Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:35 PM   #31
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gothard resigned

That is what Shelia Gregoire wrote about. If men are the ultimate earthly authority and women are subservient, eventually you become corrupted.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
mommychem (06-24-2015), rjy9343 (06-24-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 08:04 PM   #32
Dovenoir
Rose Garden

Dove - noir

Dovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond repute

Crap. I know him.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:25 PM   #33
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovenoir View Post
Crap. I know him.
Gothard? Or the other guy?
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:52 PM   #34
Dovenoir
Rose Garden

Dove - noir

Dovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond repute

Kenneth.

I went to the Harding mentioned in the article. And I went to informational meetings about the prison ministry. One of my friends has at least 13 years invested in it.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:11 AM   #35
MissusLeata
Rose Bouquet

MissusLeata is a glorious beacon of lightMissusLeata is a glorious beacon of lightMissusLeata is a glorious beacon of lightMissusLeata is a glorious beacon of lightMissusLeata is a glorious beacon of lightMissusLeata is a glorious beacon of light

I really wouldn't worry about Gothard's comeback. He has a small group of super loyal followers, but I don't think he'll get many more.

The new ATI leadership is actually warning people to not even try to talk to him as they deem him unrepentant. If ATI survives all of the lawsuits they are facing, I think it'll come out a different organization.

The new ATI president was a friend of my hubby's years ago and he was in our home a few months ago. We talked for hours about the problems and when we started talking of the bad theology in the material, his wife got out a pen and started taking notes.

They are really trying and want to right the wrongs.
3PeasInAPod (07-10-2015), BarefootBetsy (07-10-2015), MercyInDisguise (07-10-2015), rjy9343 (07-10-2015), ValiantJoy07 (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 09:46 AM   #36
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissusLeata View Post
The new ATI president was a friend of my hubby's years ago and he was in our home a few months ago. We talked for hours about the problems and when we started talking of the bad theology in the material, his wife got out a pen and started taking notes.

They are really trying and want to right the wrongs.

Ok, I really am not meaning for this to sound snarky. My chronic fatigue is off the charts today and I can't think how to phrase this, but if they are taking over ATI, then wouldn't they already know what is in the books in the theology? If they don't know what scriptural theology the business stands for, why would they take it over?
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
BlessedBlue (07-10-2015), HadassahSukkot (07-10-2015), MercyInDisguise (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 09:59 AM   #37
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

That's really good news. It would be wonderful if a real reformation came out of all of this. I really hope it happens and that ATI becomes something so much better than it was.

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedchen View Post
Ok, I really am not meaning for this to sound snarky. My chronic fatigue is off the charts today and I can't think how to phrase this, but if they are taking over ATI, then wouldn't they already know what is in the books in the theology? If they don't know what scriptural theology the business stands for, why would they take it over?
Not necessarily, I was home schooled and only had a vague idea of what was in it. I grew up around it, but not with it. On the surface, it sounds like a really good and Godly thing. I can see someone taking over ATI under the impression that the message is sound, it is just the leader that needed to go.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 10:06 AM   #38
MissusLeata
Rose Bouquet

MissusLeata is a glorious beacon of lightMissusLeata is a glorious beacon of lightMissusLeata is a glorious beacon of lightMissusLeata is a glorious beacon of lightMissusLeata is a glorious beacon of lightMissusLeata is a glorious beacon of light

The man who took over was never an ATI student. He worked in local offices and then was over a Training Center and then a missionary. He did the missionary work with ATI, but didn't give them much control (intentionally). His wife was a student, but often older students didn't do the school work.

There were times when I pointed out a teaching and he'd think it had presented differently and his wife would say, "No, she's right." Sometimes, you just need someone to connect the dots.

I don't really know what will happen. There are pending lawsuits that could be the complete end of ATI....or they might be able to re-structure it. My hubby is trying to keep doors open with the new leadership (we've been out for years and vocal in our opposition) because they do seem really willing to hear about the problems.
BarefootBetsy (07-10-2015), rjy9343 (07-10-2015), Vipers_Princess (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 10:08 AM   #39
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

I hope it changes.

RJY, oh I understand at first it sounds good. I would just think if you are in ministry, you would know what the organization teaches before you actually took the job. (sorta like the Pope taking over at the SBC and being surprised that they do not use a Rosary.)

Looks like they would already know that the only reason you are sick is because you have sin in your life and you just need to stay in a room and pray until you are better and not take medication...........that just seems like a huge thing not to know.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (07-10-2015), rjy9343 (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 10:29 AM   #40
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedchen View Post
I hope it changes.

RJY, oh I understand at first it sounds good. I would just think if you are in ministry, you would know what the organization teaches before you actually took the job. (sorta like the Pope taking over at the SBC and being surprised that they do not use a Rosary.)

Looks like they would already know that the only reason you are sick is because you have sin in your life and you just need to stay in a room and pray until you are better and not take medication...........that just seems like a huge thing not to know.
Depends on the spin they got. If they didn't grow up in it, just around it they could think that illness needs prayer and medication. It's also possible they think that all illness is demonic in nature and medicine does not do any good. Or maybe they do have an idea of what's in there but they want to change it and give families truth and hope.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 01:19 PM   #41
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh wow. The new leaders sound promising!

It's possible, with less extreme folks taking over ATI, that the more extreme folks would simply splinter off and continue with the extreme beliefs, but then maybe the extreme stuff at least would stop being so mainstream

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:59 PM   #42
MissusLeata
Rose Bouquet

Some things have, reportedly, been changed already. When I was in ATI, students as young as 14 were sent to Training Centers, even overseas, for months at a time to work. The new President's wife didn't even know that happened, though she was a student, and they've made it so that you have to be an adult to work for them.

One of the areas that some of the worse teachings came in was through the "Basic Care" Department. That whole department has been closed down.

They want to provide homeschool support without the "non-optional" teachings...they see them as possibly helpful suggestions.

But not all former ATI students trust the new leadership. We've had really good experiences with the new president. My husband and I both knew him years ago and see a huge change in him. But time will tell how much that changes the system, if it survives all the lawsuits.
BarefootBetsy (07-10-2015), Maedchen (07-10-2015), rjy9343 (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 05:27 PM   #43
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

It is a start and sounds promising!

Those that have been hurt by ATI in the past will need to watch and wait because of overcoming deep hurt.

As to some being sent overseas in the past, I always thought that it was just in the USA. That sounds more like how the Mormons do the mission trips they are required to do. (GOthards rules sound more like FLDS)
Old 07-10-2015, 06:36 PM   #44
MissusLeata
Rose Bouquet

There were lots of overseas trips. My sister met her hubby in Russia. My husband served there several times and also went to Mongolia and Taiwan with ATI. There were trips to New Zealand, Australia, Singapore, Peru and Mexico.

In Russia, they had a Training Center that had some of the worst abuse that you can imagine. It was awful!

My sister's health was destroyed while serving in Russia. And many other girls suffered the same fate. They worked their "help" into adrenal exhaustion.
LLMom (03-14-2016)