Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
marigold
Rose Trellis

marigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud of
Default Women Living Well Ministries

Does anyone know about this. I found it today. The Jan. 1 entry is a gentleness challenge and talks about how our yelling affects our kids, it seemed good but I don't want to spend time following something an then have it turn out punitive still. I've limited computer time and I want to make it worth while. Here's a link:
http://womenlivingwell.org/2012/01/introducing-the-gentleness-challenge/
Thanks
ds1 - June 2009
ds2 - April 2011
ds3 - October 2013
dd2 - November 2015
Image already added

Last edited by CelticJourney; 01-24-2012 at 11:24 AM. Reason: to inactivate the link per rule #19
marigold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marigold For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (01-03-2012)
Old 01-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
dulce de leche
Climbing Rose

dulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Women Living Well Monistries

I was wondering the same thing.

13 years with Mi Amado
Dd ~ 1/04
Ds ~ 1/06
Dd ~ 6/08
Dd ~ 7/10
dulce de leche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
JessicaTX
Rose Garden

JessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond repute

Well, a quick scan of that website makes me think they are James Dobson followers and very patriarchal. But that's the first time I've seen it.
JessicaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JessicaTX For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (01-04-2012), marigold (01-04-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
Persinette
Rose Blossom

Persinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold View Post
Does anyone know about this. I found it today. The Jan. 1 entry is a gentleness challenge and talks about how our yelling affects our kids, it seemed good but I don't want to spend time following something an then have it turn out punitive still. I've limited computer time and I want to make it worth while. Here's a link:
http://womenlivingwell.org/2012/01/introducing-the-gentleness-challenge/
Thanks
I'm familiar with this blog, she is very punitive, and does spank.
(Link broken--hope I did it right!)
http://womenlivingwell DOT org/2010/11/vlog-how-to-give-your-child-effective/

Last edited by Hermana Linda; 01-05-2012 at 10:01 PM. Reason: to inactivate the link per rule #19
Persinette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Persinette For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (01-06-2012), marigold (01-08-2012), Taedareth (01-25-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

This mom is speaking at the Sally Clarkson conference this year. I have read her blog from time to time over the past year. I want to point out that she is just a person, and the women living well site is just her blog, where she shares what she is currently doing in her home and what is on her heart then. The link in the post above was over a year ago. Think of how much we can change as moms in a year. Think of moms here that started posting a year ago with a 10 month old saying "my 10 month old never obeys me...she is so defiant! I tell her not to climb up the oven door and take her away and she just goes right back to it again! Then, she looks back at me to see if I am watching before she goes and does it again! if I don't punish her, how will she learn? " Oh, yeah, that post was by me on GCM what was actually years ago (three boards ago?) , but seems like yesterday. I hope that no one here would see that post and say "That RLM, she has such a punitive mindset! "

I think that if you want to committ to gentleness and listen to discussion videos on Sally's book, then that sounds great. You should be able to listen and take what you want and leave the rest. I know that Ministry of Motherhood does not have punitive stuff in it.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
Joyanne (01-06-2012), Lady Grey (01-23-2012), marigold (01-08-2012), SortaCrunchy (01-25-2012), Taedareth (01-25-2012), Tasmanian Saint (01-06-2012)
Old 01-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
nikki k
Seedling Rose

nikki k is on a distinguished road

They are very punitive. I've looked in to them and liked what I saw at first untill I started reading more.
nikki k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

My prayer is that a desire to be a gentler, more patient mother will arise in all mothers everywhere. It is such a worthy goal. I loved what she closed her post with:

Quote:
Touch them gently, use their names gently, use your words gently, slow down and be loving, kind, and gracious.
Those specific things are things our children long for, and things that make our homes better places.
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to katiekind For This Useful Post:
marigold (01-20-2012), RealLifeMama (01-20-2012)
Old 01-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
MaybeGracie
Moderator in A Twinkle in Our Eyes, Cradled in Our Wombs, Gentle Discipline, Nurturing Our Children, and Let's Talk

MaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond repute

Their gentleness challenge sounds very positive, but I've checked them out several times in the past and there is always a patriarchal and punitive slant to things. My friend who adores them is highly highly punitive; there's no contradiction in her mind because her punitive actions are done out of love and rooted in the Bible, so being gentle is good but doesn't negate expecting immediate obedience and relying heavily on spanking as a tool to gain that obedience.

Ezer Kenegdo to Isaac since 2007
Raising Jacob (16), Luke (14), Lily (11), Elizabeth (9), Clara (6), and Emily (3) in the knowledge and love of God

Blogging at The Hippie Housewife about attachment parenting, natural living, life as a Jesus-follower, and more, all tied together through our journey towards a more intentional life.
MaybeGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MaybeGracie For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (01-21-2012), marigold (01-24-2012), Soliloquy (01-28-2012), Taedareth (01-25-2012)
Old 01-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

I understand. I'm just seeing hopeful signs of growth.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
MaybeGracie
Moderator in A Twinkle in Our Eyes, Cradled in Our Wombs, Gentle Discipline, Nurturing Our Children, and Let's Talk

MaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, sorry Kathy, I was responding to the OP, not to what you said. I agree with you that it's a very positive and hopeful sign.

Ezer Kenegdo to Isaac since 2007
Raising Jacob (16), Luke (14), Lily (11), Elizabeth (9), Clara (6), and Emily (3) in the knowledge and love of God

Blogging at The Hippie Housewife about attachment parenting, natural living, life as a Jesus-follower, and more, all tied together through our journey towards a more intentional life.
MaybeGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
HealthymamaHappymama
Rosebud

HealthymamaHappymama will become famous soon enough

I first starting following her blog when she had the "make your home a haven" challenge. I enjoyed that and feel I've gotten some helpful marriage advice but never felt comfortable taking her parenting advice as she seem like she must spank etc. However I wonder if she is starting to make a journey towards gentle parenting. I think it was on the gentle parenting challenge but she talked about if you are having any issues or are angry with something your spouse did make sure you deal with it so you don't take it out on your kids....I realized from that thought that I've been letting issues with my parents go(by not knowing how to deal with them. They we're very punitive and abusive) and i'm prob taking it out on my hubby. I"m a new member here and this is my first post, even though I've been reading for quite awhile. I'm so happy that I've found this site
HealthymamaHappymama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HealthymamaHappymama For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (01-24-2012), dulce de leche (01-21-2012), Elspeth (01-25-2012), jujubnme (01-25-2012), marigold (01-24-2012)
Old 01-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #12
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

Very happy to have you here!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to katiekind For This Useful Post:
HealthymamaHappymama (01-21-2012), Tasmanian Saint (01-21-2012)
Old 01-23-2012, 12:00 AM   #13
mommy_of_many

I really like the idea of this blog! And I have to agree with previous commenters that maybe she is having a change on mindset? I was very into obedience when my husband and I first got married and almost four years later I am in a totally different spot. I hated the mother I was turning into and my children still disobeyed me. I have learned you get more bees with honey than with vinegar for sure.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #14
HealthymamaHappymama
Rosebud

HealthymamaHappymama will become famous soon enough

Todays post she is talking about Michelle Dugger in her gentleness series. What do you ladies think? I do enjoy watching that show to see how they do it. Myself growing up in a family that people thought was great on the outside or at least people thought my parents we're great "your parents are so nice! what are you talking about" I wonder if they are truly that gentle and easygoing. I hope so! I think I tend to not know who you can trust these days.
HealthymamaHappymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #15
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute

She spoke last year at Sally Clarkson's conference also. I read her blog from time to time. She definitely has a WOS perspective, though I wouldn't say she is all out patriarchal. I would also guess that she has slowly moved her parenting in a more gentle direction. She does not appear to be in the "if you aren't spanking you are sinning" camp. (I could be wrong on that, but I've never really looked into it)

The first time I visited her blog was a few years ago through a curriculum blog hop. She posted about the virtual academy her children were enrolled in and oh my. Most of the commenters were so concerned and upset! The horrors! It was slightly comical. She did firmly defend her choice.

I have only read a little bit of the series but I am happy to see it there. It may plant some seeds for some mothers towards GBD and maybe even finding GCM.