Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:34 PM   #1
squiddles
Climbing Rose

squiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do I persist with DS' elimination diet? Or give up?

I need advice or encouragement or something... i don't even know

DS who is 5 has had immune system issues his whole life, nothing serious... just sick more often or takes longer to kick the cold the whole family gets etc... recently I noticed that his tonsils are severely swollen, to the point that his airway was becoming obstructed when he slept on his back.

So, I removed dairy from his diet and that brought the tonsils down significantly. We let him have icecream once and he had an almost immediate case of explosive diarrhea...

Even though his issues have lessened a lot, and I know dairy is off limits, I wonder if there's more to address. His tonsils are still pretty red, his lymphs seem swollen all the time and his stool is still really loose.

So, I attempted to eliminate gluten. I am gluten free so I thought it would be easy... NOT SO!!! We have gone to two bday parties where I caved and let him have cake (dairy free), also MIL has an unhealthy relationship with food and cannot hang out with us without involving food.... eating out with us at our old favorites. She knows the dairy thing is serious. She knows we also cut gluten. But she just can't stop. In one sentence she can acknowledge his diet and then invite us to go get pizza!!!

I just feel like giving up on the whole gluten thing... he is otherwise totally happy and seemingly healthy. Do I ignore his stool issues? And the swollen tonsils? Could that even be a gluten thing, or something else?
The sleep apnea is under control as long as we stay off dairy.

Also, if I push through with this, how do we deal with the eating out thing with MIL... do I just always pack extra delicious food for him so he's not always missing out?
squiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for squiddles:
Rivendell Raven (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
Pragmatist
Rose Garden

Pragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I persist with DS' elimination diet? Or give up?

I would keep going. If he is reacting it is likely to get worse, not better.

We can't have milk or gluten and try to eat mostly grain free. I make my own cupcakes or other treats to send with my daughter for birthday parties or other occasions where there will be food she can't eat. It's no fun.

Strawberry Shortcake- 3/07

Huckleberry Pie- 9/11
Pragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pragmatist For This Useful Post:
Maedchen (10-31-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 12:49 PM   #3
OnAMission
Rose Trellis

Formerly kdhfly

OnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't ignore those symptoms. Do you have access to a pediatric GI dr? They may have some specific suggestions for food to try or ways to diagnose the issue. Have you noticed a difference off of gluten? What about soy since soy is similar to dairy? How carefully have you gone dairy free? If something has the ever nebulous "spices" or "natural flavors" and doesn't otherwise state that the food is dairy free, does he eat it? We have only been dealing with food issues since ds2 was born. How hard for you both!

I'm so sorry about the eating out thing. I would either pack extra delicious food or steer your MIL to places where it is easy to order something dairy free that your son likes. My ds2 has a lot of food issues, and we have found chipotle to be pretty good. I also google any restaurant we are considering to find what others have said about their food and the information the restaurant provides about allergens.

ETA: If our family is eating somewhere that doesn't work for ds2 and I (I'm dairy free all the time, but I'm nursing ds2, so allergen free at the moment), we get food for us either on the way there or on the way back so that we are still "eating out" like everyone else.

Last edited by OnAMission; 10-30-2014 at 12:56 PM.
OnAMission is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OnAMission For This Useful Post:
sweetpeasmommy (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
squiddles
Climbing Rose

squiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! Just talking this out is giving me the boost to stick with it! With dairy we are very strict, if there is any doubt we don't eat it. I will stick with the gluten elimination and remove soy too, since that should be easy. (the only soy in the house is this DS' soy milk I'll just switch him to some other milk alternative)

I can do it! I just need to not waffle around when we go and do things, we went shopping this afternoon to make sure we've got stuff in the freezer for when MIL brings junk over (like tomorrow)...

Also, I haven't pursued any medical advice beyond our Ped. But he is realllly lax about stuff (which is great for us being intact and not vaxing), so he brushes stuff off sometimes... I might take him back in and ask about further testing

Thanks ladies
Old 10-30-2014, 09:06 PM   #5
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Soy has been the hardest other than corn here. Gfcf has nothing on either of those. Soy is in most processed foods.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
Maedchen (10-31-2014), OnAMission (10-31-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 10:26 AM   #6
camperjen
Rose Trellis

i love life!

camperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond repute

You didn't say (I didn't catch?) how long you have been gluten free, but it can take a couple of months to truly get it all out of your system. With my dairy-allergic/sensitive boy (now 9yo), he was dx at 5.5yo and we started eliminating slowly. First cheese sticks, yogurt and regular milk and then other stuff and eventually (maybe even a year or more) all the "natural flavors" foods as well. The point, though, is that the first couple of months when he first went off it and should have felt better, his body did a "dairy dump" and he was sick MORE often (one of his symptoms was vomiting every 4-8 weeks since he was under a year) rather than less. In fact, it took over a year before his system truly started to show signs of being stronger, and now that it's been 4 years, it was only the past year or two that he gets sick *only as often* as his non-allergic little brother. That means three years until his body was in full-strength mode.

It might take longer than you think for the tonsils and swelling to go down. And it may get worse before it gets better.

---------- Post added at 01:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

OH, and about eating out. Yeah. My mom still doesn't really get it (it's been four years). We're coming up on holidays and they make me nervous every time. Two years ago my mom tried to tell me that her olive oil butter didn't have dairy in it but I knew from the brand name that it did. She finally had my sis get the packaging out of the garbage to prove it. Then at the meal she gave me trouble over telling my son that he couldn't have sweet potatoes (he hates them and had tried them only two months earlier and said yuck) because they were also packaged and most likely made with dairy. Sure enough, middle of the meal, my sister is again instructed to go to the garage and dig out the garbage package to prove it. She's forever suggesting italian restaurants (cheese, cheese and more cheese!) and stuff like that. As was suggested before, since my son is older, I ask him if we can go to ____ restaurant and I can buy him a subway sandwich on the way. He'll then eat the sandwich (on a plate) as his main dish and we will purchase drinks and sides (fruit, fries, whatever) from the restaurant. Sometimes he says no, he'd rather not do that - and we respect it every time. I don't think he knows the disputes between Mom and me about it, and frankly it's not his business. He would think it's his fault for having the allergy. It's my job to make it seem as every-day as possible and deal with it.
camperjen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to camperjen For This Useful Post:
OnAMission (10-31-2014), PlateauMama (11-01-2014), squiddles (10-31-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 01:57 PM   #7
squiddles
Climbing Rose

Thank you for sharing your experience! And this is why I came here for advice I had no idea it could take that long to leave his system! We've only been at it a couple months with a couple set backs in between.. Which starts us all over knowing it takes so long and could get worse before it's better is oddly encouraging... and gives me fuel to fight harder for him! Thank you so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to squiddles For This Useful Post:
camperjen (10-31-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 07:54 PM   #8
camperjen
Rose Trellis

i love life!

camperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond repute

camperjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:14 AM   #9
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I would keep going, too. As far as eating out with your mom, I would make a list of restaurants that offer GF & DF options that you feel are safe and stick to it. Those restaurants or nothing.

If possible, I would try to get an IgE and IgG panel done. It can be hard to find a doctor to order it since many doctor's think IgG reactions are irrelevant.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #10
squiddles
Climbing Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
I would keep going, too. As far as eating out with your mom, I would make a list of restaurants that offer GF & DF options that you feel are safe and stick to it. Those restaurants or nothing.

If possible, I would try to get an IgE and IgG panel done. It can be hard to find a doctor to order it since many doctor's think IgG reactions are irrelevant.

Good ideas we live on an island so our options are limited, but it's also pretty crunchy so they offer choices for special diets at the crunchy places, you know... The places MIL doesn't like lol... Does this mean I get to tell her no more greasy spoon diner?! :yay

Also, what should I know about the iGg test to help argue for getting it done? I'll look up info on it as soon as I get to the computer, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2014, 07:01 PM   #11
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how to present it to a doctor that doesn't believe in it. The textbooks say it's meaningless. We saw a pediatrician that ran a holisitic practice and had seen the wonderful results from giving the test and doing a 60-day elimination of the moderate and high IgG offenders. We had to pay for it out-of-pocket but it was worth it. Many NPDs and DCs offer it, too. If you're not in the US it might be easier or harder to get, I don't know.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote