Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #1
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default What kinds of meals do your kids love to cook?

I need some ideas for easy things my kids might actually enjoy making that would be family dinners. Also is there anything my 7-year-old could make basically unassisted? Right now she makes beanadillas (like quesadillas but with beans).

Healthy snacks would be okay, too.

I'm looking for vegan stuff but please feel free to post stuff that isn't vegan because I'm pretty good at adapting.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:50 PM   #2
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What kinds of meals do your kids love to cook?

My Dd cooks a lot. Yesterday she made scallion cakes. She's made baozi, countless stir fries including rice. She makes sausage and peppers, dumplings etc. she also makes omelettes, regular pancakes, waffles, stew. She likes to find YouTube recipes.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 02:53 PM   #3
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quesidillas are my kids favorite things to cook!

That may also be the most complicated.

They do eggs, pasta, anything they can boil. They are really more stovetop cookers than things that cook or bake in the oven, but maybe I should ramp it up for them.

I'm interested in other people's suggestions too.

I love the idea of youtube suggestions. My kids love to learn things from youtube.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 02:57 PM   #4
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

My kids were 6 and 9 when they made pancakes for their grandparents...while the grandparents were still sleeping.

Cakes

Pancakes

Fried eggs and bacon (turkey-not that that helps a vegan!)

Smoothies

Toast (could do French toast- is there a vegan way to make this. lol)

Pasta

Quesadillas
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 03:30 PM   #5
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Pancakes, waffles, & muffins
meatballs
baked taquitos
chicken cutlets
burgers
stir-fry
pasta w/pesto
pizza (from real to English muffin)
nachos
French toast casserole
bread
zucchini noodles
eggs
salsa - not really cooking, but helpful
simple pasta sauces - pesto, lemon & garlic, alfredo, carbonara (to my chagrin, I can't get them to pay attention long enough to make a pot of marinara. I'm not going to be able to call these kids Italian!)
roasted veggies, esp.green bean "fries" and radishes/parsnips

My kids tend to be picky - they won't usually eat soups or casseroles, so they haven't tried making those.

I taught cooking classes at our co-op for kids 2nd grade up. With direction, they made all sorts of simple recipes. I started with knife skills and went from there. I'll bet your library has loads of kids' cookbooks that would give you some more ideas. I found the international cookbooks helpful. There are vegan and vegetarian cookbooks aimed at kids, too.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (10-18-2017), bananacake (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 04:01 AM   #6
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread -- you've totally inspired me!

Do you have a slow cooker? If so, IMO, that opens up even more possibilities because it doesn't involve heavy items in/out/on/off an oven or stove . . . which is asking a lot of a 7 yo.

My kids love split pea soup in the slow cooker. For cutting onions & carrots, I use the food processor, my kids use the Pampered Chef food chopper. Other than that, it's just measure & dump.

Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker has a few recipes I can think of off the top of my head that are simple enough for kids. Lentil Sloppy Joes, Dal, Lentil Soup . . .

---------- Post added at 03:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 AM ----------

I know everyone has their favorite "refried" bean recipe. This is mine. A 7 you can easily make these & prepare the fixings for tacos or burritos.

This stovetop chili recipe is easy enough too. It has a lot of seasonings, so I would probably stage it -- measure out the spices in the morning, assemble & cook it later.

A few others from the cookbook I mentioned above are Wild Mushroom Risotto (which is sooo good!), Enchilada Polenta, Miso-Braised Tofu and so many soups/chilis/chowders.

---------- Post added at 04:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 AM ----------

I just found this Cauliflower Rice Fajita Bowl, which looks SO good. It would be a mom-recipe, but I'm posting it anyway because your family may like it.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mommylove For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (10-19-2017), ECingMama (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 08:06 AM   #7
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Great ideas so far- keep 'em coming!

How do you do baked taquitos? That would be fun.

We have an instant pot, which is a slow cooker and a pressure cooker.

My plan is to give my 13 and 10 yo's both recipe binders for Christmas (they both have made some but I am going to do it with dividers, a nice cover, etc).. Then they will each get 3 recipes- one dessert, one snack, and one main dish, plus any obscure ingredients we don't have on hand, sort of like Blue Apron. I want to make sure they get fun stuff I don't usually buy like butterscotch chips, etc. I really think they will love this. And my 7yo will get something else but if she seems like she wishes she had one, too, I'll work her up one for her 8th bday in March.

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

Last edited by Aerynne; 10-19-2017 at 08:14 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 12:17 PM   #8
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

What a fun gift idea!

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mommylove For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 04:12 PM   #9
Aerynne
Rose Garden

My 7yo made lasagna tonight. It's in the oven now. We like a simple lasagna made of uncooked noodles layered with spaghetti sauce and cheese so it's really easy to put together. I had her put it in the oven while the oven was cold but I will get it out. I can't believe I forgot about lasagna. I won't be able to eat it (cheese) but I will eat something else.

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024