Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:19 PM   #1
tryin-to-FROG
Rose Bouquet

tryin-to-FROG is just really nicetryin-to-FROG is just really nicetryin-to-FROG is just really nicetryin-to-FROG is just really nice
Default Cheap, Healthy, Filling lunches for a large family?

I thought there was a very old thread here on this topic but can't find it. Does anyone have ideas? Trying to be frugal and not eat junk but needing to fill tummies of 6 kids ages 4 to 15 Any ideas or is there another thread on this? Thanks!!
Soliloquy (12-15-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 09:38 PM   #2
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheap, Healthy, Filling lunches for a large family?

bean burritos (make beans from dry)

fried rice (try to go minimal on the oil and maximize the veggies if you want healthy. I just use the frozen mixed veggies. They're cheap and people like them).

chili or taco soup

any kind of soup plus homemade, whole wheat bread (can be breadsticks, garlic rolls (make like cinnamon rolls but use garlic and your fat of choice with bread dough)

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
greengirl19 (12-16-2017), Quiteria (12-17-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 09:40 PM   #3
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Lunch is so hard. Everyone wants to eat at different times, and really, making a bunch of sandwiches is tedious and time consuming.

Soup is good, and easy to toss in the instant pot to be done around lunchtime and whenever people want to eat, but none of my kids are big soup eaters. I'd probably make lentil or black bean soup all the time if they were into it.
Healthy is different to different people. Most people won't think bready things are healthy, but I am OK with it.
We don't have any dietary restrictions, so we can eat just about anything.
Veggie wraps are a favorite. Whatever veggies I have cut up for salads go in the tortilla with either hummus or cream cheese, then salad greens, a tiny bit of dressing, and just roll it up.
I just use plain ol' white flour tortillas, so they are cheaper than a loaf of bread. If we are having sandwiches, we go through a whole loaf, so tortillas are more economical, even if I get the good, whole wheat kind.
I have been known to get big loaves of French bread if we are having sandwiches and making them like a party sub instead of making individual sandwiches.

My son makes tuna melts once a week. Trader Joe's whole wheat English muffins, toasted in the toaster, then topped with tuna straight from the pouch, then covered with cheese slices. Heat it in the oven until the cheese is melted. Serve with sliced cucumbers and cherry tomatoes. Only half the kids eat it. The others usually do English muffin pizza instead.

We do a lot of "snacky lunch" with whatever we have on hand.

I can't wait to see other peoples suggestions. I get so bored with lunch.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

Last edited by RealLifeMama; 12-14-2017 at 09:43 PM.
RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (12-17-2017), tryin-to-FROG (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 09:43 PM   #4
tryin-to-FROG
Rose Bouquet

tryin-to-FROG is just really nicetryin-to-FROG is just really nicetryin-to-FROG is just really nicetryin-to-FROG is just really nice

My version of healthy has changed quite a bit with the increase in mouths to feed. Yes I love soups but they are not usually fond of it- Lately we have been defaulting to turkey sandwiches using deli turkey but that gets expensive. The younger ones are ok with pbj, but Like the wrap idea too that could be a bit healthier also.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:49 PM   #5
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryin-to-FROG View Post
My version of healthy has changed quite a bit with the increase in mouths to feed. Yes I love soups but they are not usually fond of it- Lately we have been defaulting to turkey sandwiches using deli turkey but that gets expensive. The younger ones are ok with pbj, but Like the wrap idea too that could be a bit healthier also.
I know! My kids love turkey sandwiches, but $$$$. I get turkey from the deli once a month.
We also do Annie's Mac and Cheese twice a month. Three boxes feed everyone, so that is just about $4-5. That costs about the same as PB&J depending on what kind of bread we use.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (12-17-2017), tryin-to-FROG (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 10:00 PM   #6
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, more- some of my kids really like saag aloo and it is very healthy!

Also we do a lot of baked French fries when I don't have a little baby. Just chop up potatoes into fry shapes, salt, and baked on lightly greased or silicone pans. I know most people wouldn't consider that lunch but we do. I don't make them now since I don't have time to peel potatoes and I miss them.

We make pita pizzas a lot. I don't know healthy those are but they aren't terrible for you and they are fairly cheap (we get pita breads at Costco) and everyone likes them.

Oh, and sushi bowls. Just make a bunch of sushi rice and chop up toppings (we use seaweed, cucumber, avocado, sesame seeds, and ginger). Then we throw all that stuff in a bowl- much easier than making sushi.

Pancakes can be fairly healthy depending on how you make them, and they are definitely cheap and easy.

Do you ever eat potato pancakes? Those are cheap and yummy, too. I like them with applesauce.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
greengirl19 (12-16-2017), Quiteria (12-17-2017), tryin-to-FROG (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 10:15 PM   #7
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

Aglio e olio (pasta in garlic sauce. We usually add parm)
Instant pot fried rice
French bread pizza
Tuna or chicken patties
Pancakes spread with peanut butter and rolled up. Cut into sushi slices of your kids are into that
Egg salad sandwiches
Baked potatoes topped with veggies and cheese or leftovers.
Dumplings
Hong Kong noodles
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
tryin-to-FROG (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 11:29 AM   #8
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

This week I did a cabbage stir fry, where it was 1lb of meat and a whole head of cabbage, with garlic and ginger and soy sauce. It was really filling and would have made enough for all four us for two meals, except early bird decied she loved it and ate more than dh and I put together so it was only good for a meal and a half.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
graciousmomma (12-15-2017), Quiteria (12-17-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 01:10 PM   #9
graciousmomma

It'd be nice if you could pull me into town.

graciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
This week I did a cabbage stir fry, where it was 1lb of meat and a whole head of cabbage, with garlic and ginger and soy sauce. It was really filling and would have made enough for all four us for two meals, except early bird decied she loved it and ate more than dh and I put together so it was only good for a meal and a half.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Oh, we make something like that too Ours has a can of diced tomatoes in it as well, and I add just a bit of vinegar. My kids LOVE Chinese food, so when I started making it, I just told them we were having Chinese for dinner. They all love it
knitlove (12-15-2017), Quiteria (12-17-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 02:43 PM   #10
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

We also make Tortilla de Patata. Diced potatoes (if you use raw, fry them and drain) To cut down on frying, we bake potatoes and dice them so we can use them quicker.

In a little olive oil cook dice onion and garlic brown the potato dices and then add scrambled eggs (eggs= for the amount of potatoes you are using for a individual serving, 2 eggs, 9 inch skillet, probably 4 eggs...... use your discretion)

Cook like an omelet and then flip it like a pancake. If I am doing a family size, I have 2 skillets so I can just flip into the next skillet and not break the tortilla de patata. (in Spain, they would serve it plain with a side salad or you could add some small shrimp, ham or bacon. I am pretty sure it would work well with Turkey sausage that is pre-cooked and crumbled.)
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (12-17-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 03:52 PM   #11
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

My kids often scavenge for lunch. . I eat a big breakfast and a very small lunch. They do the opposite.

Soup is my favorite.

I'm looking for very filling, economical, packable lunches for skiing. Soup in a thermos is tricky but we do it. I'm thinking of baking a big pan of Mac & cheese and putting it in my thermal carrier. If I get my act together I could have burritos hot and packed.

Baked potatoes covered in chili (or stew) is another winter favorite.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (12-17-2017), tempus vernum (12-16-2017), tryin-to-FROG (12-22-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 05:29 PM   #12
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

If you eat bread, hand pies are a good make-ahead meal. The dough for these hand pies is fantastic. The filling good, too and lends itself to endless variations. (You can even use leftovers!) Empanadas and cornish pasties are other options, but the crusts for those are more like the pastry you would use for a dessert pie.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (12-17-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 07:49 AM   #13
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

We do some of the above but Leftovers is our main lunch. We made rice and mix w spaghetti sauce, taco meat refrigerator beans etc.

Corn tortillas w all of that too.

Quesadillas (corn tortillas refrigerator beans cheese and tomato)

We r gluten free, yeast free and can only eat 2 legumes. Bread is a very rare treat cuz of cost.

We also do egg salad and tuna salad in a bowl or w lettuce.

Other things are more expensive that we add (fresh fruit and veggies) but my rule in general is that there must be protein.

Oh and gravy. I add gravy to lots of leftover meats and rice. Just thickened seasoned chicken broth. Since broth is so cheap and healthy.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:33 AM   #14
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

Following, we're severely budgeting this coming year and food is a big cost in our household.

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:12 AM   #15
meagan
Newly Planted

meagan is on a distinguished road

We have beans with a lot of our meals. Hummus on everything is good because dry beans are cheap and it's filling. We like to have stuff ready to make wraps; we eat that a lot. Quinoa spiced up with salsa or both and spices is something we have a lot that's not too expensive. I buy it in 25lb bags at WinCo. That's how I buy beans, whole wheat pasta, and other dry goods too. We often have soup, but I see that that's not a favorite.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk
meagan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meagan For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (12-17-2017), tryin-to-FROG (12-22-2017)