Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 04-24-2010, 03:29 PM   #1
Charlie U
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Charlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Help me brainstorm

Technically, this isn't a behavior problem. Under the circumstances, Rebecca behaved wonderfully with one big safety problem that has been addressed.

Anyway, Rebecca had a dance competition today. It's only our third. Different groups run the competitions. Each is slightly different, but the main idea is the same. This one was run very poorly, IMO. (Because with all my experience, I know everything. ). The way they are usually run is the lower levels go early and the higher ones go later. That's not how our stage was set up. It was the exact opposite. So we got there at 8am, not really sure when Rebecca was going to dance. I also was hoping they would see how illogically the stage was set up and they would flip flop the line up.

I wasn't prepared to have Rebecca wait for three hours to do her first performance.

She did well, though. She watched the other girls dance and clapped at the right times. I'll make adjustments to what I bring so she has something to entertain her. But I noticed something today. She fidgets by picking after her hair and face. For a while, she was content to pound on my arm like a drum.

I need a few things I can bring with us that she can put in her hands. Books and handheld games are out. There's too much going on for those to hold her interest. I was thinking of a stress ball. Any other suggestions?

But it's hard living life on this memory-go-round. Always up, always down. Spinning 'round and 'round and 'round. All this could be just a dream so it seems I was never much good at goodbye.
Charlie U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help me brainstorm

silly putty entertains P for hours.

what about something like wikki sticks?

is she old enough to learn how to crochet?

klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:54 AM   #3
Tasmanian Saint
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Go Team Lioness!

Tasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond repute

One of those handheld puzzles with squares you slide around to make a picture?
A rubiks cube? Lego/Duplo? A doll with a few outfits to take off and put on?
Paper/colouring book and pencils/markers
A crocheted rug to twine her fingers through
threading beads/buttons

(I need to write this list down for myself - and put together a 'going out' bag with a few in it )
Myth Busting over at Dare to Disciple
"Believe in yourself. Trust your instincts. Unless your instincts are terrible." Vitruvius, The LEGO Movie.
Tasmanian Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:02 PM   #4
Charlie U
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Charlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond repute

I'm gathering ideas.

I can't have her use anything with markers or any type of coloring. She can't get her outfit dirty. If the white on her jumper gets dirty, it can't get clean. It's beautiful, but phooey on them for picking white for a bunch of little kids.

I want to keep pieces to a bare minumum. There are thousands of people there at any given moment. I want her to have something that won't get lost. She does have a knitting contraption. I think I'll help her master that. It would be a good thing for her to bring along.

I might bring a handheld game after all. That may work. She hasn't been interested in wikki sticks in the past, much to my dismay. I think they're cool.

But it's hard living life on this memory-go-round. Always up, always down. Spinning 'round and 'round and 'round. All this could be just a dream so it seems I was never much good at goodbye.
Charlie U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:31 AM   #5
scrappyknits
Climbing Rose

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. Psalm 139:13

scrappyknits has much to be proud ofscrappyknits has much to be proud ofscrappyknits has much to be proud ofscrappyknits has much to be proud ofscrappyknits has much to be proud ofscrappyknits has much to be proud ofscrappyknits has much to be proud ofscrappyknits has much to be proud ofscrappyknits has much to be proud of

my daughter has a knitting nobby (french knittter? there are several names for it). When she needs to sit quietly, it gives her hands something to do, which is ideal. Just a small ball of yarn and the nobby, they both fit in my purse.

She also has a weaving loom for potholders - it's a little bigger to bring, but again, keeps her hands busy, she makes something useful and lets her be creative.

Would something like that suit for your daughter? She could make gifts while sitting in the car, or waiting to dance!