Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Attachment and Natural Parenting

Old 03-05-2017, 04:20 PM   #1
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default reintroducing gluten

We eliminated gluten from Margarets diet about two years ago. She was five and still not potty trained and often complained of stomach pains (warm tummies( skin rashes and was pretty underweight.. A TG-IgA test was a "weak" positive.. SO it was suggested more tests would be needed but at the time we also felt it unnecessary to go though the whole biopsy etc...
Well blah blah fast forward 2 years we have decided for medical reasons we need to know.. It also means introducing gluten back in...
We gave her her first exposure on Thursday and she has had one gluten something every day since from two salteen crackers day one to a slice of sprouted 7 grain bread today.. So far she hasn't had any complaints at all..
Last night however she did wet her bed which could just be a freak thing or the fact she had a fudge stripped cookie yesterday which had milk .. She also admitted she didn't quite make it to the bathroom one time and had a "little accident" because of it. She changed and cleaned up before I could see what that exactly meant. The loose bowls were always her biggest gluten reaction. I asked if she had any stomach pains though and she said no.
Neither I or her doctors have any doubt to her gluten sensitivity but the idea of her NOT being full celiac is VERY appealing not having to overly stress over any level of cross contamination sounds like heaven.. Is the fact she isn't having huge obvious immediate gluten reactions a good sign?
Or am I celebrating too soon?
Old 03-05-2017, 06:42 PM   #2
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: reintroducing gluten

I wouldn't celebrate just yet. Hug I am glad she is not having really bad reactions. Praying you get clear answers.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (03-06-2017), milkmommy (03-05-2017), tempus vernum (03-05-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 08:46 PM   #3
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure. I know after my DD1 was off gluten for a few years she quit reacting to it. Her response was tummy stuff too, which did not come back when we reintroduced. We always hoped it would help her SPD and ADHD symptoms too but after 3 years we figured if it was going to help that it would have done so already and it didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AngelaVA For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (03-06-2017), milkmommy (03-05-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 03:45 AM   #4
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Are you reintroducing her in order to get more testing done?

It's probably a good sign that she has reacted minimally to some exposure. I know that my dd reacts very quickly to any gluten exposure.... We also have a strong history of celiac disease in my family and those with celiac also react strongly and immediately to exposure.

However, I also agree to not celebrate too early. Because everyone's reactions are different.

If you're reintroducing in order for testing, how long does she need to be on it until you can move forward with that?
Old 03-06-2017, 07:44 AM   #5
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
Are you reintroducing her in order to get more testing done?

It's probably a good sign that she has reacted minimally to some exposure. I know that my dd reacts very quickly to any gluten exposure.... We also have a strong history of celiac disease in my family and those with celiac also react strongly and immediately to exposure.

However, I also agree to not celebrate too early. Because everyone's reactions are different.

If you're reintroducing in order for testing, how long does she need to be on it until you can move forward with that?
Yes and 90 days. I know her reactions can take up to three days to really show. So far though nothing. I'm hopeful but cautious.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:31 AM   #6
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

A former neighbor f ours had cut out gluten and also an extended family member who was diagnosed with celiac and both were able to start eating it again in moderation. probiotics like acidophilus and bifidus help digest it better

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 11:44 AM   #7
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

I would be hesitant to celebrate. I hope it is a good result. I can understand wanting a definitive answer.

Last edited by WanderingJuniper; 03-06-2017 at 02:49 PM.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
bananacake (03-06-2017), HadassahSukkot (03-06-2017), knitlove (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 12:33 PM   #8
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingJuniper View Post
I would be hesitant to celebrathospitalized. I hope it is a good result. I can understand wanting a definitive answer.

I already knew she takes a bit to have a bad reaction however we were told if she did then of course we were to stop... her doctor is pretty careful thankfully.
WanderingJuniper (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 05:47 PM   #9
ServingGrace
Rose Blossom

ServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really nice

Could you try to only introduce fermented grains at this point? It is pretty easy to do sourdough bread, pancakes, biscuits etc. I know my daughter acts spazzy, to put it kindly, if she eats regular non fermented wheat. I get stomach issues and even joint pain if I eat non fermented wheat. Some suggested reading are Dr. Natasha Campbell's GAPS gut and psychology syndrome and Dr. Weston Price's Nutrition and Physical Degeneration.
ServingGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:35 PM   #10
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServingGrace View Post
Could you try to only introduce fermented grains at this point? It is pretty easy to do sourdough bread, pancakes, biscuits etc. I know my daughter acts spazzy, to put it kindly, if she eats regular non fermented wheat. I get stomach issues and even joint pain if I eat non fermented wheat. Some suggested reading are Dr. Natasha Campbell's GAPS gut and psychology syndrome and Dr. Weston Price's Nutrition and Physical Degeneration.
We could so far though she has been fine..
ECingMama (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 10:56 PM   #11
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Has it really been two years?!

Hope it is just a sensitivity and not Celiac!
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:15 AM   #12
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
Has it really been two years?!

Hope it is just a sensitivity and not Celiac!
She's been gluten free since July of 2015.. (minus some accidental exposures) It was here lack of still not being anywhere close to being potty trained and five that prompted the doctor to say lets try this.... With in just a week or so we started to see major improvements and about a month latter the huge frequent accidents stopped.
Honestly Ive wondered if she has more a sensitivity than full Celiac. She had accidental but obvious exposure before and it takes a bit before she reacts. She doesn't seem to be super sensitive to cross contamination as others. We have no family history that we know of. I've been tested (just blood) and nothing, Ive seen no difference in my own body going gluten free or reintroducing it. Margaret has always had a sensitive stomach. Not sure if anyone remembers me being concerned with her lack of bowel movements after birth for example.
Id still like to keep her overall gluten free we as a family are mostly GF and its because were mostly low carb whole foods type family. We buy little "GF subsitute" stuff which I mostly find junk anyways so staying this way wont be a huge deal. I buy her GF sandwich bread and we use a GF pasta and I keep a bag of GF chicken nuggets on hand as my JIC go to..thats honestly about it. Oh I keep a GF flour blend around a well which we use for baking but it takes me several months to go through a small bag.. and I buy GF oatmeal. I think that is about it...

SO far she has had
day 1: two salteen crackers from the salad bar at our grocery
day 2: 1/2 PBJ sandwich on Nature own sprouted 7 grain bread and about 1/4 cup near east rice pilaf
day 3: sandwich as above and two fudge striped cookies (which she had a dairy reaction to)
day 4 :- some chicken noodle soup (annies)
day 5: today multigrain crackers
Old 03-07-2017, 02:45 AM   #13
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

I think you're doing the right thing. If she's not reacting to what you've exposed her to so far I don't think there's any reason to expose her differently. I'd just continue until either she reacts and can't tolerate it or you get to the point you can do the testing.

It will be good to have those definitive answers.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
knitlove (03-07-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #14
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Well it took almost 10 days of exposure but life eventually caught up.. she started having trouble with loose bowels stomach pains and headaches. She now wants little to do with continuing obvious exposure.. I'm not sure how I want to proceed from here.
2sunshines (03-14-2017), ECingMama (03-13-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 02:10 AM   #15
2sunshines

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmommy View Post
Well it took almost 10 days of exposure but life eventually caught up.. she started having trouble with loose bowels stomach pains and headaches. She now wants little to do with continuing obvious exposure.. I'm not sure how I want to proceed from here.
That's rough.

I'd probably put a call in to the doctor and see what he says. Maybe they can test earlier than the 90 day mark? It seems if she is reacting to it now it may show up in tests??? But maybe not yet. I don't know.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
knitlove (03-14-2017)