Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] > Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* A public forum.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:02 PM   #1
Paz
Deactivated

Paz is on a distinguished road
Default Any winter soup recipes?

Any yummy winter soups for this cold weather?

I'm falling into a tofu-noodle rut.
Paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:33 PM   #2
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any winter soup recipes?

I don't have anything exact. But, I'll share a few off my head.

Potato Soup:
Saute onions and garlic in oil till wilted.
Fill up pot with well scrubbed cut up potatoes.
Cover with a can of coconut milk and some Unchicken broth.

Other options are some curry powder sauted in with the onions or a few drops of liquid smoke.

I like corn added to mine, but some people like peas.

Pumpkin soup:
Saute onion and garlic. Ginger if you want.
Add a can of pumpkin, a can of coconut milk.
Top with Cilantro.

Vegetable Soup:
Saute garlic and onion.
Chop up veggies and put them in the pot. We use fresh veggies for this. Zucchini, brocolli, cauliflower, potatoes, a can of beans, carrots, tomatoes etc. Fill up the pot really full. Then pour in enough water to cover and about 1/2 cup tamari or Braggs. Season with parsley, or thyme.

I want your tofu noodle soup recipe. I always get the little cans and it's too expensive.

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:39 PM   #3
ShangriLewis

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=10103.0

Tortilla soup sounds good, too. I just throw cans of stuff in, but here is a recipe.

It's usually canned tomatoes, green chilis, corn, beans and veggie broth. Then I put a handful of chips in the bowl and pour on the soup. Serve with fresh cilantro, tofutti sour cream, chunks of avocado and wedges of lime.

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:18 PM   #4
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShangriLewis
I don't have anything exact. But, I'll share a few off my head.

Potato Soup:
Saute onions and garlic in oil till wilted.
Fill up pot with well scrubbed cut up potatoes.
Cover with a can of coconut milk and some Unchicken broth.
OMGoodness! I am eating this right now and it is SO good! We are packed up for our move next week, and all of my spices are already in boxes, so I just used the coconut milk, potatoes, and onions along with some pepper and then used water in place of the broth. It is SO good! I can't wait for my dh to try it because potato soup is one of his absolute favorites and due to ds' milk allergy he hasn't had any.

Thanks so much, Heather!!! I was wishing I had your phone number so I could call you up and blow you a kiss

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:21 PM   #5
abbiroads
Rose Garden

abbiroads has disabled reputation

I have a vegan cheesy soup recipe. I made it with broccoli and served it on mashed potatoes. If you want the recipe, I can post it later.
ds2: Eli 4/06
ds3: Judah 4/08
abbiroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:36 PM   #6
Garnet
Deactivated

Garnet is on a distinguished road

I have done the pumpkin soup recipe. Its good.

vegan mushroom soup

1 package of fresh mushrooms diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion diced
2 cloves of garlic diced
salt and pepper to taste
flour approx 1 tablespoon
veggie broth, unchicken broth or water

saute veggie in 1 tbs of olive oil, and remove with slotted spoon. add 1 tbs olive oil and flour, whisk together while cooking on low. Add unchicken broth, veggie broth or water slowly, whisking with each addition. You will have a mix that looks like gravy, continue adding liquid until you reach the consistency you want. Add back in veggies and heat till hot. Add salt and pepper to taste.

french onion soup( good with garlic bread and salad)

5 1/4 cups vegetable broth, divided
4 onions, sliced
1/8 teaspoon white sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon brandy

DIRECTIONS
In a large non-stick saucepan, heat 1/4 cup vegetable broth. Stir in the onion and cook over medium heat until golden, 15 minutes.
Stir in the sugar and flour. Pour in the remaining 5 cups vegetable broth and the wine. Stir in the bay leaf, thyme and black pepper. Bring to a boil and let boil 8 minutes, stirring constantly; then reduce heat, partly cover, and simmer 30 minutes.

or this version with beer:
olive oil for saute
10 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
1 quart veggie broth, or unchicken broth, or water
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 bay leaf

DIRECTIONS
In a large saucepan over medium heat, add oil Stir and cook onions in oil until golden brown, 15 minutes.
Stir in the garlic and cook 1 minute. Pour in the beer, and 1 quart liquid and season with mustard, thyme, black pepper and the bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:21 PM   #7
ShangriLewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkie
Thanks so much, Heather!!! I was wishing I had your phone number so I could call you up and blow you a kiss
Well, I might just have to find a way to get that to you

Isn't it good? It was from the gluten free recipes on the special needs board...I think. I just change it to fit our needs. I wasn't sure how it would taste, but it's so good and easy. My Dad always made potato soup and I was missing it so very much. I'm really loving the coconut milk. Potato soup is such a great comfort food.

Heather

Old 12-13-2006, 02:23 PM   #8
ShangriLewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbiroads
I have a vegan cheesy soup recipe. I made it with broccoli and served it on mashed potatoes. If you want the recipe, I can post it later.
Please, please!!

And, Garnet the onion soup with the beer sounds delish. I'm thinking something really dark with be amazing with that. I never have though about doing that...so maybe that will on the menu this next week. I'm still drinking most of my food

Heather

Old 12-13-2006, 02:26 PM   #9
Mama Calidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShangriLewis
Vegetable Soup:
Saute garlic and onion.
Chop up veggies and put them in the pot. We use fresh veggies for this. Zucchini, brocolli, cauliflower, potatoes, a can of beans, carrots, tomatoes etc. Fill up the pot really full. Then pour in enough water to cover and about 1/2 cup tamari or Braggs. Season with parsley, or thyme.
We add barley and it makes the soup really filling. A squirt of fresh lime juice when you serve it up gives it a little kick.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:47 PM   #10
Garnet
Deactivated

Garnet is on a distinguished road

seeing mama calidads name reminded me about a veggie tortilla soup. I can't remember the exact recipe but its got like 1 cans of pinto beans, 1 can black beans, 1 large can of crushed tomatoes, 1 can of corn, about 2-4 tablespoons salsa, 2 cups water, 1 clove diced garlic, 1 tsp. chili powder, 1 small onion diced. Mix all ingriendients together and simmer until garlic and onion are soft. serve with tortilla chips. Can be topped with cheese and sour cream.

Heather, the onion soups are good with cheeses too, parmesan or guyvere? ( spelling)
Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:24 PM   #11
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute

I love love love Butternut Squash soup.

Buy a big ole butternut squash, hollow it out like a pumpkin at halloween and bake it at 350 until it falls down
scoop out all the 'meat'
Add milk of your choice....coconut, almond (very good) cow, goat....whatever
several cloves of garlic
Pepper and salt to taste ( I like Jane's Crazy Mixed Up Salt)
Puree the whole mixture in the blender and serve.

I also like this with a couple of cooked potatos added, and it extends the soup quite a bit.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:06 PM   #12
Bonnie
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bonnie has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison In TX
I love love love Butternut Squash soup.

Buy a big ole butternut squash, hollow it out like a pumpkin at halloween and bake it at 350 until it falls down
scoop out all the 'meat'
Add milk of your choice....coconut, almond (very good) cow, goat....whatever
several cloves of garlic
Pepper and salt to taste ( I like Jane's Crazy Mixed Up Salt)
Puree the whole mixture in the blender and serve.

I also like this with a couple of cooked potatos added, and it extends the soup quite a bit.
This sounds marvellous...can you give me a very rough estimate of how long we're talking in the oven? 30 min? 2 hours?

Mauka & Makai 12/29/08

Occasional "Dorm Mom" to M the wonder student

Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:07 PM   #13
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute

45min-1 hour.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:23 AM   #14
Blue Savannah
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Blue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.top secretrecipes.com/recipedetail.asp?sessionid=&login=yes&id=92&page=

One of our favorites! I think it would convert easily to a vegan recipe. One tip: I bake the potatoes longer than the recipe says. It helps the flavor to let them "carmelize". I usually cook them about 75 mintues (til they start to run out of their skins). I also think it takes longer than an hour for the soup to cook. The aroma is tantalizing!
Blue Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote