Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
NewLeaf
Deactivated
I support GCM!

NewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can I still use the wilted, sad looking kale?

I'm annoyed that a lot of my veggies aren't lasting very long.

I was going to make kale tonight. It's wilted a bit and the edges are turning yellow and quite yellow in spots.

Would it still taste okay? It's not poisonous is it?

And do not tell me 'of course it will taste bad and kill you because kale is gross!'.

I really wanted kale tonight but I'm not wasting my time if it's going to be bad!
NewLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
racheepoo
Deactivated

Don't confuse what is with what is possible.

racheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I still use the wilted, sad looking kale?

It probably won't taste AS good but I don't see why you couldn't still use it. I do that all the time in soups and stocks b/c I never remember to use veggies in time
racheepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to racheepoo For This Useful Post:
NewLeaf (06-10-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
Macky
Deactivated

Macky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like kale, but we do eat spinach. As long as it's still got some crispness to it, I would tear off the bad bits and use it in a cooked dish, but not something like a salad. If it was wilted completely, I'd throw it in the compost. Try tearing off the bad bits and giving it a soak in some cold water. That crisps up garden lettuce if you've harvested it in the middle of the afternoon when it's hot, which wilts it somewhat.

How are you storing your veggies? They each have different needs for storage (humidity, temp, etc.).
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:
NewLeaf (06-10-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
NewLeaf
Deactivated
I support GCM!

NewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a couple of sites that say it can mean it's been infected but it sounds like it happens while growing and starts from the stem up?

Ugh. It seriously crimps dinner prep to have to read some research article before you can cook and then to walk away not sure if the plant rot applies to your situation (and if eating plant rot is really bad for you or not. )

I'm thinking this is just 'didn't eat it quick enough' yellow and not 'infected' yellow?
Old 06-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
Macky
Deactivated

Macky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond repute

Bacterial wilts do happen in the field, but the plant never recovers – certainly not enough to be saleable. I'm sure when you bought it it wasn't wilted. A plant infected with wilt will show it right away in the field, not later at your table. You're good to go.
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:
NewLeaf (06-12-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
mellifera
Rose Trellis

mellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond repute

How does it smell? When kale gets old it starts to smell funky. As long as it doesn't stink, I would use it.
mellifera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
cbmk4
Rose Garden

INTJ

cbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond repute

I use kale and chard when they are wilted. They only wilt more when cooked or pureed in a smoothie anyway. I'd never use them if they turned slimey, however.

Mama to my four dear children ages 22, 19, (forever 13) and 10
cbmk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:55 PM   #8
NeshamaMama
Rose Garden

Formerly emilik :)

NeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond repute

I am the queen of using mushy produce Soft potatoes? Chuck 'em in a soup. Flaccid celery? Toss it in my chicken stock! Onions that start sprouting? Eh, you're going to chop them up anyway. Sad looking, half-eaten bananas? They occur often here and I purposely save them for a big batch of banana bread. Soggy/half-shriveled fruit goes into smoothies, bruised apples become crockpot applesauce, and yes, wilted kale would most certainly be cooked and eaten here. If you didn't get that already

I just can't bear to see fruits and veggies go to waste! Last time I was at my dad's I stopped him from throwing away some very sad looking celery ( "WAIT! I use that in stock!!! I'll take it home!") and he looked at me like I was crazy. Most things will still taste good when cooked properly, and as long it's not slimy or seriously ROTTED (and rotted does not mean a few spots here and there ) then into our dinner it goes!

Christopher
(INTP)

Mama to
Mayah Evangeline (01/10
)
and
Miriam Anneliese (05/12)
Living simply and loving my God!

NeshamaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #9
Zooey
Rose Trellis

Zooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilik View Post
I am the queen of using mushy produce Soft potatoes? Chuck 'em in a soup. Flaccid celery? Toss it in my chicken stock! Onions that start sprouting? Eh, you're going to chop them up anyway. Sad looking, half-eaten bananas? They occur often here and I purposely save them for a big batch of banana bread. Soggy/half-shriveled fruit goes into smoothies, bruised apples become crockpot applesauce, and yes, wilted kale would most certainly be cooked and eaten here. If you didn't get that already

I just can't bear to see fruits and veggies go to waste! Last time I was at my dad's I stopped him from throwing away some very sad looking celery ( "WAIT! I use that in stock!!! I'll take it home!") and he looked at me like I was crazy. Most things will still taste good when cooked properly, and as long it's not slimy or seriously ROTTED (and rotted does not mean a few spots here and there ) then into our dinner it goes!
This.
Not slimy=edible.
Especially since kale is going to be cooked, which is going to wilt it anyhow.
It defintely is not dangerous in any way. Nor gross either. (I kale!!)
Old 06-10-2011, 07:54 PM   #10
passthemanna
Rose Garden

"...to do justice,and to love kindness,and to walk humbly with your God..." Mi 6:8

passthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for reminding me i bought kale!

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
Photographer at Grace and Gratitude by TLC
https://www.facebook.com/GraceandGra...TLC/?ref=br_rs
passthemanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #11
NewLeaf
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirited Duo View Post
How are you storing your veggies? They each have different needs for storage (humidity, temp, etc.).
i throw them into the fridge?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirited Duo View Post
Bacterial wilts do happen in the field, but the plant never recovers – certainly not enough to be saleable. I'm sure when you bought it it wasn't wilted. A plant infected with wilt will show it right away in the field, not later at your table. You're good to go.
this was my thinking.

so would you all cut off the yellow or eat it?

i ended up running to buy more because there was so much yellow it wasn't worth the trouble to me. and i wanted A LOT of kale.