrified! Oh, man, I loved that jacket!

And I kind of like the doggy outfit too

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (08-16-2015), AngelaVA (08-15-2015), milkmommy (08-14-2015), Virginia (08-14-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 12:44 PM   #20
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

I kind of like the dog outfit, too But of course, I'd like it better if it had a cat on it
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
bananacake (08-14-2015), GraceLikeRain (08-17-2015), milkmommy (08-14-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 12:59 PM   #21
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see how it's tacky. I wouldn't want my daughter to have it only because she probably would t wear the shirt or use the purse. But I love when she wears bright, exciting clothes! She lights up in outfits like that. The only kids clothes I would say no to (and have) are things that are adult (like heartbreaker and stud muffin and shirts that are designed for a woman with breasts but in little girl size) and those very southern homemade ruffle pants.

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marbles For This Useful Post:
GraceLikeRain (08-17-2015), rdsmommy (08-14-2015), rjy9343 (08-14-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 01:20 PM   #22
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think I can post a picture link here but... It is Margaret all dressed for school...
She has on... red leggings with gold hearts all over under a pink and white hello kitty print skirt with pink lacing around the edge one top she has a pink cotton long sleeve shirt with silver letters that says sparkle and shine with a glitter diamond picture on it.. and over that her school at the times required Tshirt... with Frozen sneakers on her feet and a princess crown complete with oversized rhinestone pink white and purple jewels on it.

She has it all planned how after school during her lunch club she would take off her "boring" school shirt so everyone would be SOOOO suprised with her super special sparkle shirt. Cause she WAS a super special sparkle girl and EVERYONE would be soo suprised!!! (insert 4 year old squealing here....)
and yes she totally went to school EXACTLY like that

And so yea that outfit linked not even a blink...
AngelaVA (08-15-2015), KarenBoo (08-16-2015), Virginia (08-14-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 01:42 PM   #23
SamRose
Rose Garden

I <3 these cuties!

SamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't say that outfit is "tacky", as it matches fine and isnt too loud, but I do think it's ugly and am glad nobody bought it for my DD. (I don't think those dogs are cute, and rarely like large animal graphics even if it was a cute puppy. Plus the frill is bleh)
I let my kids dress themselves, and sometimes it really shows. But that doesn't bother me cuz it's obvious 2 ppl that they did it & not me. The dog outfit I'd have no good reason to veto, so I'd just cringe and bear it, hoping ppl assumed it was a gift and not my purchase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseforjoy View Post
yeah, normally i roll with a bunch of things, i mean my 3 yo was at the park the other day wearing her 1yo brothers onsie (sticking out/un done cuz obviously it was too small) which was on backwards, and pants that were inside out and her shoes on the wrong feet. but you know she did her self so
That sounds awesome.
SamRose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SamRose For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (08-14-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 06:44 PM   #24
Dovenoir
Rose Garden

Dove - noir

Dovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond repute

Am I the only one shaking my head that that kind of houndstooth is back?
Old 08-14-2015, 07:08 PM   #25
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Has she been wanting to learn to paint with non-washable acrylic paint or go that all-you-can-eat spaghetti place? If so that might be just the outfit for such an activity if you catch my drift.

I don't like the dog outfit- yuck! And people treat kids differently depending on what they are wearing. I know I treat my kids better when they are clean, well-groomed, and wearing tasteful clothing. I know I shouldn't, but I'm human. So I try to keep my kids clean, well-groomed, and wearing tasteful clothing.

I have a bit of a different method for getting my kids' clothes. I just buy them myself, at yard sales, without my kids along. Then they only have stuff to pick from that I have already okayed. But if they get something as a gift, I will absolutely veto it if I can't stand it. I will tell them they can't keep it and I will get them something else as a substitute. My rule for kids' clothes is that they have to like it and I have to like it. So if I buy something at a yard sale that they don't like, they don't have to keep it. And if they somehow acquire some clothing that I don't like, then they don't get to keep it. I have always managed to make them feel pretty okay about it by offering an acceptable-to-them substitute, though.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (08-15-2015), MegMarch (08-14-2015)
Old 08-15-2015, 12:07 AM   #26
L-Boogie
Rose Trellis

L-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond repute

I would let her keep it but I probably wouldn't wash it very often
11/06 2/10 8/13
L-Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:32 AM   #27
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember nearly crying when I was pregnant with Ivy because I was looking a little girl clothes and was appalled at how tacky they were. I really hoped she would be a boy because boys get nicer clothes. I still won't buy anything that has slogans on it since most if not all of them are not really the attitude I want to encourage. But that's just my house rule.
I would let her wear it wherever she wanted to wear it and be thankful she will outgrow it. If she really loves the outfit (and as ugly as it is, I imagine it is now her favorite), I would help her take care of it so that it will look as nice as possible for her as long as possible.
I think the biggest reason for my take on this is my parents were really worried about how I reflected on them and I didn't really feel like the person mattered nearly as much as the image mattered. To me clothing isn't really a big deal because it get's torn, stained, outgrown and tastes change. Unless it is something really bad like a gang symbol, you aren't going to regret letting her wear it on your death bed. You will remember it, but are you really going to care in ten years what she wore. In my house, if we get her to wear clothes we are calling it a win.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
Johns_Gal (08-15-2015), MegMarch (08-15-2015)
Old 08-16-2015, 07:39 AM   #28
Elibellamiah
Rose Trellis

Elibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond repute

It could have been this one
http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-208...r=Blue%20Panda

I'm not seeing much from Kohl's that I like for little girls right now. I got a lot of stuff for my daughter from Schoola for this fall/winter.

ETA: Sorry I just realized that was pajamas, I thought it was an outfit.
Elibellamiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:35 AM   #29
blessedwithboys
Rose Garden

blessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond repute

it matches. It wouldn't be something I'd steer my daughter toward, but I'd let her wear it and wouldn't say a word about it. Wearing weird/tacky clothes is kind of a hallmark of childhood. I don't see many adults wearing these outfits so most people do seem to mature past it . I don't see the tulle as "sexual" either? I think tulle is a little dress-up box looking and doesn't hold up well, so I don't buy it much, but it's more dance inspired than lingerie inspired.
blessedwithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to blessedwithboys For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (08-17-2015), GraceLikeRain (08-17-2015), milkmommy (08-17-2015), rjy9343 (08-17-2015), twoplustwo (08-17-2015)
The Following User Says they are praying for blessedwithboys:
Sparrow (08-17-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 10:08 AM   #30
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post
I don't see many adults wearing these outfits so most people do seem to mature past it .
My 9 year old wouldn't wear it any more than I would.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
bananacake (08-18-2015), rjy9343 (08-17-2015)