Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* > Cloth Diapering & EC *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Cloth Diapering & EC *Public* A public forum.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:44 AM   #1
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Earthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flats and Handwashing anyone?

This week is the 8th Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge, started by Kim at Dirty Diaper Laundry and currently hosted by Cloth Diaper Revival.

I was wondering if anyone else has joined in this year? And if so maybe we could chat as we work through it?

If not then I'll just monologue and hopefully this thread will be a resource for the future
Earthmummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Earthmummy07 For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (05-23-2018), Soliloquy (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 04:02 AM   #2
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flats and Handwashing anyone?

I don't have anyone in diapers anymore but I will enjoy listening in on your monologue.

I exclusively used flats for my girls and hand washed them a few times on trips.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (05-23-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 12:22 PM   #3
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I also am done with diapers but I loved flats. I don't think I ever hand washed but I did line dry them more than I put them in the dryer. Somewhere I have a picture of my cloth diapers fluttering in the breeze.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2018, 07:51 PM   #4
JoannaV
Rose Trellis

JoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond repute

My youngest decided to move to underwear the other week. So really what I should be doing at some point is passing all my flats on to someone else. So all I have is a small pail of night-time prefolds, which is growing way too slowly because they don't even get wet every night, but NO they will 100% end up in the washing machine. (And 100% on the line to dry.)

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

And yes, I had to comment despite not hand washing because I am sad (in some ways) to say goodbye to flats. The end of an era!

DH (ISFP) 07/09
DS1 01/12
DS2 06/14
DD1 01/16
JoannaV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoannaV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2018, 02:35 PM   #5
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Earthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond repute

Im not sure how well known the challenge is, so I'll go back over the prompts from the last few days, if tiny people will let me.

Day1- Why?
The flats and handwashing challenge is in response to the increase in hygiene poverty/diaper need. 1 in 3 families in the US and a similar number in the UK struggle to afford nappies/diapers for their baby. This challenge started when Kim of the Dirty Diaper Laundry blog read about families having to keep babies in their nappies far longer than recommended, or even trying to dry them out on radiators to reuse, because they simply can't afford enough of them. Kim figured that cloth was a solution that would help a lot of these families, but the start up costs of modern cloth can be prohibitive for a low income family, and not having a washer and dryer can be a complicating factor. So Kim decided to see if it was possible to diaper her baby with just simple flats and covers, and to only hand wash and hang dry, before she starts recommending it to people. This year hundreds of families are taking part to 1) raise awareness of diaper poverty, 2) raise awareness of cloth as a potential viable alternative and 3) create a varied resource of information for families who take this option. Families on all forms of social media use the hashtags #flatschallenge and #bringingflatsback

I decided to join in because I love a challenge, because if we had to pay out for disposables every week I don't know how we would manage, and because I think knowing how to improvise a nappy in an emergency, and how to hand wash, are important skills that every parent should learn.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Earthmummy07 For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (05-17-2018), ECingMama (05-17-2018), everybody's mother (05-23-2018), knitlove (05-17-2018), Quiteria (05-24-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 06:46 PM   #6
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

What a neat challenge! I loved flats in our cd'ing days. <3 Never handwashed tho! But truly it would give you a insight in to the lives of many women across the globe.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2018, 09:44 PM   #7
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

I was planning to bring some flats I got from a GCM on our trip. And planned to handwash them. Great idea for a challenge!
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2018, 07:03 AM   #8
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Day 2s prompt was to talk about our stash and how much it cost. As always my supplies have kind of evolved through the challenge so here is the list of what I started with:
* 12 Terry squares (standard UK flats, approx 23.5") They're an eclectic mix of brands I've squirrelled away through my mothering years, but the latest additions are Dudu n Girlie brand from Amazon. 12 of that brand new would be = £11.79
* 4 PUL covers for T which are unnamed Cheapies from Kingdom of Fluff and retail at £3.95 each + £2.80 shipping. S outgrew the leg snaps on these at a modest 25ish lb (he has very chunky legs ❤) so if I was buying over again, knowing what I know now, I would have got 5 Alva onesize covers direct from their website at £2.76 each Plus about 76p shipping.
* 2 blueberry Capri size 2 covers for S at nighttime @ £15.95 each = £31.90
* Nappy pins - mine were actually a gift as part of a sewing set but Amazon sells them for around £1.80 for 10 =£1.80
*Wipes- my washable wipes were made from an IKEA Nackten bath sheet, and just cut into squares and the edges folded and zigzag stitched. I got 60 of them for £2.25, which is a smidge excessive and you'd probably get all you needed from a Lejaren bath towel at 1.50.
I just use water on my wipes so no extra cost there =£2.25
* For out and about I am allowing myself a medium wetbag, that fits up to 6 nappies, from Amazon for =£1.50
* 2x no-sew wool covers from a charity shop jumper that cost £2.50
* IKEA cheapie fleece blanket =£1.70 this was enough to make fleece liners and would have also made atleast 2 fleece covers if I had been so inclined.
* Plunger that I bought last year, but if I was doing this for real would have had to purchase =99p

From around the house I am also using
* A small bucket with a lid that I bought a while back for soaking BLW casualties.
* A flexi tub that usually operates as a washing basket.
* A wipes box that used to hold disposable wipes
* A Chinese take away box that now holds cloth wipes on the go
* An IKEA octopus drying thingamabob
*3 of hubby's work shirts that had gone into holes have been repurposed as flats/boosters

TOTAL = £71.23

You could get that even cheaper by buying preloved. Preloved terries go for about 50p each + postage and PayPal fees so £6+£3+1 round figures you aren't actually saving that much, thinking it through.

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

My stash as it is on day 5

12 terries £11.79
3 IKEA muslin burp cloths I already own FREE
3 t-shirt flats FREE I started using the t-shirts as actual flats and switched over to using wash cloths as boosters when I realised that 12 flats wasn't going to be enough
4 Cheapie covers for T = 18.60. if I was purchasing over again though I'd get Alva covers direct from the website at £2.76 each then 76p shipping, so £11.80 in total
We gave the pins a good go but DH just couldn't get on with them and with an insanely active baby there were too many near misses, so I pulled out a snappi, which are £5.49 for a pack of 3 on Amazon.
I traded out S's covers for 2 pockets from his usual bedtime stash because they are much more economical at £4.13 each without inserts (which is fine since I did with flats anyway) =8.26. or you could get plain colours for 3.47. the extra 50 ish pence is worth it for the prints IMO since you are more likely to stick with it if using nappies you love, but obviously for a family in crisis that extra £1 is 3 bags of pasta, yk?
The wipes, wet bag, liners and wool covers are all the same at 2.25, 1.50, 1.70 and 2.50 respectively.

Still using the bucket for dirties but have discarded the lid as I keep it up on the changing table anyways, and they aren't in there long enough to smell

The flexitub was too big and hurt me to lift when full so I subbed it for a 15l bucket that my mom gave me. Still using the wipes boxes and the the octopus, but I'm finding Im using a second octopus to give me more space on my line. I already owned it to use for socks though so I'm counting it as free.

So the total of what I'm actually using is £52.09. You could get that down further but I'm happy with where we are with that. Translated that is $70.11 USD, which I don't think it bad for a baby in nappies full time and a toddler at night.

Isabel
Mama to BB, 13
S, 4
T, 2
And Miss A 27/3/2020

Always missing my 5 9/10-1/12
My new venture! www.facebook.com/dizzyknits

Last edited by Earthmummy07; 05-18-2018 at 07:09 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Earthmummy07 For This Useful Post:
Love_Is_Patient (05-18-2018)