Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 06-12-2007, 09:57 PM   #1
PurpleButterfly
Rose Garden

PurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spiders? Be prepared w/this poultice remedy!

When ds was a toddler, he was bit by a baby brown recluse spider. I happened to see and catch it, watched ds's bite get huge and terribly frightening within 2 hours it was unbelievable. Took him immediately to the ped where he got a gamma globulin (?) shot and strong antibiotics both topically and orally and even then it was like 12 hours before the wound stopped growing. Super scary stuff - brown recluse spider bites cause necrosis - they kill the tissue/muscle/everything and keep on going.

After that incident, I did a LOT of research and found out that one of the most powerful things to treat a brown recluse (or any dangerous spider/insect bite) with is a poultice made of high quality dried bentonite clay and liquid colloidal silver. I purchased these items (they're not cheap) and hoped we would never need them, but after seeing what could happen and so quickly, still felt glad to have them on hand just in case.

Two weeks ago, ds got bit again by a brown recluse! We didn't see it until he started complaining about his leg hurting, and then were horrified to discover TWO bites on his shin. The skin was hot, red, hard, and had the typical red rings kind of apppearance from a brown recluse bite, with the rings actually spreading before our eyes within minutes. His leg was so swollen, we couldn't believe we hadn't noticed it!

I immediately ran to the cupboard and grabbed the bentonite clay and colloidal silver, mixed them in a glass bowl with a wooden spoon to a thick poultice consistancy, and got ds situated on the sofa with his leg elevated on a towel, where I applied the poultice nice and thick. I was supposed to cover it with a towel but forgot that part and left it open to the air. I gave ds some OJ with echinaca and goldenseal plus a Vita C 500 mg chewable for immune boosting and anti-inflammatory help, and dh scratched the other part of his legs for ten minutes when ds complained of intense itching (which is a common reaction from this type of poultice treatment).

About two hours later, we rinsed the poultice off with tepid water and the skin was red everywhere the poultice had been. At first I freaked out, thinking the bites had continued to spread, because the poultice was covering way outside the original bite/red area. But then we realized that the skin was no longer hot/hard and the actual bite areas were nowhere near as swollen as they had been. Within an hour, the bites had reduced to almost nothing and the skin was back to a normal color/state. Dh was amazed and I was incredibly grateful to have been prepared and known (for the most part) what to do. If you have brown recluse spiders in your area/home, these are must-haves that could really save your family a tremendous amount of suffering!

These are the exact products that I used:

Therapeutic Living Dry Powder Clay (I have the TLC 8 oz. jar which was plenty for a nice sized poultice and there is still half a jar left)

FutureBiotics Advanced Colloidal Silver (This is the 4 oz. bottle which is plenty, also very very important that it is a 10ppm solution)

I'm sure any high quality bentonite and 10ppm colloidal silver would be effective. And both of these products can be used for a wide variety of natural health and healing - just excellent stuff to have in your healing pantry! I can't say enough about how well this poultice worked on my little boy and how grateful his daddy and I were to have them on hand that night! Hope this info might help someone else have the same reassurance if ever needed.

Fighting for my life against Carcinoid Lung Cancer
PurpleButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to PurpleButterfly For This Useful Post:
Auroras mom (06-13-2011), Blue Savannah (06-14-2011), celestial princess (06-14-2011), Chaos Coordinator (06-15-2011), Damselfly (06-16-2011), momyshaver (06-14-2011), mountainash (06-15-2011), Radosny Matka (06-12-2011), righteous mama (06-12-2011), Starfox (06-14-2011), Taedareth (06-15-2011), Thankfulforgrace (06-14-2011), Virginia (06-16-2011)
Old 06-12-2007, 10:36 PM   #2
Maggie
Deactivated

love

Maggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brown recluse spiders? Be prepared w/this poultice remedy...

Thank you, Kym!!! Maybe this should be a sticky. Was DS bitten in your home? I'm so glad you had that stuff and that it worked so well!
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 12:07 PM   #3
3xblessed
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

3xblessed has a reputation beyond repute3xblessed has a reputation beyond repute3xblessed has a reputation beyond repute3xblessed has a reputation beyond repute3xblessed has a reputation beyond repute3xblessed has a reputation beyond repute3xblessed has a reputation beyond repute3xblessed has a reputation beyond repute3xblessed has a reputation beyond repute3xblessed has a reputation beyond repute3xblessed has a reputation beyond repute

I saw this the day after you posted, Kym. Ironically enough I had just been bitten by something and had some swelling, itching, etc. I now have bentonite clay and colloidal silver in the cabinet. Thanks for passing on this info!

mom to three - ages 39, 33, & 19

Nana to one - 22 months

3xblessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:47 PM   #4
Annabella

Thanks for letting us know. I'm recovering from my 4th brown recluse bite. Had to go to the doctor and be put on bactrim but I may have to order some of this and keep around.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:30 PM   #5
PurpleButterfly
Rose Garden

PurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, fourth brown recluse bite! I hope you are able to get some of the supplies I mentioned; they really work and helped us avoid the doctor completely! Most importantly, there was no suffering or compromise to the immune system. It is most effective when applied immediately, but you can also use it at any time for healing benefits.

Dinah, I'm so glad you were able to stock up just in case - hope you never need them but you can always use them for numerous other health and even beauty (the clay) benefits. Because they stay "good" for so long, I consider it a very worthy investment to keep on hand exclusively for spider/insect bites.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:32 PM   #6
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute

A poltuice of lack walnut paste will also work. In Tyler the ER sends people to one of the local midwives who makes it.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allisonintx For This Useful Post:
Damselfly (06-16-2011), momyshaver (06-14-2011), Taedareth (06-15-2011)
Old 06-19-2007, 02:01 PM   #7
PurpleButterfly
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison In TX
A poltuice of lack walnut paste will also work. In Tyler the ER sends people to one of the local midwives who makes it.
Wow, that's definitely a testimony to black walnut paste! I have read that it can potentially cause harm to already-irritated skin, but can't find anything about that now. And I'm definitely no expert on black walnut paste! Look at this cool page I found when doing a quick search just now!

http://www.kumeyaay.com/history/arti...ail.html?id=14

Old 06-19-2007, 02:41 PM   #8
Iarwain
Rose Garden

Iarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond repute

Black walnut paste huh? What part of the nut is it made from? Nutmeats? Hulls? Or is it from the leaves? And how is it prepared?

Asking because my mom has a suspicious looking bite on her leg. She's been putting something (I forget now) on it and it's a little better but it has been a week and it's still red and peel-y and bigger than a quarter. Thankfully it hasn't turned black. I did suggest the bentonite/colloidal silver to her yesterday but I don't think she wants to go buy the stuff for it. OTOH we have black walnut trees in our yard and some nuts saved from last fall, a few with hulls still on.

ETA: Basil oil. I think that's what she was putting on it. It's nasty looking but so far doesn't look necrotic.
The Mad Scientist - 18
Princess - 15
Lemur - 12
Noodle - 9
... and little miss Rosebud - age 6
Iarwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:00 PM   #9
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

What is the shelf life of those items?
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:27 PM   #10
something glorious
Rose Garden

something glorious is just really nicesomething glorious is just really nicesomething glorious is just really nicesomething glorious is just really nice

wife to my wise and gentle DH

something glorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:56 PM   #11
JavaMama
Rose Garden

JavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, that's so good to know! MIL has been bitted twice by brown recluse.

Ya know, I was just thinking that I needed to re-stock my colloidal silver (we use CS salve for insect bites, ds is very sensitive)- and I thought about getting some kaolin clay to make my own funk butter- I need to compare the kinds of clay because I don't know much about them.
Homebirthing mama and midwife

Always remembering my youngest brother JK, forever 14 months old
JavaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:26 PM   #12
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

as a kid, my mom used bentonite clay on EVERYTHING... bug bite? clay pack. poisen ivy? clay pack. zit? clay pack. motercycle burn (that was bad), clay pack. i spent half my childhood packed in clay, .

and it really did work, it's amazing for drawing out infection and anything else (like poison) that needs to be drawn out. i think i even remember drinking it a few times for stomach bugs.

((((kym)))) i'm so glad ds is ok! how scary!

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crunchymum For This Useful Post:
Damselfly (06-16-2011), ECingMama (06-12-2011)
Old 06-12-2011, 09:15 PM   #13
SilverMoon
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

It takes less time to do a thing right than to explain why you did it wrong. — Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

SilverMoon has disabled reputation

Bumping now that we're in the summer months. I just delivered my jar of clay and bottle of colloidal silver to a friend who was bitten on the back of the neck by a brown recluse today. I hope the poultice works for her.
Since the bite is so close to the spine I told her to listen to her gut. If it tells her to go in, then go to the ER.

"Trust is rebuilt by focusing not on what the other person did or did not do but on critiquing one's own behavior, improving one's trustworthiness, and focusing attention not on words and promises but on actions, attitudes, and ways of being."
— Kenneth Cloke and Joan Goldsmith
The Art of Waking People Up

for the many, many wise voices we've lost

SilverMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SilverMoon For This Useful Post:
PurpleButterfly (06-15-2011)
Old 06-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #14
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation
Default Re: Spiders? Be prepared w/this poultice remedy!

thank you, Kym! My mother was bit by a Brown Recluse and used Shalomtion on it several times in a 24 hour period and the whole thing cleared up. It's good to have a few things on hand and I have bentonite clay and colloidal silver on hand as well.
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
PurpleButterfly (06-15-2011), SilverMoon (06-12-2011)
Old 06-12-2011, 09:32 PM   #15
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spiders? Be prepared w/this poultice remedy!

will stock this

Thanks
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote