Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] > Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* A public forum.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Yum, Yum, Yum! Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream!

I have been getting really cheap avocados lately and can't eat them fast enough.
A while back, a friend of mine told me about a recipe in The Sneaky Chef that used avocado and was an ice creamy type recipe.
It had a frozen banana, some avocado, cocoa powder, and a little sweetener and very little milk.
I have made "ice cream" with the frozen bananas before, pretty much like that, without the avocado. And I make thick smoothies with frozen bananas and strawberries and chocolate soy milk all the time. I expected this to pretty much be the same, but wanted to use up the avocado left over from lunch, so I tried it.

Wow!! I could not believe the difference! The avocado made it so smooth, thick, and, well, creamy. And it had that fatty. lickable ice cream feeling, which is what I think has been missing from my banana ice cream.

Next co-op order, I am going to get a box of bananas and avocados and make a big batch and freeze it in the ice cream ball.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
sprout
Rose Garden

sprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yum, Yum, Yum! Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream!

yum....that does sound good!

could you give more details on how to make it please
sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

I do not know the exact recipe that was in the book, but I can tell you how I made it.
I froze 2 big bananas (sliced for easier blending)
I put the bananas in the blender with half an avocado, a heaping spoonful of cocoa, and a splash of chocolate soymilk in the blender. My blender has one of those wands for stirring, so it was easy to blend it up smooth, but I did add another small splash of soymilk. I tasted it and added a little honey and a little more cocoa. I hardly added any milk at all, so it was very thick. I bet a food processor would be better.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

Old 06-08-2009, 07:58 PM   #4
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Neat! I love avocados... where have you been finding them cheap? At Walmart they've been 1.08 each.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

I am in a produce co-op that buys in bulk at the farmer's market. The savings is tremendous!
This last time, I got blueberries for 1.11 a pint, pineapples for 1.50 each, and peppers for 30 cents each! I bet you could find some moms from your church to start one with you.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

Old 06-08-2009, 08:10 PM   #6
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute

cool.

26, 23, 19, 15, 12, 8, 2, <1
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #7
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLifeMama
I am in a produce co-op that buys in bulk at the farmer's market. The savings is tremendous!
This last time, I got blueberries for 1.11 a pint, pineapples for 1.50 each, and peppers for 30 cents each! I bet you could find some moms from your church to start one with you.
That's great! I need to do something like that.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:50 PM   #8
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute

Oh - I bet I could use coconut milk instead of soy and make this! I've been missing ice cream since going dairy free.

It doesn't taste too banana-y?

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:56 PM   #9
BHope
Rose Garden

Finding the Good

BHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singingmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLifeMama
That's great! I need to do something like that.
I need a blender so that I can try something like this. Sounds like it could be really yummy.

DD1 (8 years old)
DD2 (6 years old)
DD3 (4.5 years old)

Eternally missing DFS3 (stored safely in our hearts) and DFS1
Praying for Little R as she transitions into a new family.
May you always know God's love and His comfort.
BHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:58 PM   #10
HummusDip

Doing this tomorrow with my almost moldy avocado.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:05 PM   #11
BeckaBlue
Rose Garden

AKA mama2madj

BeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond repute

bookmarking this!!
K, 14 ENP
A, 11 INJ
N, 10 EFJ
J, 5.5 ETJ
El 10/11
D 1/13

"Against the grain should be a way of life. What's worth the prize is always worth the fight" - Nickelback
BeckaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:49 PM   #12
Taedareth
Rose Garden

The Doctor: If there's one thing I can't stand it's an unpunctual alien attack!

Taedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond repute

That ice cream ball is hilarious! Very creative

Soapmaker. Sourdough baker. Seed sower. Duck grower. Hungarian speaker. Torah seeker.

Keep within me / a stillness / deeper and sweeter / than a forest's / in mid of winter. ~Hebridean Altars
Taedareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:30 AM   #13
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

It did not taste banana-y at all really. Not like when I have made smoothies or something. Just keep tasting it as you blend and add what you think it needs.
And any type of milk would work, I am sure. The soy just happened to be all I had.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

Old 06-09-2009, 08:28 AM   #14
sprout
Rose Garden

sprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for sharing!
sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:02 PM   #15
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute

Made this tonight. I didn't have cocoa, so I used mini chocolate chips. It was very yummy, but definitely had a strong banana flavor to it. Still, the closest thing I've had to ice cream since going on an elimination diet almost a year ago!

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote