Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
greenishmama
Rose Trellis

greenishmama is a jewel in the roughgreenishmama is a jewel in the roughgreenishmama is a jewel in the rough
Default coconut oil- why is it good?

I have been reading here and there about this and that, and have come across using coconut oil. I bought some today. Now that I have it I'm having a hard time with the idea of eating saturated fat.

I'm too worn out researching things lately. Can anyone tell me why coconut oil is supposed to be good for you and why it should replace butter and vegetable oils?
Also, should it be your main source of fat, a replacement, or just a certain amount a day?
greenishmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
NovelMama
Rose Garden

Our sweet family, 2017

NovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: coconut oil- why is it good?

I can't tell you about amounts and all that, but coconut is a superfood, and pretty much any way you can get it into you is good. Also, it's the only fat that does not change on a molecular level when it is heated, which is also good, though I can't remember why.
Inspirational Women's Fiction author
Children's storybook author
Homeschool coach
NovelMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NovelMama For This Useful Post:
greenishmama (05-11-2010), mollobe (05-11-2010)
Old 05-11-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
Auroras mom
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bringing wacky back

Auroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovelMama View Post
Also, it's the only fat that does not change on a molecular level when it is heated, which is also good, though I can't remember why.
Well, no - it's not the only oil that doesn't change on a molecular level when heated. However, because it is saturated, like lard and butter, it is very stable at high temperatures. Polyunsaturated fats, such as many plant oils, are very unstable when heated and undergo reactions that change their structure and can create harmful byproducts. Monounsaturated fats are less prone to this problem.

Generally speaking, you should never cook with vegetable oils. Olive oil should be eaten raw on salads and such. Coconut oil is lower molecular weight than the oils in butter even, so it should be used only at lower temps when cooking.

Coconut oil is antifungal in nature, which is great for the body. It has also been found to help in thyroid function. Many folks swear by its healing properties.

As far as fear of saturated fats, it is pretty well established now I think that there is not a correlation between saturated fats and heart disease. There is a lot of info you can read on that, but in the alternative health communities at least, the causal link is considered to be a total fallacy.

My personal stance on it is that I prefer to eat a moderate amount of a variety of wholesome fats - from nuts, butter, fish, meat, eggs, yogurt, cheese, and sometimes coconut oil.

"You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of dust
You make beautiful things out of us
You make things new
You are making me new"
- Gungor
Auroras mom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Auroras mom For This Useful Post:
Drew (05-14-2010), greenishmama (05-11-2010), homesteadmama (05-13-2010)
Old 05-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
greenishmama
Rose Trellis

greenishmama is a jewel in the roughgreenishmama is a jewel in the roughgreenishmama is a jewel in the rough

so... I know that cooking and baking is probably not healthy in some ways (I don't know a lot about whole foods, raw foods diet, etc.) But what fats or oils SHOULD we bake with or cook with? (different subject I know...)
Old 05-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

coconut is good for baking and cooking. I think that Safflower or Sunflower are good too..but not sure on that one.

www.nutiva.com has some good info about coconut oil

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
Garland
Rose Trellis

Garland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond repute

I'm curious too. I've tried some and love it! Even just eating it by the spoonful is yummy.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:46 PM   #7
mollobe
Rose Garden

.thankful.

mollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auroras mom View Post
Coconut oil is lower molecular weight than the oils in butter even, so it should be used only at lower temps when cooking.
I don't know what "molecular weight" means, but what about baking with co? Is that still healthier than butter?
Ian
: 9/07
Claire: 2/10
Owen: 4/13
mollobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #8
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

it makes the best buttermilk biscuits..... yummy!! and pie crusts..

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
Old 05-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #9
pirandellian
Deactivated

on moderated status

pirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond repute

I've got some but haven't fully gotten in the habit of using it. I do know that it's a 1-1 ratio if you are subbing it in and you can sub it in for pretty much anything (butter, crisco, etc).

My google reader has like, 200 results for "coconut oil" when I searched, but I pulled up a few blog posts that convinced me to buy/try.

Baseline Fats Chart

FAQ on Coconut Oil and how to use it

Uses of coconut oil

Q&A on Coconut oil

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

Oh, and I just noticed one of those said to put it on eczema spots. i'm going to have to try it for my super stubborn patch (the only thing that's been working has been steroid cream.. which I'm out of).
pirandellian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pirandellian For This Useful Post:
greenishmama (05-12-2010)
Old 05-12-2010, 11:41 AM   #10
greenishmama
Rose Trellis

[QUOTE=Auroras mom;3078264] Coconut oil is lower molecular weight than the oils in butter even, so it should be used only at lower temps when cooking.

QUOTE]

What about baking though- temps are usually like 350F and up.... does it destroy the good properties of it or turn it "bad"?
Old 05-12-2010, 12:24 PM   #11
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, no - it's not the only oil that doesn't change on a molecular level when heated. However, because it is saturated, like lard and butter, it is very stable at high temperatures. Polyunsaturated fats, such as many plant oils, are very unstable when heated and undergo reactions that change their structure and can create harmful byproducts. Monounsaturated fats are less prone to this problem.

Generally speaking, you should never cook with vegetable oils. Olive oil should be eaten raw on salads and such. Coconut oil is lower molecular weight than the oils in butter even, so it should be used only at lower temps when cooking.

Coconut oil is antifungal in nature, which is great for the body. It has also been found to help in thyroid function. Many folks swear by its healing properties.

As far as fear of saturated fats, it is pretty well established now I think that there is not a correlation between saturated fats and heart disease. There is a lot of info you can read on that, but in the alternative health communities at least, the causal link is considered to be a total fallacy.

My personal stance on it is that I prefer to eat a moderate amount of a variety of wholesome fats - from nuts, butter, fish, meat, eggs, yogurt, cheese, and sometimes coconut oil.
Does this mean that we really shouldn't be making popcorn with it(since that uses high heat)?

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenishmama View Post
so... I know that cooking and baking is probably not healthy in some ways (I don't know a lot about whole foods, raw foods diet, etc.) But what fats or oils SHOULD we bake with or cook with? (different subject I know...)
I think it depends on what camp you decide to go with.

I recently heard a speaker(affiliated with Weston Price, I believe) saying that all vegetable oils(corn, soy, sunflower, safflower, canola etc) are really bad for us, even if they are organic.

He recommended cooking/baking with lard, butter, palm fruit oil and coconut oil. (All organic/pastured/no abx, etc where that applies)

Here is a smoke point chart on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point
It confuses me, though, because it says extra virgin olive oil has a smoke point higher even than coconut oil. So is it really bad then to cook on the stovetop with olive oil(like sauteeing veggies and such)?
and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings

Last edited by Lady TS; 05-12-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #12
mollobe
Rose Garden

.thankful.

mollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobluegirl View Post
it makes the best buttermilk biscuits..... yummy!! and pie crusts..
Will you share these two recipes? They sound delish!
Ian
Old 05-14-2010, 12:25 PM   #13
Auroras mom
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bringing wacky back

Auroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenishmama View Post
I use butter, coconut oil, and honestly - olive oil (even though I shouldn't).

*** Re - the popcorn question - I use olive oil (I know, I know) or buter usually - but the butter can scorch. I dunno! Maybe use bacon fat, LoL. Sometimes it seems in all this health stuff that we just cannot win for lsoing? Because even if I use the right oil, I bet my pans are poisonous!

"You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of dust
You make beautiful things out of us
You make things new
You are making me new"
- Gungor
Auroras mom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Auroras mom For This Useful Post:
Lady TS (05-14-2010)
Old 05-14-2010, 12:33 PM   #14
mollobe
Rose Garden

.thankful.

Quote:
Sometimes it seems in all this health stuff that we just cannot win for losing?
That's how I feel - I cut out something or add something into our diets, then I find out something else we rely on isn't good. Pretty soon we'll only be drinking water and eating organic raw carrots. Oh wait, but our water has chlorine and fluoride and the carrots were grown with polluted rain water.
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to mollobe For This Useful Post:
Auroras mom (05-14-2010)
Old 05-14-2010, 12:39 PM   #15
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

coconut oil is supposed to be an excellent high heat oil.... or least I always thought so...

Molly..I just take a normal (Betty Crocker) buttermilk biscuit recipe and substitute coconut oil for the butter or shortening. Same thing with the pie crust.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The Following User Says Thank You to cobluegirl For This Useful Post:
mollobe (05-14-2010)