Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:32 AM   #1
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute
Default What can I make with 1 lemon?

Ok, so I bought 2 lemons to go with our fish dinner and we only used 1.

What can I make with 1 lemon?

I can be any course, snack, meal, dessert.

I would like to be able to do it with supplies I have on hand (ie make it today) so maybe something dessert might be more likely. I was thinking lemon bars but probably need more than 1 lemon. I do not have lemon juice.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:02 AM   #2
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What can I make with 1 lemon?

Ooooh, I keep lemons in the house as they are so good to have around. I can make tea with one lemon. I can make salad dressing, either a lemon vinaigrette or add it to some other flavored dressing using it as the acidic ingredient. I make ranch dip with it (mayo, sour cream or yogurt (in a pinch), crushed garlic, salt and pepper to taste, fresh or dried herbs). I squeeze it over roasted or steamed veggies. Sometimes I put half a lemon in my bone broth or I stuff a chicken I’m roasting with it. I add some juice to blueberry bread or muffins. If you have a high powered blender, you only need one whole lemon for about four cups of lemonade. If you squeeze the juice out of it, you can use the peel and flesh to freshen your garbage disposal or put some salt on it to scrub a pot with stuck on food.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mommychem For This Useful Post:
Allison (02-02-2019), Katigre (02-01-2019), OnAMission (02-01-2019), Quiteria (02-11-2019), Singingmom (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 07:31 AM   #3
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

tea - I drink a lot of tea all day long, but only like lemon in my cold tea.

salad dressing, either a lemon vinaigrette - I do have olive oil, vinegar
ranch dip I also have plain greek yogurt and crushed garlic, salt and pepper and ranch type dried herbs
I squeeze it over roasted or steamed veggies. I love that but the rest of the family prefers without lemon. I actually put lemon on my roasted asparagus yesterday. Thinking something more for everyone.

half a lemon in my bone broth or I stuff a chicken I’m roasting with it. I dont do bone broth and don't roast whole chickens since dd is a vegetarian and we eat low meat. It takes a lot for us to go through a whole chicken.

blueberry bread or muffins. I dont have blueberries but may have bananas in the freezer.

If you have a high powered blender, you only need one whole lemon for about four cups of lemonade. I do have a blender but dont know if its high powered or not but its too cold for lemonade! lol!

you can use the peel and flesh to freshen your garbage disposal yes I always do that and did it with the one we used yesterday with the fish.

Ok, so there IS a ranch dip I make with greek yogurt so I could try to add lemon with it. Also dh loves homemade vinaigrette so I could try that as well. Or maybe both.

Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
Old 02-01-2019, 03:58 PM   #4
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute

What did you ultimately make?
Old 02-01-2019, 06:09 PM   #5
twoplustwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommychem View Post
What did you ultimately make?

Haha. Nothing. Yet.

We went sledding this am and then our new dog had her vet appt. And then we ate dinner, then played a board game. Now going to watch a TV Show and then bed. Tomorrow.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
mommychem (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 11:25 PM   #6
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Fresh lemon juice is delicious on top of just about anything.

Lemon bars require a lot of lemon juice. I buy the big bottle at Costco if we're going to make lemon bars.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 09:03 AM   #7
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Lemon rice is good. Something like this: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/lemon-rice/
twoplustwo (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 01:12 PM   #8
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

I was also going to suggest lemon rice. My 11 yo ds fries rice with a little oil, lemon juice, and a little sage. It is so good. He calls it restaurant rice.

You can make your own salad dressing.

Cut it up and put slices in any kind of drink- water, juice, soda, etc. It makes a meal feel really special (especially good with kids for a wow factor).

Any kind of blueberry muffin or cake or a pound cake- really it would be good in any baked good (substitute the lemon juice for liquid).

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Little Forest (02-09-2019), twoplustwo (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 05:03 PM   #9
twoplustwo

busy day today (funeral, ds basketball, dd soccer) - I should use it tomorrow or Monday. I do like the idea of lemon rice too!
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Old 02-09-2019, 11:23 AM   #10
twoplustwo

I ended up making the lemon dip (greek yogurt). I really wanted to do the lemon rice but again . .. time. . .it was super good tho. And now I have a bunch of new lemon things I want to try.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (02-09-2019), mommychem (02-09-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 08:32 PM   #11
Little Forest
Rose Garden

Rich in girls.

Little Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond repute

Reading the title my first thought was a gin and tonic is the obvious answer.

We have a lemon tree and I just love it. Yesterday DH sent out a DD to pick one to make us gin and tonics. This is the life.

Sweet Pea-DD1, Jan 04, 1/4
Tiger Lily-DD2, Jan 06, 2/1
Buttercup-DD3, Feb 08, 2/4
Dandelion-DD4, Nov 10, 2/3
Honeysuckle-DD5 March 13, 2/4
And there is DH too, ISTJ, DYT 4/2, I think!
Little Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Forest For This Useful Post:
knitlove (02-10-2019), twoplustwo (02-10-2019)